Reed switches flashlights

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any experiences with reed switches flashlights?

You referring to 'magnetic reed switches'? If so, I have experience, but not in flashlights. How would they be used? Most have very low current ratings, but of course they could work in a low current control circuit. Still not sure how one would incorporate one in a flashlight though. Perhaps you're talking about a different kind of 'reed switch'?

thala

Newly Enlightened
You referring to 'magnetic reed switches'? If so, I have experience, but not in flashlights. How would they be used? Most have very low current ratings, but of course they could work in a low current control circuit. Still not sure how one would incorporate one in a flashlight though. Perhaps you're talking about a different kind of 'reed switch'?

I have some explosion proof flashlights from Japan and they have this kind of reed switch. just wondering how reliable the switch is?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I've had at one time an old Radio Shack 100 in 1 project hit that had in it a project to make an alarm using a reed switch and magnet. Reed switches I think are common on alarm systems but they can be fragile from what I have seen a hard drop could ruin one perhaps and like someone said here they are likely lower current and would be hard to use in a multi mode light as you would need a way to move a magnet to and from the switch to connect it and any large metal object could possibly trip your light. I think I've heard of magnetic ring lights not sure how they work though. You could make a reed switch reliable in use but likely a hard drop just right would damage it.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some explosion proof flashlights from Japan and they have this kind of reed switch. just wondering how reliable the switch is?

Silly me! Of course - the hazardous environment, explosion-proof market! The advantages of a mercury switch without all the now - politically incorrect toxicity.

They (reed switches and relays) can be both rugged and reliable. Check out some of the offerings from outfits like Littelfuse, etc. They're fairly widely used in industrial apps and various systems / equipment, but I can't say how widely used they are in flashlights. It's interesting to know that they are, however - thanks!

thala

Newly Enlightened
I experience some issues with the one of my explosion proof flashlights. I switch it ON and when I switch it OFF it still remains lights thats why I am asking. probably it is issue of the reed switch and I am trying to fix it