CREE HID replacement LED filament bulbs - anyone tried one?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was surprised to see these in the "blue" DIY store yesterday. Lifetime is stated as 15,000 hours which seems a little short to me. I'm guessing they're driving the filaments pretty hard. Has anyone tried one yet? I thought about picking one up but I was hesitant about buying a 15,000 hour lamp for $40. A quick search tells me that typical metal halide lifetimes are in the 6000-11,000 hour range.

Last edited:

brickbat

Enlightened
Interesting - If I had a crappy old 175W Hg vapor fixture, this would be great. But I don't...

To bad they only offer 5000K...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I agree, this would be a significant upgrade to an old MV fixture. Bypass the ballast and you're done. I hope they're compatible with existing photocell circuits.

brickbat

Enlightened
Dang - these are 170 lumens/Watt. Yeah 5000K and 80 CRI, but still, is there any lamp that's more efficient on the market now?

broadgage

Enlightened
The Philips Dubai lamps are more efficient at 200 lumens per watt.
Availability outside Dubai is limited, and they come in only 220/240 volt, and only in low wattages.

These lamps sound most useful, and may be the most efficient yet available in larger wattages. Good for street lighting, sports fields, and large buildings. Probably too bright for MOST domestic applications.