Light with intuitive switches?

htraps

Newly Enlightened
I'm sick of the (seemingy all) lights that access modes by holding, double clicking, screwing reflector in and out etc. its all stupid to me. Fine if you just like playing with it, but picture handing the light to someone and expecting then to know exactly how it works, or even putting it away for a few months then trying to work it out again in an instant.

Is there any light on the market with intuitive switches? Say one that has 2 switches, one to turn it on and another to change intensity? What about 4 switches on/off, high/med/low, white/red and strobe all clearly marked and all with their own switches..

What light comes closest to this?

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
So much truth, it's one of the biggest reasons I keep shying away from buying new lights. All the LED lights I've bought in the last 4 years I need to find the instruction PDF just to figure out how to get them into turbo or into a medium mode. It's just not intuitive. Maybe if every brand had the same odd ball click pattern but they're all different. The worst isn't handing an untrained person a flashlight and them not knowing how to use it. It's the warnings I have to give about not repeatedly pressing the button or holding down on it for too long or it may end up in a memory mode, change the UI further or get me locked out of knowing how to get it back to the default settings. Really it's just ludicrous. I find every time I need to grab a light and go I just pick up one of my ancient Elektro Lumens Lights. I swear the functionality of a single stage mechanical switch will get my appreciation over output, run time, or form factor any time. I must say of all the lights I've ever owned or operated that managed to have a million modes and not need a refresher course to use was the Proton Pro (One click to turn on, or you hold the button down and it slowly goes through every mode available. Very simple, no way to get lost. Or the original Maglite XL100. At the time I thought the rotary gyro switch was a gimmick but combined with the pictures on the back I never have any issue remembering how it works.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found lights that ramp up and down when held are the most intuitive for my wife (a decidedly NOT flashlight person). Close runner up are rotary interfaces

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Any light with a rotary dial is very intuitive.
But warning: handing it to the "flashlight uninitiated" usually results in being turned up all the way and left there in my experience.
"Oh wow that's cool" as it goes up and down, and then straight to maximum.

LEDphile

Enlightened
IMO, the old 2-stage Surefire tailcap switches found on lights like the A2 (press for low / press harder for high) are still among the finest user interfaces developed for a flashlight used for work. Unfortunately, the choice of modern lights with those switches is pretty small.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Interesting question, and not necessarily as obvious as it may seem.

I think that the absolutely *most* intuitive flashlight switch is the single-mode forward mechanical clicky.

Almost everyone in modern life has vast experience with this type of switch.

As soon as pressure is applied, light is emitted. With additional force, an audible and tactile "click" is evident, notifying the user of the latching mechanism.

One mode only, so ON is pretty obvious compared to OFF.

Reverse clicky involves a delay of output until _after_ latching that can seem like the switch is "broken"

Let's consider other types of switches ...

Momentary-only are not always clear how to latch on (such as by twisting) and the limited switch travel can sometimes be confusing.

Electronic switches, too, can lack audible and/or tactile cues.

Rotary (potentiometer type) are pretty clear, but there is at least possible confusion as to which direction increases or decreases output. And lower-tech "twisty" types are not always obvious that they are even really switches.

Multi-mode or multiple switch set-ups .... Ummm, nope.

Last edited:

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Fenix makes some lights that turn on and off with a tailswitch and have a switch on the head to change modes. Nice and simple.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

draver

Newly Enlightened
This subject is the very reason I now have 6 Sorfirn lights with Anduril. They all are set up exactly the same, and every light I buy will probably have Auduril also. Switch it to "Muggle" mode before handing it off to others and they get the limited ramping brightness mode and nothing else with repeated button clicks. They are locked out of all the other useful settings. The illuminated side switch is a nice feature for me and newbys also.

As far as being intuitive, they become that way when it is the only system you ever use on any light you pick up. I hate having to relearn a system every time I switch.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'm sick of the (seemingy all) lights that access modes by holding, double clicking, screwing reflector in and out etc. its all stupid to me. Fine if you just like playing with it, but picture handing the light to someone and expecting then to know exactly how it works, or even putting it away for a few months then trying to work it out again in an instant.

Is there any light on the market with intuitive switches? Say one that has 2 switches, one to turn it on and another to change intensity? What about 4 switches on/off, high/med/low, white/red and strobe all clearly marked and all with their own switches..

What light comes closest to this?

Probably a decent general answer to your question is that *some* manufacturers make lights like what you ask. But it's just *some* of their products, NOT usually their entire catalog. So, you have to sort of look around, ask on a forum, or call brightguy.com (or another seller) and ask them.

Closet thing would be a tail switch light with a selector ring that changes brightness for something intuitive that has no programming mode to accidentally enter (HDS's problem).

matt4350

Enlightened
OP raises a very good point for 'real world' use (as opposed to hobby). I've no idea how many lights I have now, but I almost invariably use only Malkoff or Elzetta with their 2 stage setup, or Surefire G2 Pro/Olight M1T with the 2 presses to access high and low. Other lights are amusing but it's too much for an old feller like me to deal with when I actually need light.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my lights are not programmable and have very few modes. I enjoy simplicity in most things especially tools. The last thing I need is for someone (anyone) to pick up one of my lights or be using them in a situation and have it become something not helpful by accidentally pressing a button wrong or turning the head inadvertently.

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
I think there are a few brands with models that have a separate on/off switch and mode button. My recently purchased Fenix LD30 is exactly like this. Since the tailswitch (on/off) is mechanical, the mode switch does nothing when the light is off.

For the record, this type of setup is not my favorite UI. However, if it is what you want, you have options.

smilefor9mm

Newly Enlightened
Several budget friendly lights have both a tail switch for on/off and a side switch for modes.

Sofirn SP31 v2.0 (no on board USB charger, but ships with an 18650 and a charger)
Sofirn TF84 (has 2 tail switches, one for on/off and a separate lever for strobe and a side switch for modes)
Thrunite BSS V4 / TT20 (tail and side switch and built in USB C charger)
Wowtac A7
Trustfire T11R
Wurkkos FC12 (just announced)

Dan