Good quality 168 LED options?

RedShift42

Newly Enlightened
Hoping there's 168 bulb LED replacements that are worth a darn that someone can recommend. My Toyota Sienna uses 168 bulbs throughout, both inside and out. I'm looking for something of quality in output and longevity, not the usual "SUPERBRITE 6000k!!!" rubbish.
An adult option, as it were, that optimizes illumination and keeps me from having to disassemble the $&@% entire rear hatch panel yet again just to replace a wonky bulb (thanks, Toyota engineers).
Thank you and Regards

jzchen

Enlightened
Wow. I just went through opening the rear hatch of our '04 just yesterday! I'd like to know the same answer please. If LED there's red for tail lights and white for the license plate illumination.

(Thank you in advance as well)!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The ones worth getting are made by Osram. As marketed in North America they come in cold white (yep, your 6000K), yellow and red. I think you can get blue, too, but please don't). If you want warm white (4000K), you have to go outside the US product line and go directly to the Osram-branded product or jump over to Philips instead.

(Ooh, lookee, green!)

jzchen

Enlightened
Thank you so much Virgil. Taking the panelling off I almost broke at least one tab which due to vintage may no longer be available. Switching those incandescents to LED most likely don't need to replace again in a long long time....

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cold white, green, blue... They're always selling what people WANT, not what people NEED. Even 4000K, what you bill as warm, seems to be more a neutral (but I'd rather have "neutral" than cool/cold).

Sure, INTERIOR lighting is OK but I already see a brodozer in town with green front position lights and turn signals, don't give them any ideas...

Last edited:

RedShift42

Newly Enlightened
The ones worth getting are made by Osram. As marketed in North America they come in cold white (yep, your 6000K), yellow and red. I think you can get blue, too, but please don't). If you want warm white (4000K), you have to go outside the US product line and go directly to the Osram-branded product or jump over to Philips instead.
Haha, the Osram package actually says SUPER BRIGHT 6000K— guess I shouldn't have been quite so presumptuous, trying to be funny.
Don't need colors, my '15 [non-SE] Sienna uses red lenses on the main and secondary taillights. Only clear lenses are the F&R turn signals. Will probably go GE Nighthawk incandescents everywhere else.

jzchen

Enlightened
Thank you Alaric for the warning.

Interesting, the Amazon Philips 4000K product appears to be an Amazon UK item, but the description says US warranty applies. If I remember correctly Philips covers their mini LEDs with a 12 year warranty. The OSRAMs come with a 6 year warranty. Sylvania ZEVOs come with Lifetime (if you register them within 30 days supposedly, which is illegal per CA law to require registration. I still do). So is the Sylvania amber version close enough to white to use in the license plate illumination position? (If this was mentioned before my apologies for forgetting)!

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Don't need colors, my '15 [non-SE] Sienna uses red lenses on the main and secondary taillights. Only clear lenses are the F&R turn signals. Will probably go GE Nighthawk incandescents everywhere else.

I don't think those GE Nighthawk signal bulbs are worth messing around with, but depending on what year your Sienna is there might be some real upgrades for some of the exterior bulbs.

VERY IMPORTANT not to put white LEDs behind a red lens. If you will be trying LEDs in applications with colored lenses, use the LED color that matches the lens color, except if what you want is to change the interior or dashboard lighting to lower the glare, by putting yellow LEDs in place of white bulbs.

RedShift42

Newly Enlightened
I don't think those GE Nighthawk signal bulbs are worth messing around with, but depending on what year your Sienna is there might be some real upgrades for some of the exterior bulbs...
I'm always thoroughly impressed with the moderators' advice here, so if there's upgrades you like, I'm all ears. Tried to do my CPF due diligence, beyond headlight bulbs I didn't get the impression there's much other upgrade advantages to be found.

2015 Sienna XLE
-Halogen headlights H11/9005 (H9/9011 upgrade done)
-Front clear turn sigs 3457A
-Rear clear turn sigs WY21W
-Tail/brake red lens 7443
-Secondary tail light 168
-Reverse light 921 (they're awful!)
-Fog lights H11

(And a note to Sienna owners who may find this thread in the future, put a dab of lube on all those rear hatch fasteners to facilitate non-destructive removal next time)

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Front clear turn sigs 3457A

Sylvania is about the best you can get in those.

-Rear clear turn sigs WY21W
-Tail/brake red lens 7443
-Secondary tail light 168

See here.

Reverse light 921 (they're awful!)

A company called Fet Catz in Japan makes a 25-watt halogen in this size that works well. It's their part number CBB101. Good luck finding a supply line on this continent!

Fog lights H11

No H9 swap here (unsafe). Daniel Stern has good high-luminance selective-yellow H11s for fog lamp duty.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
A company called Fet Catz in Japan makes a 25-watt halogen in this size that works well. It's their part number CBB101. Good luck finding a supply line on this continent!
For those that need a high performance T20 bulb, Fet Catz makes those, too (the 640lm CBB102). I'm not sure if Daniel Stern will be carrying them himself, but he gave me a pair of those Fet Catz T20(site is in Japanese) bulbs as a gift and they are really amazing. I highly recommend them! I'm not sure what kind of quantity he'd have to get them in to make it worth his while to sell them. I oughta ask him about that next time I email him (I've probably bugged him enough this week, though).

You can get them from Amazon, but WOWSERS they are expensive: Fet Catz T20 CBB102 are $74.95/pr as of this writing.

If you get them, be sure to get the "スタンダードホワイト" (standard white) instead of the "スプリームホワイト" (supreme white), which is blue-tinted bling (for those who want a fender ding).