Recommend me a replacement for Convoy L6

chaosdsm

Enlightened
My Convoy L6 (purchased in 2017), I turned it on, it flashed for about 1/4 second and now it's just dead. This is the first and only flashlight I've ever used on a daily basis.

I used it at night to illuminate the entire property while investigating odd noises, in my room on low on top of a translucent white box as a soft light to read by, and when necessary as a search light, amongst other uses.

I don't have any problem buying another Convoy L6, just wondering if there's anything else I should look at as well.

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light? ONLINE

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :) UP TO $150

3) Format: HAND HELD

4) Size: UNDER 5 POUNDS (including batteries)

5) Emitter/Light source: HIGH OUTPUT LED - preferably in the range of 4500K - 5500K

6) Manufacturer: DOESN'T MATTER

7) What power source do you want to use?
USES RECHARGEABLE 26650 CELLS (have 2 chargers, 2 unprotected 26650's, and 6 protected 26650's)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience). FREQUENTLY USED HIGH MODE ON OLD CONVOY L6

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance. THROW - I CAN ALWAYS ADD A DIFUSER FILTER WHEN NEEDING MORE FLOOD. MY CONVOY L6 WITH SMOOTH REFLECTOR WAS DECENT BUT COULD HAVE HAD A BIT MORE THROW.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light FROM READING TO SEARCHING UP TO 250 YARDS & EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output). DOESN'T MATTER, I HAVE MULTIPLE SETS OF BATTERIES, BUT WOULD PREFER A MINIMUM OF 1/2 HOUR ON TURBO/MAX SETTING.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights. LOOKING MORE AT BANG FOR THE BUCK... MY OLD CONVOY L6 DID THE TRICK - USED DAILY (up to 8 hours a day at times) & LASTED JUST A BIT OVER 4 YEARS...

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply): NOT SMALLER THAN A DIME & I'M FINE WITH SEPERATE ON/OFF & MODE SWITCHES - I LIKED THE CONVOY SETUP WITH TAIL SWITCH & MODE SWITCH UNDER THE HEAD

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.) WOULD PREFER 5 MODE 1%, 10%, 25%, 50%, & 100% OUTPUT OR RELATIVELY SIMILAR.
____I want a strobe mode. (Oscillating pattern to confuse/blind aka "Police Mode") NOT NECESSARY, BUT NICE TO HAVE
____I want SOS mode. (blinks in ...---... emergency pattern)
NOT NECESSARY, BUT NICE TO HAVE
____I want a beacon mode. (Regular flashes at full power to show location.)
NOT NECESSARY, BUT NICE TO HAVE & WOULD CHOOSE FIRST BEFORE THE OTHER 2.

14)Material/Finish/Coating NOTHING PLASTIC & UNFINISHED IS FINE - I CAN CERAKOTE IT MYSELF

15) Water resistance IPX6 OR BETTER, NEVER KNOW WHEN I MIGHT NEED IT DURING A STORM

16) Storage conditions KEPT IN BEDROOM OR INSIDE AN INSULATED CONTAINER WHEN OUT IN THE WILD

17) Special Needs/extras: NOT NEEDED

Last edited:

parametrek

Enlightened
My Convoy L6 (purchased in 2017), I turned it on, it flashed for about 1/4 second and now it's just dead. This is the first and only flashlight I've ever used on a daily basis.

That stinks. But it might be very easy to get it working again. Convoys are known for how easy they are to mod and that is because they don't use threadlocker anywhere. But there is a consequence to that - threads can work themselves loose.

It sounds like the retaining ring in the tailswitch might be loose. To test this:

• Remove the tailcap.
  • Get a short piece of wire.
  • Use the wire to connect the battery negative terminal with the exposed aluminum body tube.

If it turns on normally then the switch has a problem. A pair of snap ring pliers or tweezers can tighten the retaining ring.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
@chaosdsm - Reach out to SkyLumen and see if Vinh has anything you might like.
A few 26650 options pop up when you use the search feature on his website.

His lights are high performance with a ton of output modes if desired.

crn3371

Newly Enlightened
There's the modded L6's available from lumencraft, or wait for the announced, but not available yet, L7.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I'm not certain this is the light you have, but Adventure Sports sells an L6. You can look on their site. [h=3]"f your light DOES NOT POWER ON, or at any time it QUITS WORKING the reason is because the"THREAD COVER" for the lanyard ring (or the LANYARD RING if you have it installed) between the tail end of the body and the tail cap has come loose, and is preventing the tail cap from threading on all the way. Retighten the thread cover (or lanyard ring) to enable the tail cap to thread down all the way and make electrical contact with the light body and the light will be able to power on."[/h]

chaosdsm

Enlightened
(or the LANYARD RING if you have it installed) between the tail end of the body and the tail cap has come loose, and is preventing the tail cap from threading on all the way.

Wow... that was it and it was less than half a turn loose too. Guess I'll put some thread locker on there.

crn3371 said:
There's the modded L6's available from lumencraft, or wait for the announced, but not available yet, L7.

See a few things that pique my interest at Lumencraft :) and the L7 looks good too (shows available on AliExpress).... decisions decisions decisions....

Last edited: