Wanting an Amber LED flashlight, what Amber LED would be best?

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Decided I want an Amber LED flashlight, but the few models available aren't what I want exactly, so I'm going to buy a light and have an Amber LED swapped in. Problem is I know nothing about the Amber LED's available, so hoping to get some advice.

I see Cree has an XP-E2 Amber, and also a "PC Amber", not sure the difference there.

Are there any other Amber LED's that are worth consideration over the XP-E2? Is there a particular Bin I should be looking for? I guess I'm probably looking for something along the lines of what is in the HDS Systems Amber, but they don't list exactly what it is.

LEDphile

Enlightened
Amber LEDs are available in "direct" and "phosphor converted" variants, with different tradeoffs to the different variants. Direct amber LEDs use the same basic chemistry as red LEDs (with slightly different doping), and have a narrow spectral width (color is more saturated). Phosphor-converted ("PC") amber uses a yellow phosphor on a blue LED, and have a somewhat broader spectral width (color is "pale"). But PC amber LEDs are also more efficient than direct amber, have less droop, and are basically the same as white LEDs from an electrical perspective (direct amber LEDs have a lower operating voltage, around 2V vs the ~3V for PC amber, which sometimes presents challenges depending on the driver design). The advantages of PC amber LEDs vs. direct amber has led to most applications of amber LEDs using PC amber (primarily automotive and warning light applications), although direct amber is still available from a few vendors.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm not sure if a 2700K warm white would be close enough to amber for your taste but it is probably easier to find in a light.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure if a 2700K warm white would be close enough to amber for your taste but it is probably easier to find in a light.

A broad spectrum warm white is entirely different thing than the amber which is nearly monochromatic.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Every white LED, it doesn't matter is CW, NW, WW or warmer WW. All this LED have a "blue peak" due to the fact the LED chip emits blue light, and is only white due to the usage of different materials over the LED chip.
The amber LED chips doesn't have this blue peak since the light is more or less monochromatic. The Amber LED has a narrow area around 590nm, and PC amber a wider area around 590nm.
Very nice to see in the PDF I linked in my previous post on page 14.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Thanks for pointing out the Prometheous lights sledhead.

I don't really need amber for any application in particular, the color just looks so relaxing and calming. Though HDS's description says good for not attracting flying pests, so that's interesting too.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also like yellow/amber as alternative to white for solar garden lights, nightlights, small 12v-powered lights for night use etc. I recently found a good amber ac bulb, testing it out.

To the OP: replacing the surface mount LED in a flashlight will be a challenge. You need the right equipment and skills. Pads are on the bottom under the LED body. Getting it off would require hot air, with the right nozzle and care to avoid damage to the LED PCB. Attaching new LED most likely requires solder paste and hot air (avoiding damage to LED) as you could not get a soldering iron in the right places.

If you've done this before, great. I have not reworked a LED like this, limited experience in removing/replacing SMT parts such as TSOP memory and other small parts. Perhaps somebody with specific experience could comment.

Dave

stephenk

Enlightened
The Osram CSLNM1.FY is an excellent orange-yellow emitter. It is full spectrum instead of the usual monochromatic colour emitters. It is available in the Convoy S2+ and some other lights.

Latest posts