Help me choose a new single AAA light to carry! My trusty Fenix LD01 is dying.

rishma

Newly Enlightened
Hello flashlight enthusiasts!

I have carried the same single AAA everyday since around 2008 (I think). It's a Fenix LD01. I use eneloop batteries. It seems to have finally worn out and doesn't turn on consistently without having to fuss with it. I think the switch in the head is worn.

obviously I like the light. It's not sentimental but has been a constant companion for many years.

I have only carried two other lights. One was the Fenix LD02. I liked the light and liked that it was a little more flood than the LD01 but did not care for the clicky switch. I like a twist and the ability to tail stand.

I also had a ThruNite. It was pretty good but I didn't like the neutral white led as much as the cooler LD01 and LD02, but those Fenix were not as cool as some others I have seen. I also liked the finish of the LD01 more since it didn't have the knurl which malted up my folder a lot. Knurled is not a deal breaker.

so, what do you recommend? I have looked at the ThruNite in CW. Seems like it could fit my meeds
and the price is low. I really like the looks of the Matatac Copper AAA rev 6. My biggest concern is the light being too cool and the hot spot being too hot.

I don't know a lot about lights except that I always want one in my pocket. happy to have any thoughts you are willing to share (or spare LD01 of you want to loan it out for a decade or so).

thanks!

parametrek

Enlightened
Please don't think worse of neutral white because of Thrunite. Thrunite is commendable for offering neutral white across their entire lineup but they also use the absolute cheapest and inconsistent neutral white LEDs which usually tend to look particularly green or yellow.

Plugging your requirements (1xAAA and tailstand and twist switch) into the flashlight search engine finds 34 matches. Ignoring the single mode lights and the stuff with lots of knurling finds 3 that you might like:

• Lumintop EDC01
  • Lumintop EDC02
  • Jetbeam Jet-µ

I'd avoid the EDC01. It uses an XP-G3 LED and they have a reputation for being kind of ugly. Though it is available for just $10 on amazon.

rishma

Newly Enlightened
Please don't think worse of neutral white because of Thrunite. Thrunite is commendable for offering neutral white across their entire lineup but they also use the absolute cheapest and inconsistent neutral white LEDs which usually tend to look particularly green or yellow.

Plugging your requirements (1xAAA and tailstand and twist switch) into the flashlight search engine finds 34 matches. Ignoring the single mode lights and the stuff with lots of knurling finds 3 that you might like:

• Lumintop EDC01
  • Lumintop EDC02
  • Jetbeam Jet-µ

I'd avoid the EDC01. It uses an XP-G3 LED and they have a reputation for being kind of ugly. Though it is available for just $10 on amazon.

thank you for the options. I had not looked at any of those yet. And a flashlight search engine! That should be hours of distraction for me.

noted on the ThruNite NW. They are pretty low cost and it makes sense they might use a lower end LEDs.

I appreciate rhe help.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
The maratac AAA newest version is a great light. I have one in brass. The neutral emitter is very pleasant on the eyes, it tailstands and has a pocket clip you can leave or remove easily. The aaa surefire titan-a is really good too, but it's expensive. Between the maratac and surefire all my other aaa's seem to lack something in comparison.

I do very much like the aaa streamlight microstream for its simplicity and low cost.

rishma

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. To hold me over I bought a cheap ThruNite in CW. Man the color is bad. Very green. But it handled what I needed to handle the last couple of nights. I didn't know I was picky about the led color but I don't like the Cree XP-G2 much. maybe I should have saved my $12 and just bought the Maratac. Then titan is too pricey for me. The streamlight is much longer than what I have carried. I think I'll try Maratac.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Thanks. To hold me over I bought a cheap ThruNite in CW. Man the color is bad. Very green. But it handled what I needed to handle the last couple of nights. I didn't know I was picky about the led color but I don't like the Cree XP-G2 much. maybe I should have saved my $12 and just bought the Maratac. Then titan is too pricey for me. The streamlight is much longer than what I have carried. I think I'll try Maratac.

Welcome. Yeah a green tint is just awful. I don't think you will be disappointed with a maratac.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I had the exact same problem and opted for a Lumintop EDC01. Impressions after one day:
  • THE GOOD : Flood-y beam, doesn't seem to use PWM, more compact than the LD01, has reasonable mode arrangement, clips to a keyring well, head twists smoothly
  • THE BAD : The finish is going to take more of a beating sooner than the LD01 did (the sharp edges are already wearing after a day on the keyring), no lens over the optic, meh LED tint, I will surely lose the diffuser sooner rather than later
  • THE UGLY : Not so sure that it's going to last anywhere near as long as the LD01

It was very inexpensive - think I got it for $8 as a Prime Day special. Of note the LD01 was $42 in 2010 which would be about $51 today so I need not expect it to last anywhere near as long to realize similar inflation-adjusted TCO.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. To hold me over I bought a cheap ThruNite in CW. Man the color is bad. Very green. But it handled what I needed to handle the last couple of nights.
I think I'll try Maratac.
I did not like the tint of my Thrunite Ti3, nor my Maratac. I like both hosts though, so I changed the LEDs to something more to my liking...

Ug4tuv1l.jpg

here is a tutorial how to swap the LED in a Ti3

and a pic of one of my Maratacs (personal favorite)
IMG_3567.JPG

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
LD01 is a twisty. It doesn't have a switch in the head to wear out.

Most likely there's just dirt or oxidation causing you not to get a clean connection.
1. Swab out the threads and the bottom of the inside of the head with a q-tip.
2. Apply de-oxit gold to the contacts on the bottom of the driver inside the head, and to the threads.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak Eiger or Eiger Ultra.
it'll never fail. Never.
it runs on regular batteries and high voltage lithium.

I'm strongly partial to USA made gear.

rishma

Newly Enlightened
Peak Eiger or Eiger Ultra.
it'll never fail. Never.
it runs on regular batteries and high voltage lithium.

I'm strongly partial to USA made gear.

I'll check them out. Thank you.

Most likely there's just dirt or oxidation causing you not to get a clean connection.
2. Apply de-oxit gold to the contacts on the bottom of the driver inside the head, and to the threads.

I'll give that a try! Thank you. That would be fantastic.

rishma

Newly Enlightened
I did not like the tint of my Thrunite Ti3, nor my Maratac. I like both hosts though, so I changed the LEDs to something more to my liking...

Ug4tuv1l.jpg

here is a tutorial how to swap the LED in a Ti3

and a pic of one of my Maratacs (personal favorite)
IMG_3567.JPG

Thanks for the tutorial. I am in the process of moving at the moment so no free time but that is definitely something I think I could handle. Down the flashlight rabbit hole I'll go…

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
What became of the Thrunite neutral color?

not sure I understand the question, but Im glad you asked because a quick google found it on sale here. So I bought 4 more..

I find NW Low CRI so disgusting, I simply remove the LED and throw it in the trash.. replaced with 219b:
jys025Gl.jpg

If anybody wants one modded to High CRI, PM me.

Last edited:

rishma

Newly Enlightened

I cleaned the contact throughly and the light works good as new. I am very pleased to have my old friend back in pocket. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast

I cleaned the contact throughly and the light works good as new. I am very pleased to have my old friend back in pocket. Thank you very much.

:twothumbs

Best Consumer Support
Prize of the week! :thumbsup:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sofirn C01 or C01S. The C01 is a single-mode twistie with a nice tail for a lanyard and slots for a trit and/or a magnet. The C01S is essentially the same case but with two output levels. I have several around the house and in pants pockets/on keychains, and have given several away. At ~$7 USD they can't be beat. Banggood or Amazon is where to look.

Javora

Enlightened
I have a Thrunite Ti3 titanium which has the most awful green tint I've ever seen. The battery compartment however is a thing of beauty. Later on I bought a Maratac titanium AAA and while it has a great tint, the battery compartment IMHO compresses the battery too much and I don't like the keychain mount. Luckily for me the Thrunight battery compartment legos perfectly with the Maratac LED.