Poll. Do you like Daylight Savings Time or Not?

Do you prefer auctions or 'Buy it now'?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

epro05

Newly Enlightened
I personally am not fond of daylight savings time and would prefer to stay with standard time all year long. Am I alone?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to like daylight savings time when I was a kid because that meant I could stay out longer, but now I don't like it because it means the drive-in theaters that I go to have to start the movies an hour later. It makes for a very late night. The drive-ins actually used to actively campaign for saving standard time. They felt that daylight savings time hurt their business.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Poll. Do you like Daylight Savings Time or No

The farther north you go, the more you will find people who like it.

I only like it because the two times a year I change the clocks I also replace smoke alarm batteries -- and check my flashlights for leaky batteries. 7:]

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I like it. Gives me more time to putter about in the yard after work. I wish they would just stick with it year round.

snuffy

Enlightened
I'm lucky to live where DST isn't observed, so far, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif and I don't miss it at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i do like it.

but not for good reasons..

America does EVERYthing early. wake up early. go to work early. get home early. eat dinner early. go to bed early.

our workday shouldn't start 'til like 11AM.. we shouldn't be eating dinner 'til around 7PM.. we should be going to bed around 1AM..

what would we really lose if we shifted to a later workday?

we'd all be alot healthier in my opinion.

kaseri

Enlightened
I believe that the proper name is "daylight saving time" notice there is no "S" is the word saving.

Proper pronunciation is just a little pet peeve of mine.

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
During the Arab-Israeli War in October 1973, Middle East members of OPEC issued an embargo against the sale of crude oil to Israel's Western allies. In the United States, gasoline became scarce and prices jumped 40 percent, crimping the American economy. Following the 1973 Arab Oil Embargo, Congress put most of the nation on extended Daylight Saving Time for two years in hopes of saving additional energy. This experiment worked, but Congress did not continue the experiment in 1975 because of opposition -- mostly from the farming states.

In 1974, Daylight Saving Time lasted ten months and lasted for eight months in 1975, rather than the normal six months (then, May to October). The U.S. Department of Transportation -- which has jurisdiction over Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. -- studied the results of the experiment. It concluded:

Daylight Saving Time saves energy. Based on consumption figures for 1974 and 1975, The Department of Transportation says observing Daylight Saving Time in March and April saved the equivalent in energy of 10,000 barrels of oil each day -- a total of 600,000 barrels in each of those two years.

Daylight Saving Time saves lives and prevents traffic injuries. The earlier Daylight Saving Time allowed more people to travel home from work and school in daylight, which is much safer than darkness. And except for the months of November through February, Daylight Saving Time does not increase the morning hazard for those going to school and work.

Daylight Saving Time prevents crime. Because people get home from work and school and complete more errands and chores in daylight, Daylight Saving Time also seems to reduce people's exposure to various crimes, which are more common in darkness than in light.

The Department of Transportation estimated that 50 lives were saved and about 2,000 injuries were prevented in March and April of the study years. The department also estimated that $28 million was saved in traffic accident costs.

Congress and President Reagan change Daylight Saving Time

Daylight Saving Time was changed slightly in 1986 when President Reagan signed Public Law 99-359. It changed Daylight Saving Time from the last Sunday in April to the first Sunday in April. No change was made to the ending date of the last Sunday in October.

This was done ostensibly to conserve energy during the month of April. Adding the entire month of April is estimated to save nationwide about 300,000 barrels of oil each year.

Darell

Flashaholic
Hate it. Hate it big. Has anybody done any figuring on the loss of productivity that happens twice/year because of screwed up clocks (and biological clocks)? If it saves so much energy (and I guess nobody seems to mind the fact that it is now dark in the morning??? Do people NOT get in accidents in dark mornings - only afternoons?) why not leave it this way all year? Or split the difference, and go with a 1/2 hour change and leave it there all year? Let's shift if two or three hours an totally eliminate crime and accidents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

And the final beef I'll present: If folks like to come home with the sun up, figure out a way to change your work hours, if possible. Go in an hour earlier. People talk about the safety of school children quite often. How hard would it be to adjust the school times for maximum child safety?

I'm moving in with snuffy.

Yes, I've heard all the energy-saving arguments, but there are easier ways that don't **** off so many people twice/year. Imagine how much fun it must be for the transportation industry. It is even a PITA for facilities that produce product 24hrs/day - twice a year they have two screwed up days where production quantities are screwed up, and it can take weeks to get back on schedule. This one one I'm personally familiar with in the biotech industry.

So, if it was not obvious, I voted "NOT like." Let's set the clock wherever it makes the most sense all year and LEAVE IT THERE. Ooomph. Off my box.

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
Sorry Darell, here's the other side of the coin:

The activists here at standardtime.com have a modest proposal to end daylight saving time that will reap large benefits in addition to ending the semi-annual changing of the clock.
It has not escaped our notice that in the United States, Eastern standard time is the same as Central daylight time and Mountain standard time is the same as Pacific Daylight Time. Thus, we propose that The Pacific and Central time zones remain on permanent daylight saving time, and that the Mountain and Eastern time zones remain on permanent standard time.

In addition to releasing us from the burden of having to set our clocks every few months, this will also reduce the number of time zones in the United States from four to two. Thus, for example, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Dallas will now all be operating on the same time, and people will no longer have to adjust to different time zones when they do business or travel between any of these cities. Also, we'll be able to get rid of those annoying television schedules that say "8:30 PM/7:30 Central", since the Eastern time zone will be the same as the Central time zone. Further, people traveling or doing business between the East and West coasts will only have a two hour time difference to contend with, instead of the three hour difference with which we are currently burdened.

This proposal will simplify scheduling, travel, and commerce. And by ending semi-annual clock tampering, it will also allow people to get more sleep, be better adjusted to their daily routine, avoid missed appointments resulting from failure to reset clocks, and, most importantly, save lives.

Please help to bring about an end to the mad, semi-annual ritual of changing our clocks, by taking just a few moments to add your name to our petition below, Which will be forwarded to the appropriate government officials. And please remember to tell anyone you know who might be interested in helping to support our cause to visit standardtime.com and sign up, too.

http://www.standardtime.com/proposal.shtml

OR:

The Costs of DST

Of course, there's no such thing as a free lunch. DST has its share of costs.

Perhaps the greatest cost is the personal inconvenience of having your biological clock forced out of sync with your alarm clock twice a year. For a week or two after the time change, you may find it hard to get up in the morning. I do.

In April, you get to drive to work in more darkness than you had to contend with in March, thanks to DST. And because you've missed an hour's sleep and are altering your internal clock to match the external one, you're more prone to make mistakes.

In fact, studies have shown that more automotive accidents take place during the week immediately following the Spring time change than during the other weeks of the year. One study, noted on the Standard Times site, found an 8% increase in traffic accidents the Monday following "spring forward."

An article posted by Stanley Coren, Sleep Deficit, Fatal Accidents, and the Spring Shift to Daylight Savings Time, "there is a spring increase in accidents and no corresponding fall decrease in accidents following the DST shift...." and measures the increase in accidents at 17% immediately following the shift to DST.

Not only are there more accidents, but "following the spring shift to Daylight Savings Time (when one hour of sleep is lost) there is a measurable increase in the number of traffic accidents that result in fatalities

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Darell, things could be worse-

In 1930 in the old Soviet Union under Stalin they decided it would be progressive to go on Daylight Saving Time, so they did. Following up on changing all those clocks twice a year must've been too much for them though.

When it came time for them to go off DST that first year -- they didn't. It must have been pretty far down on their list of priorities because they stayed on DST continuously, twelve months a year, for the better part of the next 67 years -- only setting their clocks back after the fall of the USSR.

Greta

Flashaholic

Ok... I officially HATE DST! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif ... "But you don't change your clocks!", you might all be saying! "So what's YOUR beef?", you might be asking. Well let me tell you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif ... Because everyone else changes their clocks, it changes what time my favorite cable programs come on TV. Sunday nights used to be perfect... 9PM/Crossing Jordan, 10PM/Sopranos, 11PM/The Shield. But tonight? I had to choose between Crossing Jordan and The Sopranos at 9PM... and then I missed the first 25 minutes of The Shield because it started at 10PM... not 11PM... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif And this was the second airing of this episode of The Shield... I didn't see the first one on Tuesday. So that's it... missed it... have to wait for reruns. Ok, so I can catch The Sopranos episode that I missed tonight on Wednesday night... but it still sucks. Did I mention that I HATE DST?!??!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i dont ever change my clocks when they ask me to do but instead i advance it 1 hours on every 27th of the month so here at my house its june 17th at 5.10 pm

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love the extra light in the evening that comes with DST, I hate changing the clock back and forth. I wish we (Calif) would either go with the FlashGordon plan of half country on DST and other half on ST

GregR

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I hate dst. In case no one has actually figured it out, it doesn't save time, just steals it from the morning and adds it on to the afternoon. So what does it save? You don't have to turn your lights on as early in the evening but have to keep them on earlier in the morning. In the summer time it naturally stays lighter a lot longer so there would still be lengthened days. Remember , this started in something like 1781 when utility companies were scarce. I just don't think there is actually any proof that energy is conserved because it doesn't make any sense, robbing light from the morning and adding it at the end of the day doesn't create any more light just alters when we see it, or am I missing something.
My wife hates it more than I do and would be willing to move to somewhere that doesn't have it. People act like daylight saving time adds 3 hours of light when in fact two of the hours of extra light would be there anyway.