Small diameter, forward clicky, HiCri

Sos24

Enlightened
For summer I am switching to a smaller pocket organizer. The one issue I am having is that the slot pocket limits the diameter of the flashlight to about 20mm. I have a few flashlights that will fit and have been using but none are forward clicky, which is my switch preference.

The must have characteristcs:
- Forward Clicky
- HiCri in neutral temp (4000-5700 temp)
- Diameter ~20mm or less
- high and low mode at minimum (preferably 3-4 brightness)
* If the light does not have all three then I am probably better to stick with one I already have (D25c, Tool AA, Fenix E12)

Preferences but not deal breakers
- AA/14500 or CR123/16340, I like using rechargeable. Would really like 16340 but many have diameters that are larger than want
-200+ max lumens
- Sub 10 lumen low
- Good balance between flood and throw

parametrek

Enlightened
Plugging your criteria into my flashlight search engine finds 3 solid matches:

• Manker E21
  • Darksucks Preon P1 Mk3
  • Darksucks Preon P2 Mk3

These all use AAAs. The E21 and Preon P2 just barely hit your 200 lumen requirement and the low mode too.

If you are open to doing an LED swap to get high CRI then there are 40 possible hosts. But none of them are 16340. There are a few very bright 14500 options.

Sos24

Enlightened
Plugging your criteria into my flashlight search engine finds 3 solid matches:

• Manker E21
  • Darksucks Preon P1 Mk3
  • Darksucks Preon P2 Mk3

These all use AAAs. The E21 and Preon P2 just barely hit your 200 lumen requirement and the low mode too.

If you are open to doing an LED swap to get high CRI then there are 40 possible hosts. But none of them are 16340. There are a few very bright 14500 options.

Thanks. How do you select "forward clicky" in your search? I tried using it but didn't see that as an option.

parametrek

Enlightened
That is the "momentary" option under the "switch" filter. You'll also want to change the filter mode from "any" to "all" because otherwise it will find tail OR momentary.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. How do you select "forward clicky" in your search? I tried using it but didn't see that as an option.

I haven't used that database very much, but I believe you would select 'Switch >> Momentary' (which is industry standard terminology), rather than 'forward clicky' (which is definitely not [with the exception of the 'flashlight segment']:)

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way, Sos - If you do find what you're looking for in a 'production' light, please do let us know. I'd most likely be in for one myself!!

I think my D25A MkII w/Nichia 219C meets all those criteria well - except of course lacking the switch we both want. I'd give up the extra length that would almost certainly be required to get it (while keeping a conventional reflector)!

Last edited:

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I'm gonna say the Prometheus/FourSevens Preon P1 and P2 checks all the boxes except it's a AAA light, not AA. If the P2 is too long for your organizer, the P1 will also fill all those same needs except maximum brightness of the P1 is 100 lumens vs 200 lumens on the P2.

Sos24

Enlightened
By the way, Sos - If you do find what you're looking for in a 'production' light, please do let us know. I'd most likely be in for one myself!!

I think my D25A MkII w/Nichia 219C meets all those criteria well - except of course lacking the switch we both want. I'd give up the extra length that would almost certainly be required to get it (while keeping a conventional reflector)!

I would love if I could get the D25c with a forward clicky because it is such a nice light. A hybrid between the D25c and the Fenix PD25, would be perfect, but unfortunately doesn't seem to exist.

Sos24

Enlightened
I'm gonna say the Prometheus/FourSevens Preon P1 and P2 checks all the boxes except it's a AAA light, not AA. If the P2 is too long for your organizer, the P1 will also fill all those same needs except maximum brightness of the P1 is 100 lumens vs 200 lumens on the P2.

The P2 is longer than what I would like, but the P1 does have potential.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
If you sign up for the Emails, they'll send you one. I have a code, but I'm not sure if anyone can use it, or if it's a one time use only that's got a slightly different code for each person.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
You might be pleasantly surprised at how truly useful that light can be, and how much you really don't need the 100 lumen mode. The 60 lumen high isn't insanely bright by today's standards, but that doesn't stop it from being plenty for most tasks. I rotate a Preon P2 frequently, and my most used modes are 1 lumen low and 30 lumen medium. I almost never feel like I need more than 30 lumens.

Noctiluco

Newly Enlightened
Wurkkos WK01 has a version with a SST20 4000K led, has a forward, but it is a single AAA form.