Anyone know what LED is in the LED Mini Mag AAA?

PacificMoon

Newly Enlightened
I am referring to the 100+ lumens one, specifically the red one with a presentation box as sold by Adorama. I assume it is some type of modern Cree emitter but it could be something else and would be interesting to know. Mine should be arriving Friday :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Hopefully xxo will chime in.

The 84 lumen model had the Luxeon C. I beileve the 111 lumen model did as well but the 100 lumen model has a different beam pattern so I speculate the CREE XP-C but have not found that written anywhere.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume it is some type of modern Cree emitter

you could try posting a photo, also check these pics to compare to your light.
3AuP5D4.jpg

Maybe also try asking the manufacturer.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree XP-C is probably a good bet for the newer 2AAA. 2AA ones used a Luxeon III emitter, then switched to a Luxeon Rebel. Latest version is probably a Cree XP-G2 or XP-G3.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 84 lumen 2 AAA MM's used Luxeon C LEDs, my 98 lumen version looks pretty much the same so, I'm thinking it's also a Luxeon C variant. I don't have one of the current 100 lumen versions, so I don't know what LED they use.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Has Mag ever used Cree LEDs in their products? If not then unless Luxeon LEDs are no longer being made or far inferior and/or priced a lot higher I don't see Mag switching to Cree products as Mag tends to greatly resist changes.

PacificMoon

Newly Enlightened
Has Mag ever used Cree LEDs in their products? If not then unless Luxeon LEDs are no longer being made or far inferior and/or priced a lot higher I don't see Mag switching to Cree products as Mag tends to greatly resist changes.

The ML-50L uses an XM-L2. I imagine the ML-300L also uses a Cree LED. There are probably more Mags using them.

PacificMoon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for chiming in! I had subscribed to this thread but somehow I did not get any notifications and I did not get around to checking the thread itself until now. I thought it was actually a version with more than 100 lumens but it seems it actually has exactly 100 lumens, so I guess it could be the XP-C. I will see if I can identify the emitter tomorrow; I have not unpacked the light yet.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I contacted Maglite to ask which LED, CCT, and CRI they use.
Will share what I learn.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If you did not have 3 posts yet you may not have been eligable for notifications.

The current model is 100 lumens after there being a 111 lumen version for a while. Sometimes Maglite backs off the output (and/or runtime) number a little.

I suppose one of these days I'll learn how to ID an LED.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you did not have 3 posts yet you may not have been eligable for notifications.

The current model is 100 lumens after there being a 111 lumen version for a while. Sometimes Maglite backs off the output (and/or runtime) number a little.

The way I learned to ID an LED on one type of light was the beam pattern in a zoomie I suppose you could get a magnifying glass and use it somehow to focus the beam on a wall so you can see the emitter pattern.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

it is not difficult... just look at the LED in the light, and find which picture it matches:
WOeZkW8l.png

example, I recently bought this light:
n4GTRO4l.jpg

the seller said it had a 4000k Nichia 219c
it looked way too green to me, so

I looked at the LED, compared it to the photos in post #4, and figured out it has an XM-L2...

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
congrats on your first foray

not xm-l nor xm-l2 either?
fB3pxlal.png

how about Luxeon?:
Could be a luxeon LED, I think the older model had a Luxeon C LED
dont have a photo of the C, but here are a couple others..
nXwK4kEl.png

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
q4X3Jc5.jpg

If it's a lux C it will have a flat dome when you look at it from the side, if it has a regular dome it's not a Lux C.

LEDphile

Enlightened
q4X3Jc5.jpg
If it's a lux C it will have a flat dome when you look at it from the side, if it has a regular dome it's not a Lux C.
Luxeon C has a short dome. Luxeon CZ is a flat-top Luxeon C:
philips-lumileds-4_1441715919.jpg
Luxeon CZ:
philips-lumileds-7_1520945881.jpg
But the easiest way to tell is the size - Luxeon C/CZ is a 2mm x 2mm package, and is the only high power LED in that size that I'm aware of.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxeon C:
philips-lumileds-4_1441715919.jpg

... the easiest way to tell is the size - Luxeon C/CZ is a 2mm x 2mm package, and is the only high power LED in that size that I'm aware of.

great info, thanks
any idea what color temperature, CRI, and DUV, specs the LED in the maglite uses?