ID check at Walmart for gasket maker

fivebyfive

Enlightened
I bought some gasket maker at Walmart in a small tube the other day and the cashier asked for my ID. I gave her my ID then asked her why she wanted it. So, she picked up the gasket maker and showed it to me. It struck me funny. I've never ever been asked for ID for something like gasket maker before. I understand spray paint and maybe even hair bleach, but not gasket maker. What's next? Anti-freeze and car batteries...?

Greta

Flashaholic
I imagine because of the ingredients? Glue sniffing and all that? Maybe? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

BF Hammer

Enlightened
No ID required to shop-lift it. That's what I would expect a huffer to do anyway since they don't have any money to buy real drugs with.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have been carded for carb cleaner at wally world once out of 10 times.
rather inconsistant or cashiers not following procedure?
since i work on my own stuff i buy lots of automotive supplies there.
the time i got carded i had 1 can of carb cleaner,2 jugs of m1 and 2 jugs of atf.
several times not a word was said when i bought a whole case of the carb cleaner!
is synthetic oil and transmission fluid abuseable?

Greta

Flashaholic
snakebite... I don't know how old you are... or look... but I know from my own experience, that when the prompt for ID pops up on the register, I just look at the customer and more often than not, just override the prompt and don't ask for ID. More often than not, I'll jokingly ask if they are going to use the spray paint to paint graffiti on the new sound wall north of town... or sniff the glue... or use the razor blades for their cocaine... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ... they giggle and usually make some equally joking reply. It's the same with asking some 85 year old guy if he's old enough to buy a case of beer or a pack of smokes. I ask them if they are old enough... but I don't make them drag out their ID.

M

MeridianTactical

I have been carded for solvents and such... It's an age thing... if you under 18 it is againt the law to sniff paint thiner etc. if your over 18 it's OK... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Personaly I think if you want to sniff the stuff, be my guest... its Darwinism at its finest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6pOriginal

Enlightened
Does wally world have a rule like Safeway or Walgreens that goes like "if you look under 30, they will card you..." or they just card everyone? They card my mom at safeway all the time (my mom's almost 50) and that makes my mom happy! lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its left up to the cashier as a judgement call since they are the ones that will actually be making the sale to the underage government worker testing them. We had one cashier who was smart, if the person buying the beer didn't have grey hair and walk with a cane she would page a manager to do it. They do it at the hardware store with spray paint too. But like BF hammer said the people who would sniff it would just steal it anyway, much like someone who wants to hijack an airplane won't do it with fingernail clippers so they punish the innocent again.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Sasha said:
snakebite... I don't know how old you are... or look... but I know from my own experience, that when the prompt for ID pops up on the register, I just look at the customer and more often than not, just override the prompt and don't ask for ID. More often than not, I'll jokingly ask if they are going to use the spray paint to paint graffiti on the new sound wall north of town... or sniff the glue... or use the razor blades for their cocaine... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ... they giggle and usually make some equally joking reply. It's the same with asking some 85 year old guy if he's old enough to buy a case of beer or a pack of smokes. I ask them if they are old enough... but I don't make them drag out their ID.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, it must be really fun to be served by a cashier like you, Sasha.
From all of stores' cashiers that i have been in so far only say something like "hi, how are you doing" and that is it. not that i am complaining, but just observation.

cryptoguru

Newly Enlightened
If yah dont like Walmarts attitude, there's always the competition to shop from. So far Walmart hasn't done me wrong yet. I never had been carded except they got curious what I was going to do with 10 packs of condoms. Told them it was for my friends in iraq.

FlashGordon

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cryptoguru said:
I never had been carded except they got curious what I was going to do with 10 packs of condoms. Told them it was for my friends in iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think Iraq is the last place someone would need a condom. I'm assuming your friends were servicemen or servicewomen?

cryptoguru

Newly Enlightened
serviceman, Lt. Col.USA. I have no idea what he used them for. I think he may have distrubuted it among the enlisted for their safety?

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
next time they question me for carb/brake cleaner i will ask them for a paper bag and rag to go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
6pOriginal said:
I think they may be using the condoms on their rifles. They put condoms on the muzzles of their rifles to keep the dirt/sand out.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I've heard about some of those Vietnam-era rifles (M16s) and their tendency to jam with the tiniest bit of sand in them, that's a great idea!

cryptoguru

Newly Enlightened
Yeah unfortunately the colonel owes me $2900 in the 50 or so shipments of different types of things I've sent him in the last 18 months.

But hey for saving my *** in a dog fight many years ago..no money can buy that.

cryptoguru

Newly Enlightened
Yep...sortie which I am not at liberty to discuss. Got <font color="red">*content edited by Sasha* </font> before I made 05.

<font color="red">*Please take note that the language used in this post was/is inappropriate for this forum. Foul language will not be tolerated. Continued use will result in banning.* </font>

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the british troops got distributed condoms to put over the ends of their rifles to stop sand getting in. Our troops are issued the SA80 (i think thats it), which have a reputation for jamming even under ideal conditions.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember when I was a kid and made models. One day, I bought a model .... took it home to start building it. Looked through all the packaging, where the heck is the glue? Gotta be here somewhere .....hmm, very odd. Went back and was informed glue was no longer going to be included in model kits because people were sniffing it.

Oh well.

Mike