Fenix E09R - Built-in 800mAh Battery, USB-C, 600 lumens, e-Lockout

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Received a pre-release/prototype version of Fenix E09R back in early March this year, been using it for a while since then and this is my review of it.

Disclaimer: since I was sent a pre-release/prototype version of Fenix E09R, it comes without any retail box nor any accessories, and tint of LED in the released version may have slight variant, so YMMV.

Let's take a brief look at the specifications of Fenix E09R:
wd5zGzy.png

Although Fenix market it as a "Thumb-sized" flashlight, but it's more of a palm size to be honest:
I2hJPlq.jpg

it's more suitable for pocket or bag/pouch-carry than keychain-carry as it's a normal AA-size flashlight.
Having to say that, Fenix actually has a smaller version that is suitable for keychain-carry... *hint*hint*

Following are a couple of size comparison picture of Fenix E09R with other flashlights:
giLrqBy.jpg

size comparisons to the legendary Fenix E10 - a near-bomb-proof AA-size single mode flashlight

iDCwxjA.jpg

size comparisons with another similar flashlight with similar 600 lumens max output, Olight S1A Baton.

My09ZwG.jpg

size comparisons with Fenix E01 v2.0 and Fenix E12 v2.0.

0MSfFiR.jpg

and size comparisons with some AA-size batteries.

0H1i6gd.jpg

on my unit, the middle of the TIR lens are ever so slightly frosted, this could be to smooth out or to reduce any artifact in the beam profile, although at very close range, you might notice a dark ring surrounding the centre beam, but during normal use, you'll hardly notice any artifacts in the beam profile.

UJdMwmx.jpg

the tail end side have a protruding loop, this makes Fenix E09R not able to tail stand.

a5sWcjL.jpg

the lanyard hole at the tail end.

charging the Fenix E09R is very simple, there is a USB-C port near the head and accessible by loosening the body cover anti-closewise:
fO2coUa.jpg

and remember to cover the charging port by tightening the body cover closewise until it completely cover the o-ring to maintain it's IP68 rating.
I actually think this design is quite innovative, a great improvement over the traditional silicone/rubber USB cover as this design provides better water-proofness via the use of o-rings and provides a more secure and durable cover for the USB-C charging port. Well done! Fenix!

5WoZCi0.jpg

some anatomy of the charging mechanism of Fenix E09R.

mnaf7bK.jpg

the retail package of Fenix E09R should comes together with w Type-C USB cable, thus making it convenient to charge the E09R from any USB source.

q79OPD1.jpg

while charging, the charging indicator LED will turn on RED...

5D9Fzrf.jpg

and will turn on GREEN when charging finished.
Note: although the user manual said charging takes approximately 1 hour from depleted state, my pre-release unit takes approximately 2.8 - 3.3 hours to bring the Fenix E09R to fully charged from depleted state as it's charging at ~360mA from a 2.4A USB source.
YHAuHgn.jpg

3KAUKxQ.jpg

and yes, all modes are accessible during charging, include burst/turbo mode

ar2T0yO.jpg

uaxIu57.jpg

C0rvz3Y.jpg

The user interface is the standard Fenix e-switch UI:

• To Turn ON: hold the e-switch for 0.5 seconds to turn the Fenix E09R on
  • To Turn OFF: hold the e-switch for 0.5 seconds to turn the Fenix E09R off
  • To engage electronic lockout: double-click the s-switch while Fenix E09R is at off state, the light will blink twice to indicate it has successfully lockout. when Fenix E09R electronic lockout is engaged, clicking/pressing the switch will make Fenix E09R blink twice.
  • To disengage electronic lockout: double-click the e-switch and Fenix E09R will turn on in Moonlight mode (regardless of previously memorized mode, effectively resetting the memory)
  • To switch/cycle modes: while Fenix E09R is ON, click the e-switch to cycle through Moonlight => Low => Medium => High
  • To access the Turbo/Burst mode of 600 lumens: hold the e-switch for approximately 1.5 seconds (although the manual says 1.2 seconds), this works whether the Fenix E09R is On or Off. If Fenix E09R is at off-state, it will first turned-On in previously memorized mode and then switch On to Turbo/Burst mode.
Note: Fenix E09R has mode memory to memorize your last used mode, except the Turbo/Burst mode.

My measured output of Fenix E09R:
Q2UbQH1.png

The usual disclaimer: I do not claim the above measured lumens as authoritative nor an indication of over/under-stating the number given by manufacturer. It's calibrated against some known light output (e.g. SureFire, Elzetta, etc.) so take it with a grain of salt and just as a relative reading.

Following is the runtime plot of High mode:
dc5DQov.png

Fenix E09R has a very stable output overall and the runtime claim is spot-on accurate.
since Turbo/Burst mode requires constant holding of the e-switch, runtime of Turbo/Burst mode was not performed.

In conclusion
Would I recommend this Fenix E09R? A definite yes. If there is any improvement I would suggest to Fenix for this Fenix E09R is consider offering it in the High CRI version of the SST20 LED. That would make Fenix E09R close to perfect.

Update 2021.06.09: After checking with Fenix, they said they will correct the manual about the charging time, it should be ~3 hours. my further testing shows that it's between 2.8 - 3.3 hours depending on cable and USB source used.

Last edited:

ZXD

Newly Enlightened
My buddy at work has this light and he loves it. very efficient lil guy.