LED FlashLight for newbie

nemesis_567

Newly Enlightened
==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter). EUROPE

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

IDEAL Up to $25.
MAYBE Up to $50.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).
SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).
IDEALLY BELOW 5 inches.

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

CHEAPEST WAY WITHOUT COMPROMISING QUALITY

7) What power source do you want to use?

I don't know/I need more information on power sources.

I have no restrictions regarding this point, but I'd rather use lithium rechargeable, whether standard 18650 or custom.

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

I don't care

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
I want search and rescue type illumination (800+ lumens).

The more the merrier.

SPECIAL NOTE: Burst/Turbo mode Category - There are several lights that will run at a super bright maximum for a very limited period (usually 5-10 minutes) and then will "step-down" to a lower level for thermal control. Check here if this is acceptable.
It is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

__X__All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.
__X__Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
__X__Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
__X__Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.
__X__Narrow Throw: I want a beam with a very tight "hot center" and minimal "side-spill". Good for distance viewing, fog, and looking through dense undergrowth.
__X__Turbohead: I want a far-distance projector with a sharply focused spot of light and minimal or zero side-spill. Good for extreme distance and impressing your friends.
I have no clue, I think somewhat a bit of all of these.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).

90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):

____I don't know.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't care.
____I don't know.

15) Water resistance

____IPX7 (Waterproof to 1 meter/30min)
____IPX8 (Submersible to greater than 1 meter for 4 hours)

16) Storage conditions

____Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

Celery

Newly Enlightened
My recommend is a Convoy S2+... runs on 18650, 500-2000 lumen depending on LED and driver choice, $12-25. Can order from Simon's store on aliexpress and he can accommodate some special custom requests (if you have any :) )

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think you will have to narrow down what levels of output you want and 18650 is probably yields the widest choices. I have a Sofirn SP32 and like it as it does 600 lumens on high and 1200 on Turbo and you cycle through 4 modes moonlight/low/med/high, double click for Turbo and click to go back to last mode and triple click for strobe. It does have a side switch that may or may not be your thing You can also run it in ramping mode if you want to but I like modes so I have a good idea what runtime I can expect. The light is a little over 4 3/4 inches. Wowtac also makes some decent lights but there is the lower end ones where turbo is 500 lumens and the next notch that goes to 1000 lumens or so I strongly recommend lights with 1000 lumens turbo or a little more as the Turbo is usually not used nearly as much but the lower modes tend to be related to the Turbo mode. A 1000+ lumen light will likely have a 400-500 lumen high mode (no stepdown) were a lower or higher Turbo means usually lower or higher High modes and often they are about 1/2 the Turbo.
I recommend if you don't have a charger for 18650s consider that in your purchase. Wowtac lights have USB charging in the batteries and the Sofirn comes with a cheap charger but I recommend a stand alone charger myself regardless of if it comes with a charging solution.
I think that to throw 150 yards you will likely have a light that doesn't have much flood to it that is a pretty good distance to throw and likely you could need 2 different lights as one with that tight of a beam may not have decent flood close up but a super saturated hot spot that may make for tough use in close quarters. Convoy S2+ is a good choice too.. but you can get overloaded with a myriad of drivers and LEDs and modes with them can be confusing.... they also make a C8 model with a lot larger reflector that may be more suited for throwing.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
150+ yards (I am searching from a helicopter)

Tell me more about this helicopter usage...
Get a lanyard I guess so you don't drop it while you're hanging out the chopper

If I'm in a helicopter I'm not using a 5" pocket light

nemesis_567

Newly Enlightened
Tell me more about this helicopter usage...
Get a lanyard I guess so you don't drop it while you're hanging out the chopper

If I'm in a helicopter I'm not using a 5" pocket light

Wow thanks, your comment was the most helpful of them all. I don't even know what could have motivated you to write such a thing, I now am 100% more likely to make a better purchase.

Now since my comment took a while to approve it got behind the previous one, so I'll ask again. I'm considering the TC15 V2, would that be worthwhile spending more when comparing to the convoy S2+? Are there better options?