Olight Baton 3 battery question

JimAShaw

Newly Enlightened
I just received my first Olight Baton 3, not the Priemum

I already own Baton 2's. In the 2's I use Olight's RCR123A and a number of different IMR16340 from different manufacturers. They all work in each light, they all charge using my XTAR charger.

Is the IMR16340 a "special" battery that comes in the new Baton 3 and the only battery that will work in the 3?
1) The IMR16340 battery that comes in the 3 will not charge in my charger
2) Can this battery only be charged using Olight's charger that comes with the 3?
3) The batteries I use in the 2's do not work in the new 3

Please help me understand.
Do I have to order special batteries for the 3 or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The batteries look the same to me, however the Batton 2 has the battery facing the tailcap. The Baton 3 battery faces towards the head. Both cells look proprietary to me

JimAShaw

Newly Enlightened
The batteries look the same to me, however the Batton 2 has the battery facing the tailcap. The Baton 3 battery faces towards the head. Both cells look proprietary to me

The Baton 3 battery has a black plastic ring that goes around the button.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
My point is, are you putting the battery in the right way, when trying the battery from the 2, in the 3.
the ring on the baton 3 head sticks out, is that what's blocking it from charging on your xtar?
perhaps just a magnet to extend the contacts is required

JimAShaw

Newly Enlightened
I emailed Olight a couple days ago about my questions and I just received a note

"use the standars baton3 battery and standard baton 3 charger"

It sounds like the 3 takes a special battery and needs the charger that comes along with the light.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
When you bought the baton 3 did it not come with the magnetic charger? I thought they provided one if you didn't buy the premium version.

You won't be able to charge that battery without olight's charging options, that little ring around the positive end is in the way. I could get the s1r 2 to work with some other batteries (although it lost the higher modes), but I can't get any of my baton 3's to work with anything other than olight's 16340. A small downside but still an unfortunate one.

JimAShaw

Newly Enlightened
When you bought the baton 3 did it not come with the magnetic charger? I thought they provided one if you didn't buy the premium version.

You won't be able to charge that battery without olight's charging options, that little ring around the positive end is in the way. I could get the s1r 2 to work with some other batteries (although it lost the higher modes), but I can't get any of my baton 3's to work with anything other than olight's 16340. A small downside but still an unfortunate one.

Thanks Megalamuffin for the info. That's what I have been thinking. The 3 works only with Olight's 16340. I have other manufacturer's 16340 but they don't work, did on my 2 but not the 3.

Yes, the 3 did come with the magnetic charger which is what I use.

I'm use to charging 2-4 16340's at once in the charger, putting them in a case and when my Baton 2 battery went low, instanly swap out and ready to go. Let the low batteries pile up and charge them all at once.

I guess I'm going to have to change.

Once again, thanks

Just reading this one, a few more words. The S1RII cell is used in the Baton 3, even still says for S1RII on the cell. Exact same cell, same part number of ORB-163C05-10C. It is their 550 mAh high current (10C) version of a 16340. The black insulating ring was added so that one cannot easily short the (+) button to the (-) that is all around it. If you really want to charge it externally, put a small magnet or wad of foil inside the ring to allow the (+) button to make contact.

JimAShaw

Newly Enlightened
Just reading this one, a few more words. The S1RII cell is used in the Baton 3, even still says for S1RII on the cell. Exact same cell, same part number of ORB-163C05-10C. It is their 550 mAh high current (10C) version of a 16340. The black insulating ring was added so that one cannot easily short the (+) button to the (-) that is all around it. If you really want to charge it externally, put a small magnet or wad of foil inside the ring to allow the (+) button to make contact.

Excellent thought. I will give that a try.

Thank you