Olight S1R Baton II – quicker shut off firmware?

enlighter

Newly Enlightened
The shut off using the power button of the S1R Baton II is very weird, it's not an immediate shut off like most lamps do it since the invention of the light bulb, instead there's a delay of about a second and a soft fade-out. I suppose it's a deliberate software implementation meant to look 'cool', however this 'feature' is absolutely terrible for tactical use. Often times a tactical light has to be activated just very briefly and it has to go off without delay.

Is there a way to change the firmware of this light accordingly? Could you help me with this or is it worth to contact Olight and ask for an update?

I'm also interested in recommendations of alternative lights (may be slightly bigger but not angled).

Thanks.

The shut off using the power button of the S1R Baton II is very weird, it's not an immediate shut off like most lamps do it since the invention of the light bulb, instead there's a delay of about a second and a soft fade-out.

Actually, LED lights are the first to shut off instantly, incandescent lights have "ramped down" as the filament cools. Many people (I am told) didn't actually like the instant shutoff and this sort of "soft" shutdown has been used by many makers. Also a smooth ramp up when turned on, not the instantaneous turn on of an LED.

Olight may have made the ramp a bit too long, as least for you.

The odds of Olight making any changes for you are 0.0000000000000000000... But you can give them feedback.

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
The Olight S1R Baton II torch is an EDC torch, not a 'tactical' one. The tiny, easy-to-carry size is quite indicative of this, as most tactical torches of any real use will be roughly hand-sized.

Best 'tactial' torch I have found so far is the Fenix TK11 TAC.
Big enough that you can operate it during moments of stress-induced loss of fine motor control, bright enough at 1600lm to blind most people, includes a strobe mode that isn't easy to activate unintentionally, but best of all has a physical lockout and mode switch that is easily operated.