HDS Systems        

Thread: Amazon packaging

Default Amazon packaging

I have placed 2 orders for Eneloop batteries with Amazon recently. Both times they showed up in the really thin and flimsy gray bag. That stuff has the same thinness and softness as a ziploc bag. Previously, the only time I would get the thin/flimsy gray bag is if I ordered clothes. Makes sense, clothes don't need to be protected with a box. Now it looks like Amazon is shoving anything in those bags.

I hope my batteries weren't banging around and getting damaged during shipping.

I remember over 10 years ago when Amazon would put shrinkwrap around items inside a box, to minimize banging around during shipping. Then they stopped doing that, but at least put air bags inside the boxes. Nowadays most of their boxes don't even include any air bags.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Amazon packaging

I guess amazon is going the cheap route even though they are making money hand over foot.
    My sister in law just quit working at the local Bessemer amazon warehouse. Yes, they pay good, but they push you hard. The work isn't bad or heavy- it's just that you have to be super fast. Employees come and go so an employee actually caring about your package might be somewhat hit or miss and when being made to do things fast like that mistakes can happen.

My made in Japan Amaloops from ~4years ago came in a well set cardboard box with liner. Only 4/box, it felt like it was over packed and over presented for mere batteries. Oh how times have changed.
    THRUNITE > Archer1AV2|TiS|TH20|TN4A Hi...all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+ HiCRI
    > Sofirn C01|Dorcy Penlight (Yuji modded)
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999 MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens) Petzl Tikkina 80L ..... Fenix E01

I just received 4 light bulbs from Amazon in the same gray bag. Pretty well packed in bubble wrap but still...

Flashaholic*

It might have something to do with which distribution center handle the packages for your area.

I guess if the products you buy don't need to be shipped from another warehouse then the only need to be delivered to you and less likely to be damaged in a delivery vehicle than on an 18 wheeler or a plane.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    It might have something to do with which distribution center handle the packages for your area.

That's true. They were a next day delivery.

These were purchased on Amazon and delivered to our mailbox by USPS.

Both arrived alive. 500 watts, BABY!

Sometimes I wonder if I've purchased my last flashlight.

I like big bulbs...

I have to ask what that's for...
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

C´mon guys, give the guy (J. Bezos) a break, he is devorced now. Funds are running low now, time to start saving.....
    Move Through The Light .... With Caution
    My Collection.......... just click on me if interested

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post

I have to ask what that's for...
    They're for stage lighting at our church, something very similar to these -

which need these 750w bulbs.

Four were purchased last December. Only three arrived in working order due to being shipped in plastic bags.

Chauncey- Very cool. I'll admit I almost hoped you were putting together some sort of handheld monster...
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

I once received a 7200rpm hard drive in a box about 8 times the size of the actual product box. No padding so it was just banging around in there. Still kickin years later though!
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    I like big bulbs...
    Baby got Bulbs..................
    Amazon is lousy at packaging.
    Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

Quote Originally Posted by SCEMan View Post
    That's true. They were a next day delivery.

Ah, maybe that's it. My 2 Eneloop orders in gray bags were next day deliveries. Earlier this week I placed a 3rd Eneloop order, picked 2 day shipping to see if it'd be different, and it came in a padded yellow envelope.

Stuff on short trips in the gray bag can still get damaged though. My first Eneloop order in the gray bag also included a USB cable that came in a little box, and the box was completely torn apart inside the bag.

Did you check who the seller was? Often different Amazon sellers will package things differently. Sometimes it states the quality of packaging in the reviews. If the seller is listed as "x," it might be a good idea to include that in your review. It might help others to steer clear of that particular seller, or prompt the seller to up their game.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty321 View Post
    Did you check who the seller was? Often different Amazon sellers will package things differently. Sometimes it states the quality of packaging in the reviews. If the seller is listed as "x," it might be a good idea to include that in your review. It might help others to steer clear of that particular seller, or prompt the seller to up their game.
    The seller is Amazon.com. I wouldn't risk buying Eneloops from a third party seller, they might end up being fake.

Quote Originally Posted by delerious View Post
    The seller is Amazon.com. I wouldn't risk buying Eneloops from a third party seller, they might end up being fake.

I'm not sure how the "Amazon seller" listing works. In this case, I don't know if there would be a way to correct it. IIRC, my Eneloops came in a box, but I could be wrong as I purchased them through Amazon a few years ago. The only thing I take away from when an item's listed as sold by Amazon itself, is that a return/refund is easier, the price is usually market competitive, and the shipping is faster. I don't know if it helps reduce the chances of knockoffs or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty321 View Post
    I'm not sure how the "Amazon seller" listing works. In this case, I don't know if there would be a way to correct it. IIRC, my Eneloops came in a box, but I could be wrong as I purchased them through Amazon a few years ago. The only thing I take away from when an item's listed as sold by Amazon itself, is that a return/refund is easier, the price is usually market competitive, and the shipping is faster. I don't know if it helps reduce the chances of knockoffs or not.
    I think there is 2 types of Amazon listings.
    1)Amazon themselves sells the item shipped from their warehouses
    2)Others send their products to Amazon and list them and Amazon ships their products from their (Amazon's) wareshouses.

In the case of 1) you get a product sourced by Amazon themselves, and 2) you get whatever is shipped to Amazon and unless Amazon themselves opens up the products and checks/tests them then you could have fraud and they wouldn't know it.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

When you order it shows whom it will ship from, amazon will say ships from amazon in stock, others will say from x in stock. But most of the things I get from amazon itself are poorly packaged.
    Quando Omni Flunkis Moritati

im pretty sure they sold me a used bike
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    im pretty sure they sold me a used bike

You never know what you'll get sometimes. Once I bought a 4-piece kayak paddle and inside was a scratched up and dented pipe. Looked like something for a tent or canopy. Picker robot sleeping on the job?
    GOOD TINT!

Books and CDs.

For a while, I started getting hardcover book orders (which are like hen teeth once in a blue moon order) packed loose in those bubble wrap envelopes. This minimal protection invariably allows dents and bends and pages and covers damaged which are clearly visible when you examine the book, which is hard not to do when you're reading it. Does not affect it's utility, but it would be nice to have a new undamaged book. Last few have been received in boxes (which I requested many times when I complained upon getting them in envelopes) with ample bubble packing so that they were in pristine condition.

CDs seem to be hard to get without damage to the jewel case. Cracks in the case and damaged case hinges are common. Knock on wood..., the last several have been fine.

Just like opening one of those Matryoshka dolls ...... only not as much fun.