Wanted nice Luxeon III's- will pay premium

davep

Newly Enlightened
Wanted nice Luxeon III\'s- will pay premium

Hello there everyone. I am hoping that someone has 3 nice Luxeon III's for me if I paid enough (even though I'm a newbie and shouldn't really be entitled to them). I realise that there is a lot of fluctuation in Luxeon's and my chances of winning the Luxeon lottery as an insignificant end user are really none. I am interested mostly in W0 colour as they are supposed to be ideal. The model TW0K are apparently consistently excellent. I will pay a premium for handpicked ones of confirmed ideal colour, at least $20 each. If no one has any for this price, than I will offer to pay more and more (until it is plain stupid not to sell them...). I realize that every LED is different even if they are the same spec, and that it is only possible to isolate the whitest and brightest ones by eye in direct comparison if you happen to have many of them. The most important priority is to be as pure white as possible. A flux rating of T is also nice, and Vf is not as important.

I would also be very interested in hand picked ideal (with a more blue/green spectrum than the average) 1 watt warm white Luxeons.

If you are interested in the use of these LED's- the flashlight I will (attempt to) build is:

Three (nice) Luxeon III's (wired in series) with Fraen tri lens narrow on 1/4"-1/2" thick copper heatsink which is mated well to an aluminum case with an aluminum head. Efficient current regulation and smooth continuously variable output control from 3021 Buckpuck 1000mA (often will be toned down to ~700ma for reliablility and efficiency- but still allows 1000ma if desired (with internal and easily accessible external pot - this will be adjustable from the outside of the light) with 8-16 AA Nimh source. Lens will be a UCL/LDF glass 52 or 55mm for nice smooth semi flood with possibly a 2nd polycarbonate lens on the outside for protection.

Thank you for reading my post. I'm sorry if I have wasted anyone's time. Please let me know if you have some Luxeon's you can provide or if you have any questions or comments about the above proposed light design. Also, it would be good to know others who may try (or have tried) a similar design. I will be sure to post detailed info and pics of this light, its features and construction, upon completion as I believe others may realize its benefits and want to build one too.
Thanks very much,
David

Please feel free to personal message or email direct at [email protected].

By the way, I am in Victoria BC Canada.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Re: Wanted nice Luxeon III\'s- will pay premium

davep,

Welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

You sound like a man after my own heart. Everything has a price.

Good luck getting your luxeons!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welcome davep. I wouldn't get so hung up on bin codes if I were you. Especially for what appears to be a protoype light.

All of the LuxIII white LEDs I've seen have been quite good. All are "white" and the minor tint variations are of academic importance only. You don't even notice them unless you're comparing side by side on the obligatory white wall. The TVOJs that Klaus has been selling are excellent, even though they are not the "optimal" bin code. I think that the people who get all worked up over these very minor differences are mostly anal retentive types who never actually use their lights except for shining them at white walls. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Peter

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not sure if Wayne from Elektrolumens ships internationally, but he has some SW0K's for sale now.

Shanghaied

Newly Enlightened

Wayne's Shoppe ships internationally that's for sure. I think I've even seen T-binned emitters being sold there, although they were all sold as I was twitching from the excitement....

Dave, your best bet is the B/S/T forum, where nice Lux III surface every now and then. There was a Lux sale some time ago (on page 9 on B/S/T last I checked), and there are six TV1K's there. Hurry up and you might still have a chance.

LED_ASAP

Enlightened

You may want to ask Klaus if he got any of the TW0Js left. A while back he held a group buy and these very nice stars were sold at incredablly low rates.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

I've been thinking about snagging another 8 LuxIIIs from Klaus, myself.

davep

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the replies everyone. Sorry to not check this page earlier. I have exams now... But in a week when I'm done I will try to order a bunch of this stuff. I will post another topic someday soon.
Dave

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a question, perhaps here will work without startin a new thread. Not trying to hi-jack or anything, but a LUX III with a vF of J will have a lower Vf at 350ma than a 1W J at 350 ma right?

The luxIII Vf is rated at 700ma not 350ma right?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

Yes, IH, this should be correct EXCEPT for those pesky ranges.

A Vf of J can be 3.27V - 3.51 volts.

A 1watt could therfore be as low as 3.27 volts at 350ma.

The 3 watt can be as high as 3.51 volts at 700ma.

So if the 3 watt is de-rated to 350ma, it may or may not be lower than 3.27 volts even assuming about 100mv per 100ma. It should be lower in all but the wierdest cases.

Daniel

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the nice remarks guys, Dave and I are working on setting him up with three selected Vf matched TVOJs now.

Klaus

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

Daniel, Thanks. This means when you have a low power boost circuit, it's best to get a low Vf such as a LuxIII even when not being driven hard, as it makes it more eff.

I know binning can be quarky, I have a S2F R/O and DD off of 2 new D's it pulls only 328ma! Maybe I should of used 8 gauge power wire to reduce resistance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif j/k of course. I did use 8 gauge for speaker wire to my 15" IDQ v2 subwoofer one time cause that's all I had. Looked good too lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif