Upgrade from an old Nitecore D4

smasher

Newly Enlightened
I've had an Nitecore D4 charger for a few years, and it's alright for me, but it may be time to consider an upgrade.

What I like about the D4:
  • Slow charge option

What I don't like about the D4:
  • AAA cells don't fit well

Also, I've got some 18650s that were recovered from old laptops, and some of them are dead to the D4. It seems that some newer chargers may be able to "rejuvenate" them?

Anyway, I mostly just charge protected 18650s and ni-mh AA & AAA batteries. I like the slow charge, so the batteries may last longer, and I don't like having to fight with AAA cells to get them to fit into the D4. Otherwise, the D4 pretty much meets my expectations of a battery charger.

With that in mind, what would be a good upgrade?

Neurotoxin

Newly Enlightened
I've had an Nitecore D4 charger for a few years, and it's alright for me, but it may be time to consider an upgrade.

What I like about the D4:
  • Slow charge option

What I don't like about the D4:
  • AAA cells don't fit well

Also, I've got some 18650s that were recovered from old laptops, and some of them are dead to the D4. It seems that some newer chargers may be able to "rejuvenate" them?

Anyway, I mostly just charge protected 18650s and ni-mh AA & AAA batteries. I like the slow charge, so the batteries may last longer, and I don't like having to fight with AAA cells to get them to fit into the D4. Otherwise, the D4 pretty much meets my expectations of a battery charger.

With that in mind, what would be a good upgrade?

Wow, can't believe nobody has chimed in by now. I literally just made this account because I remember reading flashlight stuff around here when I was a lot younger, over a decade ago I believe. Anyway, what better way to have my first post than to help a fellow forum member. I'd suggest getting the Opus BT-C3100. I've had that charger for many, many years and it hasn't failed me since. It charges anything from triple A batteries all the way up to 21700 and batteries like that. I use mine mostly for charging protected 18650's since that's what I have and use the most of. It has customizable charge speeds and can charge all 4 bays simultaneously at 1 amp. It goes up to 2 amps but at that setting, you can only use 2 bays at a time (number 1 and number 4). It has a bunch of options like the one you mentioned of "rejuvenating" batteries. It's called refresh on the unit. It can check the internal resistance of batteries, do a quick check of overall health, it can discharge batteries and you can also set it up to charge batteries at nominal voltage for long term storage by just flipping a switch inside the unit. I've charged AA and AAA batteries as well and it functions perfectly for those as well, and since you can customize the charging speed, you can slow charge them like you prefer by setting the charge speed to 200mAh. Hope this helps :) It's like 50 bucks online and well worth the money for such a versatile, reliable and tried and true unit IMO. Cheers!