The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Generation Inova X5

Default First Generation Inova X5

Has Anyone ever heard of Inova making an entirely Stainless steel version of there X5?
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Default Re: First Generation Inova X5

My early model Emissive Engery made one is not stainless.

I saw a UV version made of titanium at eBay.
    John 3:16

Ya this is a first generation X5 supposedly all stainless steel. Iíll post pictures when I get it. Canít find any information on it. Think it might of been like prototype.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic*

If I remember correctly, titanium was the name of the grey color of the anodizing.

Searching around, I'm finding "titanium" X5 lights all over, but in their descriptions and the packaging, they clearly say they're aluminum.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

I had Vinh put CRI yugis in my X5 it is awesome runs forever.
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Itís first generation and definitely a X5 looks like SS to me but damn if I can find a single thing on it

Last edited by thermal guy; 05-15-2021 at 09:32 PM.

Flashaholic*

That must be a prototype or something, the tail completely lacks it's momentary/twist mechanism.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

My light made by Emissive Energy looks just like the light in post #6 but it is aluminum.
    Kata Ton Δaimona Eaytoy

A year ago I read all kinds of stuff about emissive engery lights and how they invented things like the multi LED head and other things. They have a bunch of patents and named the flashlights Inova for "inovate". But dawg gone if I can find it now. The goog thinks I want to buy one from Amazon or purchase a Nite Ize product.
    The X5 may seem like same old same old now but way back when it was a giant step forward in LED flashlights along with their TIROS optics.

The early X5s did not have a momentary switch in the tail, they were actuated by a twist head; tighten for off IIRC.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    A year ago I read all kinds of stuff about emissive engery lights and how they invented things like the multi LED head and other things. They have a bunch of patents and named the flashlights Inova for "inovate". But dawg gone if I can find it now. The goog thinks I want to buy one from Amazon or purchase a Nite Ize product.
    The X5 may seem like same old same old now but way back when it was a giant step forward in LED flashlights along with their TIROS optics.
    Yes the giant step forward was what happened for myself. I never had a flashlight I could trust to work or last very long while using it. The X5 was very expensive - somewhere around $50 ? I could be wrong but it was the first time I could be out in the woods and be sure I could light my way back out. Well worth the money.
    Kata Ton Δaimona Eaytoy

They were built for law officers and military type operations like SWAT if I recall correct.
    My only X5 is a Snap On tools edition I got from a CPF member who sold his collection of old Inovas to me a while back.
    I have since bought a few Nite Ize made models as well but have never seen any all stainless steel versions.

The pictured on in post 6 looks like it's a twist head version. Apparently that was the first version of the X5.
    http://67-20-93-49.unifiedlayer.com/.../inova_x5t.htm
    Here's a little info.

Iíll have to see what the hell it is when it arrives. It sure looks like SS to me. Guess it might be a prototype or something because I cant find anything on it. Call the company but they said anyone that was here around that time has long sense left.

They were built for law officers and military type operations like SWAT if I recall correct.
    My only X5 is a Snap On tools edition I got from a CPF member who sold his collection of old Inovas to me a while back.
    I have since bought a few Nite Ize made models as well but have never seen any all stainless steel versions.

The pictured on in post 6 looks like it's a twist head version. Apparently that was the first version of the X5.
    Here's a little info.
    Glad to see the Flashlight Reviews site archived - great stuff from the old days.

Emissive Energy was bought out by NiteIze over a decade ago so I doubt anyone at the company knows anything about it unless they have some paperwork from the old company. I preferred the old companyís U.S.A. built quality. Havenít bought one of their lights since a 2008 T1 (their last U.S. made model T1). The light still works great.

Here's a little info.
    My first X5 was made by Emissive Energy and that is how it was branded. I bought it off a Snap On tool truck. It had no switch, just tighten the head and the light was off. Loosen and it was on. My second X5 I bought off the Snap On truck and it was branded Snap On. I think it was still made by Emissive Energy at that time because the sale to Niteize had not been announced yet. That light had a twist tail cap with a momentary switch. The second X5 had much better tint. The first one was very blue but I didn't care. It was dependable. By todays standards those lights are junk but they sure were useful to me and my outdoor adventures. I still have them as well as an X1.
    Kata Ton Δaimona Eaytoy

Was it SS?

Flashaholic*

I had the Snap-On version too. Red ano with blue tint LEDs but like you said who cares when your searching inside a gas tank or an old horse shoe oil bag so see how much sludge crud has accumulated at the bottom..

TG, Solid SS should feel hefty like a "sunday bar" in hand
    Nice score!

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Was it SS?
    No
    Kata Ton Δaimona Eaytoy

Flashaholic*

My apologies for going kind of off topic, but there's a question whose answer has evaded me for years. How on Earth has Inova never been sued by Surefire for the use of Surefire's forbidden momentary/twist/lockout tailcap that's still in the X series to this day?

Pentagon Lights, 4Sevens, Cabela's, River Rock/Nuwai are just a few that implemented a similar design and they all felt Surefire's wrath for it.

Still got my County Comm unmarked X5 - and the branded endmill case it shipped in. Tempted to mod it since the LEDs were quite anemic even for the day - although the 123As in it may be the original set.

Quote Originally Posted by defloyd77 View Post
    My apologies for going kind of off topic, but there's a question whose answer has evaded me for years. How on Earth has Inova never been sued by Surefire for the use of Surefire's forbidden momentary/twist/lockout tailcap that's still in the X series to this day?
    Got some Dorcy lights from ~20 years ago that replicated the basic G2 tailswitch concept and have seen numerous others.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

After reading through this thread, I dug out my old first generation Inova X5. It is exactly like the one pictured. I forgot how cool these looked, and really like the twist for off function. I can confirm it is definitely aluminum with a "titanium" anodize.
    Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!
    Psalms 46:10

Well mystery X5 should be here in a few days. Kinda excited because as I say Iím pretty sure itís SS and I have no idea why. Should weigh a ton.

Still have 4 Inova X5s that work. I had a second generation one but tried 3.7 volt li-ion cells that claimed to be 3.0 volt cells that fried it. I have a third generation one (about 30 lumens) and a fourth generation one (80 lumens). I also have one with blue l.e.d.s and one with green l.e.d.s. They're outdated, but they're still great lights to loan out to a kid in the family. They can beat them up as much as they want and won't break them. They have a hard time blinding other kids with them because of the floody beam. The colored ones are great for parties and holidays.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by idleprocess View Post
    Got some Dorcy lights from ~20 years ago that replicated the basic G2 tailswitch concept and have seen numerous others.
    I had a AAA Dorcy that also used the same sort of switch. I don't recall Dorcy's name being mentioned in the lawsuits, but they no longer use that kind of switch. As far as I can tell, the only mainstream, mass produced lights that use that kind of switch these days are Surefire and Inova. There's absolutely no way Inova could've slipped past Surefire all of these years, so they'd almost have to have some sort of arrangement with Surefire to still be using it to this day.

It was the patented plunger that Pentagon and others were using without permission when they were trying to gain military contracts. Pentagon won one over SureFire stating all US parts and all their own designs. PK and Dr John Matthews thought them copying SureFire owned patents was like paying them a compliment. Once they won a big contract SureFire lawyers sprang into action. One of the lights Pentagon included was the little 40 lumen Molle that had foreign parts. The X2 used the plunger lock out feature.

Now days lockout features are largely done by areas not anodized coming in contact with one another and when the tailcap is loosened contact is no longer so conductivity is cut. It was something started long before anodized alluminum flashlights.

The X5 used a sort of backwards approach where the positive end of the battery aids in the lockout feature.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    Well mystery X5 should be here in a few days. Kinda excited because as I say Iím pretty sure itís SS and I have no idea why. Should weigh a ton.
    Nice score on the original version X5! I thought all those were still aluminum construction but perhaps it could be stainless. I have a few Emissive Energy X5s but they were already using the tail switch by the time I started buying INOVAs.
    I respectfully reserve the right to purchase yet another light......

Great thread here, thanks for posting it.

I have a couple of "mid-vintage" Inova lights and they sure are built solidly.

Interested to hear if yours is really steel when it arrives, tg ....
    ... is the archimedes peak

Iíll let you know when I find out myself lol. The seller wasnít sure but then said he thinks it is compared to his other X5ís.Figured it should of been easy to tell judging from the weight difference but....

Well itís not SS. Really has no weight to it and itís anodized with something.checked it for continuity with My meter. Unfortunately I have to send it back. Only 4 sometimes 3 leds will light. If I let it sit they will flicker and come on but once I turn it off and back on same problem. Shame, I really like the design of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast