Inline RF dimmer 12Amp & cable 24AWG??

ionutzz_88

Newly Enlightened
Hi all!
Could please anyone advise me how is it possible that my Inline RF led dimmer bought from ebay says that max curent output 12Amp but came with 24AWG cable on both sides. Of my understanding 24AWG cable is rated to a max curent of 3.5 amps only.
I am planning a diy project of installing led strips around the ceiling and in front of the curtains. I have as folows

• Transformer 100W
  • Inline rf dimmer 12amp with 24Awg cable??
  • 17m led 4.8W/m 12V = 6.8Amp
  • 22AWG strip connectors
  • 22AWG cable
From the transformer into the RF dimmer and then the power line goes as folows:

• 4m led at the curtains powered at one side
  • 2.5m+4m powered at the joint
Please let me know your opinion.
All the best ,
Ioan

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
For current indicated, #24 or #22 is not good enough, should probably use at least #18 (essentially lamp cord) or thicker, depends on the length and amount of voltage drop you can tolerate.

#18 wire resistance is 0.0065 ohms/foot (0.0213 ohms/m) so at 6.8A, voltage drop would be 0.29v per metre. With low-voltage/high-current you need to manage voltage drops carefully. Drop in wiring you can control, drop within the strips themselves is much harder.

If I understand you have 4 metres of strip, then and a Y joint with 6.5m each branch, fed at one end?

How long a strip is spec'ed to operate correctly (or is it)? Sometimes, people want to extend a strip beyond its intended length, and depending on how it is designed, get away with it (or not). You might notice decreasing brightness as you get further down the strips. You could temporarily connect everything up and see if you like the results.

Dave

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
[FONT=&]Hi all![/FONT]
[FONT=&]Could please anyone advise me how is it possible that my Inline RF led dimmer bought from ebay says that max curent output 12Amp but came with 24AWG cable on both sides. Of my understanding 24AWG cable is rated to a max curent of 3.5 amps only.[/FONT]
[FONT=&]I am planning a diy project of installing led strips around the ceiling and in front of the curtains. I have as folows[/FONT]

• Transformer 100W
  • Inline rf dimmer 12amp with 24Awg cable??
  • 17m led 4.8W/m 12V = 6.8Amp
  • 22AWG strip connectors
  • 22AWG cable
[FONT=&]From the transformer into the RF dimmer and then the power line goes as folows:[/FONT]

• 4m led at the curtains powered at one side
[FONT=&]Please let me know your opinion.[/FONT]
[FONT=&]All the best ,
Ioan[/FONT]
The dimmer itself may be rated to handle 12A but seems they decided 24Awg cable was enough to suffice.
At 22AWG it may not be designed for the load (17m) that you are putting on it but instead more like 2M or so.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps OP could fill in some details about the power supply, dimmer and LED strips etc.

Is the 100W "transformer" a regulated 12v dc supply?

How long is wiring from transformer to dimmer to feed end of strips?

Dave