CR-123A Question

UFO

Newly Enlightened
I'm new here and was just reading a thread entitled: "Exploding Flashlights". The post, as well as a link, referenced that it could be dangerous to use CR-123A's in certain situations, and recommended that instead of using CR-123A's, use a rechargeable 16340 or 16650 instead. I might be going off the deep-end here but that post has me worried now.

So how would I know if the flashlights I own that use CR-123A's would accept a 16340/16650? And should I discontinue use of CR-123A's?

The ones I'm referring to are the Streamlight Scorpion and Polytac models. Both types use two CR-123A batteries.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

_______
Mike

hsa

Enlightened
The two flashlight products that you mentioned are very good tools from a reliable company. Cr 123 batteries have served the flashlight industry and millions of photographers well. Unless you completely run out of things to worry about I wouldn't worry about these batteries in those lights.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple things you need to do to use CR123's in multi cell lights:

Don't mix new and used cells - be careful not to get new mixed up with old when changing batteries and to only use fresh batteries from the same package.

Don't use Chinese made cells, also only buy USA made cells from reputable sources to avoid fakes (amazon is not a reputable source due to their commingling).

Using two 16340 Li-ions are no safer than CR123's, probably less and they have higher Voltage and will likely damage your lights if they are not specifically designed to handle the extra Voltage.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Generally speaking, multi-cell setups are less safe and less reliable than single cell.

Years ago, multiple cells were needed for adequate output, but that is much less the case now.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ones I'm referring to are the Streamlight Scorpion and Polytac models. Both types use two CR-123A batteries
Mike
If your flashlight is using Xenon bulb, then you should replace the bulb with Strion bulb and use single rechargeable 16650 battery.
But if your flashlight is LED type, all you need to do is use single rechargeable 16650.

Edit:
Use protected and good brand batteries like
this and ofcourse quality charger.

Last edited:

UFO

Newly Enlightened
If your flashlight is using Xenon bulb, then you should replace the bulb with Strion bulb and use single rechargeable 16650 battery.
But if your flashlight is LED type, all you need to do is use single rechargeable 16650.

Edit:
Use protected and good brand batteries like
this and ofcourse quality charger.
Thank you for this information Fivemega. I will purchase the 16650's and use them as primaries while keeping some CR-123's on hand for emergencies. Most appreciated.