Looking for a new EDC light, with some specific requirements

W1ncher

Newly Enlightened
Hey all!
I'm a long time lurker, but I finally decided to post. I'm looking for a new EDC light to replace my Reylight Pineapple that is slowly become unreliable.

What I'm looking for:
Size: something between 1xAA at the smallest, and 1x18650 at the largest.

Lumens: 400 lumens on turbo is minimum, which would mean a AA light needs to be able to use 14500s. Also need a moonlight low, somewhere around 1 lumen.

UI: I want instant access to moonlight, a medium working mode, and turbo. This should be: From off, hold for moonlight, click for medium, and double click for turbo. I want double click to always go to turbo, even when on. Holding when on should move up or down between stepped ouputs, or smooth ramping.

Switch: I'm pretty particular of a tail switch, but I am very firm that I do not want any accidental activations while in my pocket. I do not want to have to use a lockout to keep the flashlight off. I use my light many times during the day, and having to switch off lockout to turn the light on is not feasible.

Budget: Somewhere up to about $100 USD

I have searched high and low for this flashlight. I thought the Manker E14III was a winner, but it kept turning on in my pocket. Zebralights are contenders, but the problem with them is the double click to switch between M1 and M2 (or H1 and H2, or L1 and L2), when that selection is memorized. I don't want to have to worry about what output the light will come on in. Another contender is the Armytek Prime lights, but I have heard their customer service is abysmal, so I'm not sure I want to go down that road.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks in advance!

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
@W1ncher - see if any of these DriverVN4 modes meet your needs: https://skylumen.com/pages/drivervn-drivervnx-programmable-circuits
At a glance the following modes should work for you: 10-4-4, 10-5-5

If you see a mode you like, then you find a Sky Lumen light that you like that also uses the DriverVN4 and hit that order button.

A lumen range from 1 to 400lm is a lot to ask. That will limit your options.

Last edited:

Vemice

Enlightened
@W1ncher - see if any of these DriverVN4 modes meet your needs: https://skylumen.com/pages/drivervn-drivervnx-programmable-circuits

If you see a mode you like, then you find a SkyLumen light that you like that also uses the DriverVN4 and hit that order button.

This is a good option. I had a similar dilemma. I saw an AAA light that I really liked in titanium with a rubber clicky that Vinh had and would build to order (sort of). I had him install a Nichia 219b 4500K and it can program to about the number that you are talking about. Not sure how low it goes; less than 5 lumens probably. It does heat up on high though so not a whole lot or runtime on high. He also uses copper on the inside (pill?)
jCSjCZ6l.jpg

W1ncher

Newly Enlightened
Another Reylight Pineapple?
V4 it's up to

I like them, but I want instant access to a medium mode, without mode memory. I turn my flashlight on and off many times a day, and always double pressing the button is annoying. I want to have usable light (40-80 lumens) with one click, without giving up instant access to moonlight.

W1ncher

Newly Enlightened

If you see a mode you like, then you find a Sky Lumen light that you like that also uses the DriverVN4 and hit that order button.

This is a good option. I had a similar dilemma. I saw an AAA light that I really liked in titanium with a rubber clicky that Vinh had and would build to order (sort of). I had him install a Nichia 219b 4500K and it can program to about the number that you are talking about. Not sure how low it goes; less than 5 lumens probably. It does heat up on high though so not a whole lot or runtime on high. He also uses copper on the inside (pill?)
jCSjCZ6l.jpg

I've looked at Vinh's stuff a lot. I actually ordered my Manker from him - he installed some different LEDs.

As far as I can tell, the only UIs that are close to my specs are the VNX2 and VNX3, and those UIs aren't used on a lot of lights. I guess instant access to all three modes (moonlight, medium, and turbo) is a bit of a tall order.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have the driver programmed the exact way you want it.
Settle for nothing and Go all in