A flashlight for lake fishing, power outages

Lemurian

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody,
A coworker is an avid lake fisherman and needs a reliable flashlight with nice throw to get a look at the shoreline from his smallish "tin boat." I was thinking of maybe a FourSevens slate blue Quark with a lanyard might be nice, but I know there are a lot of options out there. I lean towards the American flashlights for durability and reliability. A higher cri would be good. The upcoming triple Maelstrom would be great, but I don't know if he wants to put that much money down, plus I don't know when it will be coming out. Thoughts?
Thanks a bunch!...Lemurian

QMT93

Enlightened
I think a headlamp would let you use both hands, therefore more convenient. For American made headlamp, with high CRI, you can check Zebralight.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
How far away from shore does he usually go? How much mist does he run into? Will he need it to look at things in his boat in the dark or does he have a separate utility light? Size, weight, and run time preferences? Fresh water or salt water fishing?

Off the top of my head, I would say Streamlight HL-X USB. It's has a significant hotspot, but the spill might be a little too bright reflecting back if there is a LOT of mist. I've compared it to my P20i and the HL-X USB has almost the same throw at about half the lumens and doesn't get hot nearly as fast. One downside is that I had to loosen the head about 1/8 turn to get the hotspot focused properly... it isn't locktited so it was easy. Low is 65 lumens, so it it might be a little bright for looking at things in the boat at night.

I don't own Malkoff, but maybe something like the M61HOT flashlight.

If he likes the old style larger lights, Streamlight and Maglite have some larger NiMH and NiCad (I think) rechargeable flashlights that are very spotty. Some people prefer the recharging mount to keep their flashlights in until they head out the door with them. They wouldn't be pocketable though.

Edit: Ya, I keep forgeting about Zebralight. How is he with figuring out UI's?

Last edited:

Lemurian

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your responses. The lakes out here in Northern California, the ones he has been going to, have a lot of fingers and are big. They are still significantly large, even during this crappy drought. I did not think about mist, which will be a consideration after the change in seasons. Smoke is a consideration now. I think he'd be cool with the Zebralight UI. I like the idea of having a task light with you...two is one and one is none!