opalec newbeam

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newbeam is not the brightest light around but it is reliable, inexpensive and easy to install in a Mini Mag. It does have a decent run time too. The battery checker does come in handy for testing for depleted cells.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
Does anyone know if there is a 1 watt LS conversion available for the mini-mag? Any other conversions that are better/brighter? Many thanks.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
MadMax and BadBoy are the brightest I've ever seen for a Mini Mag. They are luxury mods for the Mini Mag, expensive and worth every penny. They both have Luxeons and they are bright. Don't look into the light bright.
Review

Sellers web page

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
haveblue,

Can you tell if these units come as a drop in replacement? I see all are listed as kits without the sandwich module. Don't know much about this stuff, but sounds interesting.

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I went walking with the wife and dog last night and used the MM Opalec. No matter how many times I use it I'm still pleased with my purchase. There was a full moon but the light from the Opalec was just right. Not so weak as to be useless but enough to navigate for up to 20 foot in front without disrupting vision. The thing I like best is the uniformity of colour and the lack of any artifacts in the beam. I use both my Opalecs on Ni-Mh batteries and never have to worry about cost. The little red diode which warns of depleting batteries is very useful but I always carry a couple of spares anyway. Although I have 2 SF KL1's on E2e's I usually prefer the Opalec modded MM for the majority of walks at night.

Doug

Mattman

Enlightened
Yukon_Jack,
All of the modules listed on the page that haveblue linked to are complete. They come with O-rings, Optics and the module itself. You supply the minimag and you're set. All of those mods are brighter than a stock minimag.

Filament

Newly Enlightened
I had a beat-up old mini and purchased the Opalec as an "upgrade". I have been very impressed with it. I mainly keep it as a night-time, check-on-the-kids light, and also as an emergency back-up light in case of a power outage, due to the long run time. I had an extra set of the L91 lithium batteries that I installed, so the weight is next to nothing.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Thanks for the info Mattman,

So what does the "WO" stand for when Wayne writes "Madmax Lite WO Sandwich Module Kit" in the title?

daloosh

stockae92

Enlightened
wide open? hehe

somebody tell us what it means /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

utomatoe

Enlightened
Wide Open == wide open.

Hrm... Previously they had a POT that you could change the resistance on, and hence the output current. WO means, no POT, u get the max current the madmax can pump out.

The MM Lite is current limited to around 400mA I think... maybe lower. The specs are on the site.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Thanks stockae92 and utomatoe for the insights! Wayne is out of the T bins right now in that drop in. Oh well, I didn't really have $55 anyways...

daloosh