First Generation Inova X5

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Has Anyone ever heard of Inova making an entirely Stainless steel version of there X5?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya this is a first generation X5 supposedly all stainless steel. I'll post pictures when I get it. Can't find any information on it. Think it might of been like prototype.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I remember correctly, titanium was the name of the grey color of the anodizing.

Searching around, I'm finding "titanium" X5 lights all over, but in their descriptions and the packaging, they clearly say they're aluminum.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It's first generation and definitely a X5 looks like SS to me but damn if I can find a single thing on it

2-E99-D831-4-A47-48-D5-82-F7-72-A96-B25-A878.jpg

4820442-D-05-DD-41-D9-B700-BD8-DED586406.jpg

C133-C33-F-47-C7-4-F2-F-90-E2-213-A70594-DBF.jpg

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
That must be a prototype or something, the tail completely lacks it's momentary/twist mechanism.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A year ago I read all kinds of stuff about emissive engery lights and how they invented things like the multi LED head and other things. They have a bunch of patents and named the flashlights Inova for "inovate". But dawg gone if I can find it now. The goog thinks I want to buy one from Amazon or purchase a Nite Ize product.
The X5 may seem like same old same old now but way back when it was a giant step forward in LED flashlights along with their TIROS optics.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
A year ago I read all kinds of stuff about emissive engery lights and how they invented things like the multi LED head and other things. They have a bunch of patents and named the flashlights Inova for "inovate". But dawg gone if I can find it now. The goog thinks I want to buy one from Amazon or purchase a Nite Ize product.
The X5 may seem like same old same old now but way back when it was a giant step forward in LED flashlights along with their TIROS optics.

Yes the giant step forward was what happened for myself. I never had a flashlight I could trust to work or last very long while using it. The X5 was very expensive - somewhere around $50 ? I could be wrong but it was the first time I could be out in the woods and be sure I could light my way back out. Well worth the money.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
They were built for law officers and military type operations like SWAT if I recall correct.
My only X5 is a Snap On tools edition I got from a CPF member who sold his collection of old Inovas to me a while back.
I have since bought a few Nite Ize made models as well but have never seen any all stainless steel versions.

The pictured on in post 6 looks like it's a twist head version. Apparently that was the first version of the X5.
http://67-20-93-49.unifiedlayer.com/flashlightreviews/reviews/inova_x5t.htm
Here's a little info.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'll have to see what the hell it is when it arrives. It sure looks like SS to me. Guess it might be a prototype or something because I cant find anything on it. Call the company but they said anyone that was here around that time has long sense left.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
They were built for law officers and military type operations like SWAT if I recall correct.
My only X5 is a Snap On tools edition I got from a CPF member who sold his collection of old Inovas to me a while back.
I have since bought a few Nite Ize made models as well but have never seen any all stainless steel versions.

The pictured on in post 6 looks like it's a twist head version. Apparently that was the first version of the X5.
Here's a little info.

Glad to see the Flashlight Reviews site archived - great stuff from the old days.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Emissive Energy was bought out by NiteIze over a decade ago so I doubt anyone at the company knows anything about it unless they have some paperwork from the old company. I preferred the old company's U.S.A. built quality. Haven't bought one of their lights since a 2008 T1 (their last U.S. made model T1). The light still works great.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's a little info.

My first X5 was made by Emissive Energy and that is how it was branded. I bought it off a Snap On tool truck. It had no switch, just tighten the head and the light was off. Loosen and it was on. My second X5 I bought off the Snap On truck and it was branded Snap On. I think it was still made by Emissive Energy at that time because the sale to Niteize had not been announced yet. That light had a twist tail cap with a momentary switch. The second X5 had much better tint. The first one was very blue but I didn't care. It was dependable. By todays standards those lights are junk but they sure were useful to me and my outdoor adventures. I still have them as well as an X1.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the Snap-On version too. Red ano with blue tint LEDs but like you said who cares when your searching inside a gas tank or an old horse shoe oil bag so see how much sludge crud has accumulated at the bottom..

TG, Solid SS should feel hefty like a "sunday bar" in hand
Nice score!

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
My apologies for going kind of off topic, but there's a question whose answer has evaded me for years. How on Earth has Inova never been sued by Surefire for the use of Surefire's forbidden momentary/twist/lockout tailcap that's still in the X series to this day?

Pentagon Lights, 4Sevens, Cabela's, River Rock/Nuwai are just a few that implemented a similar design and they all felt Surefire's wrath for it.