Extra Surefire E2e body - but what to do?

DBee

Newly Enlightened
Good day CPF people,

This is my first proper post, having been lurking in the shadows for a long while, so here goes.....

I have a rather lovely Surefire E2L, with a KX2 head, which is a single level of 45 lumens, but seems an awful lot more. To my eyes it is easily as bright as my Inova X1, which is rated at 80 and not to far off my Fenix LD10 Q5 rated at 125.
The beam is great for most of my needs (although like most here I have other brighter torches/flashlights) and the runtime on CR123s is superb! 9 hours on full + 5 hours of reduced output appears to be the norm from what I have read. Build quality is as expected of SF, and this thing will probably outlive me. It is also nice and slim and therefore easy to hold and carry. As you may have guessed, it's one of my favourites and a keeper.

But, like buses, when you wait for one and then two come along, I now found myself with a SF E2e body as well.
I read that the E2e was originally an incandescent but it is exactly the same size, fit and finish as my E2L body.
My question is what to do with the E2e body?

I could - 1: look for a SF head and tail-cap, but this could be expensive - probably as expensive as buying a complete light.
2: Buy a head + tail-cap from another manufacturer, which should be cheaper (I guess)
3: Sell/swap/trade it for a SF E1e or E1L. I quite like the sound of this as I would then have the option of carrying a 1 or 2 cell light.
I'm assuming that as My KX2 head is rated for 2 x CR123 batteries, on a 1 cell body it would need a rechargeable RCR123/16340 to function?
Would it still be as bright as with 2 CR123s? Any idea of runtimes? Is it worth it?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but what would you guys recommend & suggest?
I agree that you can never have too many flashlights - just don't tell my wife please. She wouldn't understand.

Mike4434

Newly Enlightened
I would check out Lumensfactory; they have a myriad of E series cloned parts, (both tailcaps and heads) including incan heads w/ an assortment of LED drop-ins, as well as Kl4 heads, which will fit onto your E2E and/or E2L body. The build quality is quite good from what I've seen, and it's probably the most cost-effective alternative to trying to hunt down genuine SF parts (many of which have been out of production by SF for years now, so LF is your best bet).

Obviously you could always sell what you have, but if you're like me then you love the form/function/build quality of the E series. I personally have all of my E series lights modded with TripLEDs (1200 lumen output on max, multimode, etc.) and that's a great/ top of the line option as well, although on the less budget-friendly side.

Hope you find this useful.

akula88

Enlightened
My question is what to do with the E2e body?

I could - 1: look for a SF head and tail-cap, but this could be expensive - probably as expensive as buying a complete light.
2: Buy a head + tail-cap from another manufacturer, which should be cheaper (I guess)
3: Sell/swap/trade it for a SF E1e or E1L. I quite like the sound of this as I would then have the option of carrying a 1 or 2 cell light.
I'm assuming that as My KX2 head is rated for 2 x CR123 batteries, on a 1 cell body it would need a rechargeable RCR123/16340 to function?
Would it still be as bright as with 2 CR123s? Any idea of runtimes? Is it worth it?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but what would you guys recommend & suggest?
I agree that you can never have too many flashlights - just don't tell my wife please. She wouldn't understand.

:welcome: Place your CC on the safe and throw away the keys... :naughty:

Seriously -- What you have (E2e body) is actually a platform for what your heart desires.

Indeed -- LumensFactory.com brought out in the past two years a myriad of options for the older Surefire models.

In particular, for the E-series line -- you can select their surefire-look-alike heads - KL1 and KL4 - in either single or 3-mode light intensity.
The also have the P60-to-E adapter, where you can adapt the P60 LED-drop-ins (either from them or from other manufacturers, modders or enthusiasts).
For tailcaps -- they have the McClicky types in regular, shrouded or the SW02-look-alike.

In terms of batteries -- I've been using (almost exclusively) 16650 on all of my 2-cell lights.
Cost of CR123s in our side of the world is on the high-side, and would prevent me from enjoying or using the lights.

CanAm

Newly Enlightened
VME or a Lumens Factory head would be my choice.

Currently using an LF body with a VME head at work, it's been great.

I do have a LF 1-cell/18350 body that I'm open to trading, feel free to PM if interested.

DBee

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the responses, I'll do some more research and reading. The SF E series are a great size and are very comfortable in the hand. My E2L is my favourite at the moment, so I'll see what I can find for the E2e, as the form factor is just right for me.

DBee

Newly Enlightened
Well, I've managed to purchase a SF KX2C 200 lumen single stage LED head for my E2e body - result! Now just need a tail cap and job done.
I've only ordered it today but can't wait to try it out.

CanAm

Newly Enlightened
For a tailcap, would highly recommend a Lumens Factory E series with the mcclicky upgrade. You have a few options for style, but they should all be good and functionally identical.

DBee

Newly Enlightened
IMG_0656.jpeg
IMG_0655.jpeg

Well, the new Surefire Z61 tail-cap arrived and so here are my two SF's, ready to go - a E2L with KX2 head and E2e fitted with a KX2C head and its new tail-cap. I don't mind that the E2e is a mix of black and green parts. Next is to order some 16650 rechargeable batteries. Bring on the darkness!

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
View attachment 15020View attachment 15022

Well, the new Surefire Z61 tail-cap arrived and so here are my two SF's, ready to go - a E2L with KX2 head and E2e fitted with a KX2C head and its new tail-cap. I don't mind that the E2e is a mix of black and green parts. Next is to order some 16650 rechargeable batteries. Bring on the darkness!
Do remember that 16650/17670 is not compatible with bodies with three rounds; the cells concerned just won't fit in completely. Only earlier-batched E2e bodies (esp. those with two flats) can accept 16650/17670 without issue.

akula88

Enlightened
I've been running the latest KeepPower 16650-2500mAh on all my 3-round E2e. Also I have AW 17670 since 2017 and they had no issues. Even the (old) Ultrafire 17670 :eek: (this one is legit) fits like glove.

20191117_104712e.jpg

The only 'E-series' compatible bodies which I had some 'tube-size' problem were the LX2, AZ2 and A2L. I had to polished them a bit with medium-grit rolled sandpaper and a drill to get the proper fitting.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been running the latest KeepPower 16650-2500mAh on all my 3-round E2e. Also I have AW 17670 since 2017 and they had no issues. Even the (old) Ultrafire 17670 :eek: (this one is legit) fits like glove.

View attachment 15380

The only 'E-series' compatible bodies which I had some 'tube-size' problem were the LX2, AZ2 and A2L. I had to polished them a bit with medium-grit rolled sandpaper and a drill to get the proper fitting.
I don't have as much luck as you do. My two three-flats E2e bodies won't accept any 16650/17670, they just can't get inserted to the very bottom unless with modification (which I wouldn't even bother with). My E2d (three flats) and older two-flats E2e bodies do however accept the 16650/17670 without issue. So I guess it depends on the E2e body batches when it comes to 17670/16650 compatibility.

DBee

Newly Enlightened
The 16650 batteries I was looking at are these:
Ampsplus 16650 : 16mm x 65mm 2500mAh with Protection
I didn't realise that not all 16650s would fit the SF E series lights.
I can always use them in my Inova X5 (duel mode 31 & 6 lumen model) - if they fit this light that is.

Attachments

• BC04FC14-1B39-4039-9E1B-6F46267440C3.jpeg
    BC04FC14-1B39-4039-9E1B-6F46267440C3.jpeg
    23.6 KB · Views: 45

DBee

Newly Enlightened
….I should add that my SF E2L body appears to be the round type with two rounded areas where the markings are, whereas my E2e body has the two flat areas and is not as round.

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 16650 batteries I was looking at are these:
Ampsplus 16650 : 16mm x 65mm 2500mAh with Protection
I didn't realise that not all 16650s would fit the SF E series lights.
I can always use them in my Inova X5 (duel mode 31 & 6 lumen model) - if they fit this light that is.
When I say the 16650/17670 does not fit I really mean the said battery cannot slide into the battery chamber effectively down to the very bottom of the battery chamber (tailcap side), leaving the battery's front exposed (protruded out of the body's head-side opening).

Just to reiterate, if your E2e body has two flat sides then it's an older-batch body which will NOT result in the 16650/17670 compatibility issue. If however the said body has two round sides that there's a 50/50 the said cell may (or may not) fit.

DBee

Newly Enlightened
Well, my batteries arrived, and I am happy to report that they fit both Surefire flashlights nicely - not too tight at all. They also (once charged) work perfectly. They would however, not fit my Inoxa X5 (duel mode 31/6 lumens) as they were way too tight.
It just goes to show something or other. Probably.

Attachments

• IMG_0746.jpeg
    IMG_0746.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0744.jpeg
    IMG_0744.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 73