World's largest meat processor hit by cyberattack

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
On Sunday, JBS, the world's largest meat processor was targeted by hackers. The company says the attack "may delay certain transactions with customers or suppliers". They didn't specify how their operations could be affected. So three weeks after hackers took down the largest pipeline in the U.S., someone hacked the world's largest meat processor (also in the U.S.). This is an ongoing story. It may amount to nothing or it may end up being a big deal like the pipeline shutdown. You may want to do your grocery shopping soon and stock up on essentials. These hackers seem intent on disrupting the supply chain in the U.S. and that can cause some serious problems.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
death pentaly to hackers im so sick of them they at least deserve life in prison

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Utterly reprehensible. This is equivalent to an act of war or treason, and should be 100% considered as such. While I may not be a fan of the powers-that-be, such behavior only threatens the common person, and is an act of blinding selfishness.

Disgusting.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If it doesn't affect my baconator……

Nah seriously, not long ago I got an email from microsoft saying I had been logged off from outlook. It had a sign in button. I clicked it. It then asked for my password. Feeling a bit uneasy I typed in a non working password and "POW" saw a "you've been phished" and it mentioned my company wants me to take an internet security class. It had links to the so-called classes. I reported it up the chain. Soon a bunch of emails speaking of the email were popping up. Because I had clicked on the 'sign in' button I was reported to management by a would be new cop type who was trying to make brownie points with corparate.

Soon after that I got an email from one of the big bosses telling me no big deal as he had put out the idea to the company IT to see how many would click the box. He said 10% of the company's 22,000+ employees clicked on it.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
I go on the computer, computer goes on to the internet, I go on to the internet. Cyber-criminal is on the internet. Our cyber-criminal.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
As of today, JBS has now shut down all of their U.S. based beef plants which amounts to nearly 1/4 of the country's beef production. Pork plants are still operating. This just went from bad to worse.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
As of today, JBS has now shut down all of their U.S. based beef plants which amounts to nearly 1/4 of the country's beef production. Pork plants are still operating. This just went from bad to worse.
The irony here is I just got a new barbecue over the winter. Haven't used it yet but now it's looking like I may not be able to afford, or even get, meat to cook.

Can't anything be done about these hackers? It's amazing how hackers of all stripes have operated for years seemingly with impunity.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't anything be done about these hackers? It's amazing how hackers of all stripes have operated for years seemingly with impunity.

Both this hack and the Colonial Pipeline hack seem to have come from hackers in Russia. If you want to stop a bad behavior, you punish, not reward it. With the Colonial Pipeline hack, not only did the hackers get $4-5 million in ransom, but our government gave the offending country the go ahead for their own pipeline to Europe, while we were suffering the loss of our largest one. With that kind of "punishment", hackers know it's open season on the U.S.. If we want to stop hackers, we need to treat them as terrorists and punish the countries that harbor them (with sanctions) so they give them up. Until we're serious about dealing with this threat, it will continue.

Poppy

Flashaholic
This morning's news reported that JBS plans to be up and running again later today.

Just as I was thinking that I should take stock of what meats we have in the freezer and use it up so that it could be replaced with fresh meats, this happened. It brought home the thought that not only do we have to prepare for natural disasters, (and now germ/viral disasters,) but also cyber activity/ disasters.

We were out of beef, but still have about 10-15 pounds of chicken. Yesterday, I picked up eight 1/3 lb burgers, and made a note that I should have taken a picture of the fully stocked beef racks. I considered that in a day or two of panic buying; will they be stripped bare?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
fark it im giving up meat ive tried to do this before but i suck at willpower. but i have always felt sad for the cows

idleprocess

Flashaholic
It brought home the thought that not only do we have to prepare for natural disasters, (and now germ/viral disasters,) but also cyber activity/ disasters.

Watching the aftermath of Sandy really drove home to me how pervasive JIT logistics is down to the individual level; reports of people going hungry in one of the wealthiest regions in the US - no food at home, no power/comms to process credit card transactions, no cash - were positively astounding. It's no great imposition to have a few days worth of water, shelf-stable foods, and cash onhand yet a significant number did not.

The events of the second week of February this year drove home to me that utilities in the US are likely to become less reliable in the future for a variety of structural reasons. As such I'm improving my personal readiness for mere disruptions of services of varying lengths. Barring loss of comms (fiber internet, cellular data) it will be preferable to remain in place vs trek to another work location or deal with my fellow Texans' tendency to strip grocery stores, gas stations bare at the hint of bad weather or other news threatening disruption.

Poppy

Flashaholic
During the pandemic, I bought a hamburger press and chopped beef in 3 lb packages, which I converted into 1/3 lb burgers. I froze them 4 each in zip lock freezer bags. To assist in removing as much air as possible (and moisture) I held the bag under water (the water pressure helped to collapse the bag around the burgers). This worked almost as well as using a vacuum sealer. My purpose is to reduce freezer burn.

Yesterday, I was going to do the same, but instead opted to buy them already made, and sealed in a nitrogen/carbon dioxide mix. I am curious, if they will have reduced freezer burn packaged like that.