3.6v 1A bulbs?

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
Does anyone know where in UK I can buy 3.6v 1A PR bulbs from?
I know they exist but I`m not paying a fiver for one, it`s to go in a 3 Cell Maglite.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe the numbering system is different there?
that k3 should be an easy one to get.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
These bulbs would be great and $12.30 for 10 isn`t bad, But :
EMS Rates US$29.90US$12.30+US$29.90=US$42.20
Fedex Rates US$32.90US$12.30+US$32.90=US$45.20

The postage is ridiculous!

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is for 100kg.
site says to place an order for a proper postage.
if a site wont let me check shipping cost with a simple zip code before registering,ect i move on.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
4v and halogen`s good! I have a 5v halogen in my 4D maglite that works quite well.

@Snakebite yeah, I`m a little bit the same too, I`m tired of the Spam attacks you get (usually ending in .XYZ) when giving some places your email addy.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
4v and halogen`s good! I have a 5v halogen in my 4D maglite that works quite well.

@Snakebite yeah, I`m a little bit the same too, I`m tired of the Spam attacks you get (usually ending in .XYZ) when giving some places your email addy.

I put a 2 cell Halogen bulb in my favorite Sears 2D stainless steel flashlight and it was a bit too much draw was no whiter and not much brighter than the Krypton bulb as far as I could tell but the spot was a little better. I took it out because it drained the batteries too much faster and I was not able to buy D cells often for it.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I have a halogen in my 2D also, but I use 8A LSD batts so it`s not so bad, I`m with you on the brightness, I kinda expected a bit more out of it too, though I do have some Xenon bulbs on order for it that I`d never seen before called Fish eye lens, and it says:
Bulb type - 2 cell

• - Average Peak beam candlepower = 19,200
  • - Average Lumens = 40.6
  • - Up to 100% brighter than previous Magnum Star Xenon bulbs

So hopefully if these are any good I may try and get some 3 cell versions.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a halogen in my 2D also, but I use 8A LSD batts so it`s not so bad, I`m with you on the brightness, I kinda expected a bit more out of it too, though I do have some Xenon bulbs on order for it that I`d never seen before called Fish eye lens, and it says:
Bulb type - 2 cell

• - Average Peak beam candlepower = 19,200
  • - Average Lumens = 40.6
  • - Up to 100% brighter than previous Magnum Star Xenon bulbs

So hopefully if these are any good I may try and get some 3 cell versions.

I wonder if they have a 1.3A 2 cell bulb like for nicads that on 3 alkaleaks may be about right.
I think 4v @ 1A on alkaleaks may not peform much better than Krypton bulbe of 3.6V as the current is high and the headroom before the batteries start dropping is a lot smaller that is why bulbs are rated at 1.2v/cell instead of 1.5v/cell. If you were to run the light off nimh then it may be fine.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
yeah, all my NiMH batts tend to settle at 1.3v each if left to stand for a while, so well in range for the 1.25 NiCad compatibles.
So 3.9 into 4v isn`t going to make much difference really, perhaps lower the color temp a fraction.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think 4v @ 1A on alkaleaks may not peform much better than Krypton bulbe of 3.6V as the current is high and the headroom before the batteries start dropping is a lot smaller that is why bulbs are rated at 1.2v/cell instead of 1.5v/cell.

All Halogen PR bulbs have slightly higher designed voltage such as 2.8 volt instead of 2.4 volt, 4 volt instead of 3.6 volt, 5 volt instead of 4.8 volt, 6.5 volt instead of 6 volt and...

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder what the 3 cell magnumstars run at. I'd have to dig through my stash. I was never a big 3 cell Mag guy during the incan times, always preferred the 2's and 4's and skipped over the 3's. If output is what matters, you should be okay running a 2 cell krypton on 3D's.

Last edited:

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I`v got D cell maglites in 2,3,4,5 and 6. Every now and again I like to treat them to something new/better and this month was my 3D :D
I have one of those magnumstar bulbs for 3 cell on the way also since I`v not had much luck getting anything else.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the benshine "xenon plus" 3.6v 900ma look the same on 3 nicd or nimh and 1 li-ion.
whiter on fresh alkaleaks but only for a short time.
and its all downhill from there.
ni and li stay nearer to the design voltage through much of the discharge.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`v got D cell maglites in 2,3,4,5 and 6. Every now and again I like to treat them to something new/better and this month was my 3D :D
I have one of those magnumstar bulbs for 3 cell on the way also since I`v not had much luck getting anything else.

Alright good luck with the magnumstar. I always thought the magnumstars run around 900ma to 1A IRRC, but it's been a long time since I put one on the multimeter. And it was most likely a 2 cell bulb that I did it with. I have one in a 4D that I use when I do a walkthrough of my condo building at night. I'll check it and see what it's drawing from the 4D alkalines I have in it. It's the newer bi-pin version. I prefer the PR bulbs, but the bin-pins with the PR base are all you can get new these days if you can even find them.