Flashlight for Defense?

jbrett14

Enlightened
This is an odd question, but I am curious: Has anyone ever been in a situation where they have had to use their flashlight to deter a would be aggresive animal? If so, were you successful? The only reason I ask, is because, I enjoy camping trips to northern Ontario in the middle of the wilderness, and taking night hikes. I normally would like to carry a handgun for the just-in-case wild animal. Canadian law does not allow transportation of handguns for this reason. Other than a stick perhaps, I am not sure what else would be a good deterent, and thought a flashlight could suffice. Maybe Yukon Jack will have words of wisdom.

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Pepper spray may be more effective, a flashlight is only effective at dusk or night unless you want to use it as a club (not recommended).

The idea when dealing with animals is to get away from them, not fight with them. The pepper spray will slow or deter an animal's pursuit, not sure a flashlight will do the same. A cannister of OC-based animal (bear) repellent from your local outfitter should suffice.

jbrett14

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
wasabe64 said:
a flashlight is only effective at dusk or night unless you want to use it as a club (not recommended).

The idea when dealing with animals is to get away from them, not fight with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I have no intention of using a light as a club, Ha. I understand the idea of avoiding the animal, I would just like to be prepared for that one animal that may not want to avoid me. Last summer up at Chapleau Game Preserve there were probably a couple dozen black bear total, coming around the campsite. All but one would run away from you by simply shouting. It is that one that I am concerned about. This bear would not give up: She actually smashed the back window of another campers van and the next night came back and literally opened the unlocked door of another campers truck. It was actually kind of humorous listening to the warden try and get the bear out of the truck. I wouldn't have wanted to meet up with this type of bear or any other animal with this kind of attitude, while hiking in the woods without a reliable form of deterent. Hence my question. Thanks for the suggestion. I assumed they wouldn't allow that in Canada.

N710

Newly Enlightened
I guess something as bright as a Surefire M6 might temporarly blind and disorient an aggressive perdator but I would think only for a short time if it is determined and hungry.

Please take note, hiking alone in the mountains at night is the worst thing one could do as predators like bears,cougars and wolfs are most active at night,this is just asking for trouble.

As far as a weapon is concearned why dont you just pack a light carbine like a Winchester 30-30,their not much heavier than a large revolver.

jbrett14

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
N710 said:
Please take note, hiking alone in the mountains at night is the worst thing one could do

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I would never do this alone. Perhaps I will save my night hikes for camping closer to home, as there are no animals of this type in Southern Michigan. Mostly small critters & large deer. Although the mosquitos can be pretty aggressive, ha. Thanks for the posts. Although I may not do any more night hiking where there are dangerous animals, I am going to start packing the pepper spray for those daytime hikes.

fuego

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend that you purchase a Surefire 12ZM or 12PM
off ebay or maybe Logger(?)Tactical.Probably cost a couple hundred dollars.Lightweight,500 lumens,collectable and very cool.It delivers a searing blast of concentrated light that will deter any living creature.Try it,you will like it.

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
In addition to whichever light you decide upon, I have to agree with the reccomendations of carrying bear repellant. IIRC Canadian law only allows OC if it is specifically labled as a bear repellant. Also if it's labled as such in the US the FDA had to give it's approval.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may find it expedient, as an acquaintance of mine has, to fabricate a walking staff (he chose a durable hickory wood shovel handle) with a very long spike hammered into the end and sharpened. You simply saw about 5 or 6 inches off of the end of the handle, hammer in the spike a couple inches or so, cut off the head of the spike and sharpen it to a point, and drill a large enough hole in the end of the part of the handle you sawed off so it friction fits tightly over the spike (for safety and ready availability). Voila, not a flashlight but a real nice simple, straightforward and very effective "threat discourager". If you have to have a flashlight, tape your favorite lumen blaster to side of the staff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, yes. And I wouldn't make a habit of showing this to any forest rangers you might happen upon on the trail. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

Vermonter

Newly Enlightened
That walking staff sounds like a good way to **** off a bear and make sure it keeps attacking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

cryptoguru

Newly Enlightened
Surefire M6 or 10x is a good temporarily blindness tool. Used a 10x during a traffic stop (shined on a male from 3 feet while writing his citation)...works lovely.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Tote around a megaray and might as you well BBQ the animal and have yourself a feast, nevertheless deter it.

hamhanded

Enlightened
Wouldn't you need really good aim to keep the green dot in the eye long enough to blind?

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
For the money a modified laser would cost, might as well get a Magcharger WA or an X990.

R983

Newly Enlightened
Hiking in bear county at night doest seem like a great idea to begin with. That being said, I agree that the OC style bear/predator deterrent with a cone or fog type of spray pattern would probably be the most effective and create the least amount of repercussions legality wise.

For camp defense you can't beat a 12 gauge Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590 with a 20 inch barrel and 5+ rounds of 00 buckshot. I would imagine just the noise of a 12 gauge buckshot or slug would be enough.

Rich

Last edited:

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an X990. Blind ya real good too. 3200 lumens is Nasty!!!
Z-bolt.com or Megalaser or AltaNova got "modified" lasers. I got a "Nice Bright" one from AltaNova. 20MW will make that bear or mountain lion blind if you can hit's eyes before you get eaten. In a millisecond. Fits in pocket, runs on AAA batteries, much quiter than 30-30 rifle. A lot smaller too.

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

The LASER is instant on. Darn ARC lamps take 30 seconds to come up to full power (X990 or UK LC100) see link below. Bear could eat me in 30 seconds..... LASER= PUFFFF!
Owe by the way, the LASER is the little bitty thing on right, X990 monster on left....in old photo:

http://www.tjtech.org/gallery/NikolaTesla/Nikola_lights2_001

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!
Recent additions to My Lights: *** http://www.tjtech.org/gallery/NikolaTesla/Dscn3236