Phono Cartridge pencil beam

linko

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

My first post. I searched the forums but didnt see what I am looking for.

I would like to find a very very small beam light that I can mount near my stereo and illuminate the exact area where my phono cartridge needle contacts the record when I am starting to play the record.

Figure the light might fall into an area one of the members ran across> I haven't found any on the internet. They make pin spots for clubs but not whit a 3 ' distance and giving a 1" diameter beam.

thanks

idleprocess

Flashaholic
An unusual request.

The original Inova X1 (circa 2004) comes to mind, but its output was exceptionally low and it's been out of production for at least 15 years now.

This request also seems to wish for a mounted light - possibly integrated into the turntable itself since a 1" spot isn't guaranteed to track the stylus depending on the start point.

linko

Newly Enlightened
An unusual request.

The original Inova X1 (circa 2004) comes to mind, but its output was exceptionally low and it's been out of production for at least 15 years now.

This request also seems to wish for a mounted light - possibly integrated into the turntable itself since a 1" spot isn't guaranteed to track the stylus depending on the start point.

Hi, yes this would be mounted on the cabinet next to where the turntable is. But no, this does not need to track the turntable arm. only illuminate the area where the stylus touches the record at the start. My old eyes have trouble seeing when I am dropping the stylus on the record at the start of the album. its always in the same location so the light will be fixed in place.

linko

Newly Enlightened
An unusual request.

Yes this is an unusual request. A new challenge.

I would like to illuminate the exact spot shown in the photo when I am placing the needle on the record. I use a hand held flashlight now and would like to mount a light on the cabinet next to the turntable and project the light to this exact spot.

Last edited:

KSLD

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

My first post. I searched the forums but didnt see what I am looking for.

I would like to find a very very small beam light that I can mount near my stereo and illuminate the exact area where my phono cartridge needle contacts the record when I am starting to play the record.

Figure the light might fall into an area one of the members ran across> I haven't found any on the internet. They make pin spots for clubs but not whit a 3 ' distance and giving a 1" diameter beam.

thanks
Fiber optic transmissive for the low weight on the tone arm. or even a bore sight light tube should work.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
We can not assume linko is the only person who seeks a solution to the challenge of precisely placing the needle on a record in less than ideal ambient lighting. This thread could provide a springboard for further innovation.

Due to the placement of the needle in relation to a human, thinking a headlamp would suffice. Simple enough to have one on the table next to the turntable.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
We can not assume linko is the only person who seeks a solution to the challenge of precisely placing the needle on a record in less than ideal ambient lighting. This thread could provide a springboard for further innovation.

Due to the placement of the needle in relation to a human, thinking a headlamp would suffice. Simple enough to have one on the table next to the turntable.
It is an interesting challenge regardless of whether the OP sees the replies.