VME Ideal Pairing

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which Malkoff body + Pin (current offering) makes the most sense with the VME head?

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I think the M31 pairs well with VME head, because you can use it with you 2AA body, 1 CR123 body, or 1AA body. So, I think it kind of depends on what you already own.

Russ/TN

Newly Enlightened
M-361 Neutral and MDC 1 CR123. The pill can handle a lot more voltage but I under drive it. (it still puts out plenty good light for me)
It will handle any battery you can fit in it. I carry it as my pocket EDC and recharge it bi-weekly.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was trying to figure out it's best use because it seems like Malkoff has a complete flashlight offering that covers most of what the VME does with the different M pins.
I guess it does go back to what was mentioned above.... it really just depends on what's already owned.

If I just had to pick something I'd say the 2XAA body with 14500 batteries and an M61L pin would be cool. It would be like a skinny MD3.

Last edited:

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
Malkoff does have a light for just about everything. One thing that is not offered is a single mode 1AA. You can run that M31 VME on a 1AA body and I believe it's about 85 lumens. I think if he put out the 1AA in a TAC and SHO version they would sell very well.

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I just had to pick something I'd say the 2XAA body with 14500 batteries and an M61L pin would be cool. It would be like a skinny MD3.

A VME head on a 2xAA body is a favorite of mine. I like it in preference to the MD3. The VME also goes well on a 1x123 body. You really can't to wrong whatever you decide.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not 100% sure which dropin I'd choose, given the general lack of li-ion support, but I've tried my old VME head on both the 1xAA and 1x123 bodies, and especially like it on the AA.
Were I not at a point where I'm ready to get rid of some stuff rather than buying more, a MDC AA body, new VME, M61NLL and some 14500s would almost surely be my next "just to have" purchase. I love the form factor, and think it looks great, too.
While part of me balks at the idea of another low output light that is huge for what it does, I don't really like the ergos of undersized lights. That 1AA body/VME really clicks for me.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
…M61NLL…

I saw where illumn.com showed in-stock M61NLLL (219b).
they either adjusted the stock or sold out bc now it's out of stock.
I thought that would be nice with a VME

The M361N (20/90/450lm) might be neat…even though 450 would be at a reduced run time.

Are single-mode pins more rugged/reliable?

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I had a VME/MDCaa with M31L for a while. Nice little setup. The VME is able to shrink that P60 sized module down enough to feel like you are carrying an E head up front. A bit weighty up front with all that brass but it is a nice combo.
The seller regretted parting with it so I sold it back.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Really like the VME head.Let's you use just about any Malkoff on a E series body. I have one with a M61WL on a 16650 body. Nice little setup.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M361N (20/90/450lm) might be neat…even though 450 would be at a reduced run time.

Are single-mode pins more rugged/reliable?
I don't know if one is more reliable than the other.
For the M361 high mode and battery life, I guess it's a matter of intended use.
If you want a low output light with a bonus high mode that you use briefly and occasionally, great.
If you want it to be a 450 lumen light all the time, you're also going to be going through a lot of 800-1000mAh R123s or 14500s if you want to run it on a MDC 123 or AA body.

Personally, runtime is rarely a big deal to me any more with modern LEDs and li-ion batteries. Almost all of my use for triple digit lumens can be measured in seconds rather than hours, while the lower modes that see the most use have far more runtime than I ever need at one time(or in any one week!).
It was a real concern back when we were using incans, or LEDs that were a tiny fraction as efficient as they are now. Nowadays, not so much.

ledbetter

Enlightened
Gene's website recommends not using multi mode drop ins on weapon lights. Don't know if that's means less reliable or they just jump levels. Favorite vme combo lately has been m30 in aa body. Versatile, tough, and I like the punchy cool tint beam on city walks.
Also going to put m31w back into a vme and 123 body (currently in round 9p running 2 aa's) and use those new rechargeable 3v batteries and see how they do. Could anyone tell me how to check voltage on these? Planning on just having back up primary in case battery goes from full output to zero.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
He advises that because they are multi mode and may start out on low instead of high. There just as tough.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could anyone tell me how to check voltage on these? Planning on just having back up primary in case battery goes from full output to zero.
They'll read 3.0 from start to finish.
That's the tradeoff of using these cells; no dimming(at least with the MDC 123 on high, which is all I've tested), and the voltage doesn't drop, so no warning.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
See, I have some high-octane 14500 batteries just waiting to be used.
It's like buying ammo for a cartridge you don't have...then justifying the purchase of the cartridge because you have $15 worth of ammo. lol
I either need to use them or throw them away, and I'm not suppose to throw them away...so clearly I need a pin and VME suited for the 14500+. haha

I suppose the VME head makes more sense with single-mode output since Malkoff offers a multi-mode MDC head with 15/75/375lm and 20/100/450lm output.
Can't go wrong really...it's a neat setup whether it's a M61 or M361 pin.

I like the M31 drop-in--but at this time I just would like something suited for a Li-Ion.

Last edited:

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
Q8Nmxjpl.jpg

I use a VME with an M61WLL and the 123 body running on a 16340. I had a bunch of 16340's not being used, so I don't know if it makes the most sense per say....but it's easily my favorite set up to carry every day.

The LL's run long enough on lithiums that I'm not really worried about primaries. I like sticking with the m61's so I can swap them out in my MD2. I load up storacells and keep them in my bags, and truck so I really always have more than enough juice in an emergency (not that I've ever really needed it while running the LL's)