Dorcy 1 AA/3 led runtime?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just picked up one of these, and am very pleased with it. Has anyone done any runtime/lux tests on these with regular alks or liths?

paulr

Flashaholic
I measured the current drain at about 250 mA with both an alkaline and NiMH cell, suggesting maybe 8-10 hours runtime with an alkaline, which is somewhat less than a CMG Ultra gets. Craig Johnson measured the current at 390 mA on his unit, which would be more in the 6 hour range. I don't know the reason for the discrepancy. Anyway, I think for most users, even 6 hours is plenty of runtime. That's about how long the battery in an Arc AAA lasts, and people rarely think about having to replace those.

I'd be interested to check the Dorcy runtime with a cheap zinc-carbon AA cell, but I don't have any of those cells around right now.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, paulr, for your response. I was interested because I use mine to read in bed. It's larger, brighter more uniform hotspot is better for illuminating a page than the Arc AAA and Dorcy AAA I had used before. Reading in bed can rack up hours of on time as the days go by. I've been using regular alks with no issues.

wwglen

Enlightened
With a 2100 mAH NiMH battery staying at a hotel with the family. Placing it on in the bathroom at bedtime it would run for the whole night about 8-9 hours and then just about turn completly dark right after we got up.

Using a alkiline battery we got (I think) three or four nights before it was too dim to use as a night light. The light did dim considerably over that time.

wwglen