Which light/lights for me?

RonD

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm a first time poster but have visited this site many times seeking knowledge. I have to admit the posters on this site have taught me that there's a lot more to flashlights than I ever knew. I've decided that I know just about enough to be dangerous with my $'s so I've decided to ask for your input.

Here is my situation:
I am the head guide for a backcountry llama trekking company. As such, I spend quite a few nights working in bear and wolf country. My job requires me to have a light capable to doing chores around the camp afer dark. (I have found a headlamp to be very useful for this as it frees my hands.) I also like to spend a few minutes lying down and reading or writing in my log before turning in.
In addition, I have to check on the safety of my animals at night. Often they will be 50 or more yards from where my tent is. I hate getting up and walking through the meadow to where they are and wish I had a light capable of spotting them from the tent. I guessing some sort of handheld flashlight would be my best choice here, but am open to sugestions. If you were to have $200-$250 to spend on flashlight(s) or headlight(s) or a combination of a flashlight and a headlight what would you choose? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
RonD,
Welcome to CPF!
For a bright headlamp I would recommend is the Princeton Tec Yukon HL.
For reading I recommend the Petzl Tika+.
I think a task light is worthwhile too. I recommed the ARC AA or CMG Infinity Ultra or Ultra-G.
My bright light is a Surefire M6. I'm not sure what to recommend in your price range. Maybe a 2C Mag with 3x123 and a KPR112 or a Mag 5 or 6 cell bulb.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Considering price, I wonder if the PM6 would have the reach? If not isn't the SL TL-3 the longest throw for a 3 cell 123L light? I notice that they are $49.99 at LA Police Gear.

Someone here can give better advice on that light. At 50 yards I think the PM6 would be sufficient, but at the price of the TL 3 it would be tempting to go that route if the extra size did not bother you.

Jerry

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
$200 limit? Underwater Kinetics Light Cannon 100 = 450 lumens, runs on C batteries, 1000 hour bulb life, water proof for sure, to 500 feet. $170, www.BrightGuy. com . Thats Light 1. Next Stream Light, Twin Task 2L, $30, Incandescent and LED combo. Same WEB sight. Now up to just $200 bucks and you have a versitile Every Day Carry(EDC) and a real bright HID which comes with a free FLOOD light lens too! Every thing else cost more $$$$.............. Have Fun! Enjoy:)

NikolaTesla
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!
My Lights: *** http://www.tjtech.org/gallery/NikolaTesla/Nikola_lights2_001

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the CPF, RonD. I'd combine Hogshead's and JerryM's suggestions and go with the headlights and SL-TL3, plus a small Arc AAA or AA or Infinity LED light for your pocket. Those are only my personal preferences, you may like something else.

For me, I'd avoid the M*g mod because it's larger and heavier than the TL-3. That UKE Light Cannon would give you the most light if you actually need that much. Again, it's much bigger and heavier than the good throwing TL-3.

It seems like you wouldn't be using the far throwing light for extended periods so the three $1.25 lithium cells for a TL-3 wouldn't bankrupt you. How long are you away from civilization and supplies?

RonD

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the response. I'm usually out for three to five days. Your right in saying I will only use the "long throw" light for short periods of time, just long enough to make a head count of the critters. The size of the light is not overly important however I do need to keep it as small as i can as guide space is always at a premium. I normally carry this type of gear in my own backpack. Guides hump a 30 pound pack but customers only carry a light daypack. The llamas carry the rest.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello RonD,

If you look at Doug's (Quickbeam) throw vs output charts in the Reviews section, you will find which lights will have an output of 1 lux at 50 meters.

You will first have to decide if 1 lux is enough light to do a "head count." You may want a little more than that, but if it is totally dark it may be enough.

For example, the SureFire G2 will still have 1 lux of light at 63.25 meters.

You can then look at the output chart to get an idea of the beam shape. A spot beam with little spill will have little overall output. A flood light with lots of spill will have a high overall output.

If you have any of the lights reviewed, you can set up a test to get a feel for how much light 1 lux is.

This should give you a place to start from.

Tom

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coming at this from a different perspective: can/do the llamas wear collars/tags or anything on them at night? A reflective band worn by the target(I believe Nite Ize sells something like this, but any reflector would do) greatly increases the "range" of any throw flashlight. Try it by your home; the beam of your light will reach out and dissipate into nothingness, but... it will tweak a very distant car's tail light/reflector and it will be totally visible, even though the area around it isn't illuminated to the eye. Stop/road signs are good for this test as well.

This way, no matter what light you end up going with, you'll find it easier to count your flock. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Maybe different animals could have different color reflectors, etc.

RonD

Newly Enlightened
I never thought about that idea. The boy's don't wear tags etc. We tie out some of them, and the others we leave free. Normally they will all stick together so there is really no need in staking them all. They do wear halters (wee the halters here http://www.yellowstone-llamas.com/meet.html) Maybe I could find a way to integrate some reflective material into the halters. Great idea, thanks!