Seeking recommendations for a small flashlight with decent throw

Variant

Newly Enlightened
Howdy folks,

I'm in need of a small (single AA, AAA, or lithium) flashlight with average or better-than-average throw and decent output (upwards of 200 lumens). Hopefully not too expensive (maximum $30 or $35). Hopefully not too easy to accidentally turn on, too (I hate it when that happens!). A simple UI with at least one high and low mode preferred.

I'll be using it to shine out a car window in order to find addresses on houses at night, so frequent short bursts. Runtime not too important to me.

Would be grateful for any recommendations! Thank you.

Last edited:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Does it really need to be a single cell light? The indestructible 3AAA from rayovac is like $15 if I remember right, and it has a low and high with truly impressive throw for its size. They also make a 2 AA, and I'm pretty sure the price is the same. I realize those are both missing out on the single cell requirement, but in my experience, really small lights don't throw as well as slightly larger ones, and I think you'll really appreciate that throw while trying to see those addresses.
I recommend the 3AAA for your use. It is shorter than the 2AA, gives 3 hours runtime on high 39 hours on low vs 2 hours on high and 12 hours on low for the AA. The 3AAA is rated to throw 168 meters vs the 2AA rated at 154 meters throw.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Just grab a mag light. Either a 2XAA or 2D. In the 2D you can get D to AA adapters and run AA lithium batteries. Both are plenty bright and in your price range

Nederick

Newly Enlightened
Maratac REV 5 is the AAA light to get. 175 Lumens. Tiny. amazing throw

Howdy folks,

I'm in need of a small (single AA, AAA, or lithium) flashlight with average or better-than-average throw and decent output (upwards of 200 lumens). Hopefully not too expensive (maximum $30 or $35). Hopefully not too easy to accidentally turn on, too (I hate it when that happens!). A simple UI with at least one high and low mode preferred.

I'll be using it to shine out a car window in order to find addresses on houses at night, so frequent short bursts. Runtime not too important to me.

Would be grateful for any recommendations! Thank you.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I would opt for the slightly larger size of an 18650 light so you can have 500+ lumens at your command and with turbo over 1000 lumens on some lights. For areas with light pollution 200 lumens at 50 feet may not be adequate enough. You can get decent 18650 lights for under $30 some with a battery and cheap charger also (Sofirn). The size of an 18650 is easier to hold on to and not too big to put in a pocket if needed.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight 1L-1AA is a good single cell light, runs on either a CR123A or a AA cell and will even run on a single AAA in a pinch, has a S clip that you can attach to a ball cap for use as a head lamp and can be set up for low/high operation.

The 2C 192 lumen/2 mode ML25 and 2C or 3C ML50 Maglites have more throw than a single cell pocket light and can be run on AA Eneloops or ultimate lithiums in spacers, or even 18650's or 21700's in adapters - great for spotting house numbers from a distance

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The 325 lumen Coleman 3xaaa is a thrower, has a sliding side switch and is $15 at Wal Mart. Energizer has a pretty nice 300 lumen 1x CR123 light at Home Depot for around $15 that throws pretty good. Not like the Coleman but not bad.

Last edited:

TIFisher

Newly Enlightened
Convoy S2 w/Osram NM1. 18650, regulated driver, comes in a myriad of colors, and can be had for less than $20 USD. 50 feet or 100 yards, your covered.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight 1L-1AA is a good single cell light, runs on either a CR123A or a AA cell and will even run on a single AAA in a pinch, has a S clip that you can attach to a ball cap for use as a head lamp and can be set up for low/high operation.

I'll second the Streamlight 1L-1AA, as that was going to be my suggestion.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do small for address finding? I used to use a 3D mag and then an incan G2. Both worked amazingly well. These days I keep something larger in the car but if I wanted compact I'd look at my surefire G2X without hesitation. Pro is two mode low-high and LE is high-low if you can find one

I have an older four sevens quark 1AA that I swapped an sst20 into that throws pretty well. Otherwise not too many will offer good throw. The jaxman e3 is my go to for affordable 1AA and of course the malkoff of top of the line. Actually one other option could be a FM 18500 C body with a custom P60 although that's a fairly retro design at this point.

Last edited:

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I've had good results with aaa streamlight microstream's using 10440's. Impressive brightness and throw in such a small package with those cells.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Skilhunt E2A very much. The only negative is very strong button spring. From the other point it makes its accidental "discharge" impossible :)

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
To get throw you need a bigger head. Those small tube style flashlights just don't throw as well even with a lot of lumens. Their hotspot tends to blend in with the spill too much for me. I agree with bykfixer about the 250 meter coleman flashlight.

The ML25 2 or 3c maglite is also a good thrower that looks like it has 3x the lumens they say it has. It can go head to head with the 611 lumen 3c ML50 (also a good one) which has a more spread out beam and a electronic switch.

Last edited:

sidpost

Newly Enlightened
The Maglite ML25LT C-cell lights are what I use. The double C-cell version fits in a small glovebox just fine or the side pocket of my door. C-cells give a lot of runtime even if you don't care about runtime and, they generally will pump out a lot more Lumens/Candela to light up unlit street signs and house numbers in the shadows.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Convoy T2 with Osram CSLNM1.TG (Flat White 1) LED. You can ask for a simple 4-mode driver. Literally cannot think of an AA sized thrower that comes even close to this combo, at least within this price range (the Lumintop GT Micro is a whole 'nother kettle of fish).

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the lumintop gt micro the small flashlight with the bigger head? I was going to recommend that also, but it might be out of his price range- it was mine. I researched the same thing the OP was/is looking for and was disappointed, so I got the coleman. I probably overdid my recommendation though because he wasn't wanting one to see numbers on buildings from the road, but on mailboxes on the side of the road, so many more types would probably qualify that would light up anything real good within 15-25 ft with a slight hotspot. I don't think he needs a flooder though. Maybe the tool 2.0 would more than meet his need.

Poppy

Flashaholic
As others have mentioned, I really like the Convoy S2+

In a single AA sized light, IMO you should get one that supports LiIon cells 14500.
The difference in output between LiIon, and NiMH or alkaline is incredible.

I like thrunite as a company, but I especially like Eagtac. So in the $50 range, I'd suggest that you look at the Eagtac D25a MKIII.

OTOH a much bigger light (2 AA Rayovac indestructible) would serve well in locating addresses, but it does not pocket well.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, ok. I must have read the post wrong or forgot. It IS for seeing house numbers, not mailbox numbers. Yeah, the tool 2.0 might not work for that- sorry about that.