Pelican M6 LED Vs. Streamlight TL-2 LED

grayman4hire

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I am deciding on the M6 LED or the TL-2 LED. Both lights are very similar in design and price.

It really hard for me to decide. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gifPlease help out.

Which one do you like and why?

grayman4hire

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
grayman4hire,

I have both, and just now went outside and compared the throw.
I shined on the front of my travel trailer. I could read the name at 30 yards with the TL-2LED, and 45 yards with the PM6 LED. The PM6 LED is obviously brighter and has a 50% longer throw.

The SL is definitely smaller than the PM6. It is also somewhat lighter. For most uses I prefer the SL, because it is bright, and small. It is only slightly larger than the E2e.
However, if I were to carry it in a holster, and might need the longer throw, the PM6 is clearly better.

If I had to keep only one it would be difficult. Probably it would be the SL because of its small size. It also has a clip, and is small enough for carry in a coat or jacket pocket. However, the PM6 is the better buy as it comes with a nice holster.

Jerry

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I also have both. The PM6 LED throws farther than the SL-2 LED but the SL-2 has more sidespill. If I want to take a walk at night I take my TL-2 for the sidespill. I like the clip on the TL-2 and as others have mentioned the PM6 is larger. The PM6 is a clickie and the TL-2 is a twistie. You can stand the TL-2 on its tail but not the PM6. I guess I have both because I could not decide which one I liked better either. But I guess if I had to choose only one it would be the TL-2 for its size. One note on the PM6 holster is that the TL-2 fits it perfectly, if you leave the clip on the TL-2.

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Pelican M6 LED has a beautiful beam that has excellent throw and good sidespill Every M6 LED I have is very white, with excellent beam quality (no rings, holes, or blotches).

The only lights IMO that can compare to the Pelican M6 LED in terms of beam quality are Surefires.

grayman4hire

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for everyone's comments.

I think I will be going for the TL-2 LED because of the size difference and the fact that the M6 has that ugly red button!

duncanmx

Newly Enlightened
I have a somewhat more unique perspective on this, having followed about 3Km of tracks alongside a co-worker after a late March snowstorm.

His light> THe TL2
My light> The PM6 LED.

DIfferences? Throw was noticeable. PM6 threw considerably further. The PM6 was also noticeably whiter - an interesting comment actually made by my partner, whose brother is a streamlight rep. Both of em lit up houses we jogged by equally well, both of em were fine for picking out the prints of our quarry from others, both of em are bright enough for use at or above 7 Mph on foot without any problems.

Which one do I recommend? Well, I bought the PM6 for a few reasons:
1) I handled both lights, the PM6 had better tolerances on the threads and feels better in my hand. Additionally its about the perfect thickness to serve as a "roll of quarters" should someone surprise me before I can go for something else. (note also that the belt clip HURTS when used in this manner, which admittedly is somewhat LEO specific).

2) The PM6 was white. REALLY white. WHITE white. The TL-2 I had used was purple in comparison. Note that it looks quite white when its not placed beside the PM6.

3) THe PM6 was on sale to LEO's. I paid about $35 CAN less than I would have for a TL-2.

As to size? They both fit in my external body armor carrier, so Its not an issue for me. Side Spill? Both of em light up a car beautifully on a roadside stop in Rural Alberta Canada - Both of em work wonderfully for clearing houses for suspects who (may) be armed (like last night for instance).

Given the choice I would buy the PM6 again. If the TL-2 were closer in price I would probably just buy the cheaper of the two, but I do not regret my purchase - its replaced my SF e2e at work both for its size (Punchable!), its color (white!) and its battery life (I can actually make it back to my car!)

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
After reading a few of the above post I will add one thing. My TL-2 LED and PM6 LED are both very white. If you read all the post on these two lights it does seem that the PM6 is the more consistent in beam color. Maybe I just got a very good TL-2 LED.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i got a nice white TL-2 as well.

but i wouldnt hesitate to get either.

i personally love the little removeable clip on the TL-2.
the light rides in my pocket when we go camping. it is plenty bright enough for all my needs--maybe a little overkill.

i LOVE these new luxeon lights.

i wonder if the Pelican's extra throw is due to overdriving, reflector or luxeon bin? perhaps a combination?
i wonder if they are/will use the lux3--i have had fantastic results with the lux3.

Bob

Latest posts