High powered Stinger

Aaron

Newly Enlightened
I saw a post recently that talked about upgrading the bulb and batteries of the SL Stinger. Does anyone exactly what battery pack and bulb to use that works? I have seen on E-Bay a battery pack that runs at 3600 Mah. Would this be effective with a WA or Ultra-Stinger bulb?

Thanks

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a search...I don't have the exact threads off hand.

I'm the daddy of that, and I used 5 1/2-subC cells and an Ultrastinger bulb in a regular STinger body. Worked really well. Doesnt't work with a StingerXT, though...

--dan

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dano, don't you mean superstinger bulb? Will an ultra fit in the stinger?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right,
This mod goes way back to Dano's work. I recently built some 6V packs but they are relatively limited aside from the higher voltage. As Dano noted, they won't fit Stingers with a tactical tailcap switch. They also use 1.3Ah cells which will give you reduced runtimes, especially with higher powered bulbs. This last point is not so much a problem if you keep it on charger or use it sparingly.

There's just no way to get 3.6Ah into the Stinger stick and still pull 6V out. In fact, I've been toying with the only other way I know of to get that voltage out of that form factor: use 2 x CGR18650C lithium ion cells. These are unprotected 2.15Ah cells and are 65mm long. That is marginally longer than the 127mm of a stock pack but, of course, narrower. The Pila 168A would be too long I think. 2x67mm would put it 7mm overlong at 134mm.

Anyone want to be a guinea pig?

Wilkey

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea, I meant an Ultrastinger bulb, using the Ultrastinger upgarde head. You could use a Superstinger bulb, but I didn't see a lot of difference in terms of oputput (compared to a regular Stinger).

--dan

udaman

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
Aaron said:
I saw a post recently that talked about upgrading the bulb and batteries of the SL Stinger. Does anyone exactly what battery pack and bulb to use that works? I have seen on E-Bay a battery pack that runs at 3600 Mah. Would this be effective with [/b]a WA[/b] or Ultra-Stinger bulb?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
Aaron, it is helpful for discussion purposes if you supply a link to said battery. While IIRC, there is only one Ultra-Stinger bulb; there are a number of choices to choose from in the WA line, do you have a particular one in mind?

[ QUOTE ]
dano said:
Try a search...I don't have the exact threads off hand.

I'm the daddy of that, and I used 5 1/2-subC cells and an Ultrastinger bulb in a regular STinger body. Worked really well. Doesnt't work with a StingerXT, though...

--dan

[/ QUOTE ]

dano, can you be more specific about why it will not work with the Stinger XT(why tailcap impedes or prevents this?)

[ QUOTE ]
Ginseng said:
Right,
This mod goes way back to Dano's work. I recently built some 6V packs but they are relatively limited aside from the higher voltage. As Dano noted, they won't fit Stingers with a tactical tailcap switch. They also use 1.3Ah cells which will give you reduced runtimes, especially with higher powered bulbs. This last point is not so much a problem if you keep it on charger or use it sparingly.

There's just no way to get 3.6Ah into the Stinger stick and still pull 6V out. In fact, I've been toying with the only other way I know of to get that voltage out of that form factor: use 2 x CGR18650C lithium ion cells. These are unprotected 2.15Ah cells and are 65mm long. That is marginally longer than the 127mm of a stock pack but, of course, narrower. The Pila 168A would be too long I think. 2x67mm would put it 7mm overlong at 134mm.

Anyone want to be a guinea pig?

Wilkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I know Ginseng thinks out of the box, but there are other options for WA bulbs as he very well knows. Guinea pig? Well yeah, if I could just get some of the more unhelpful, know it alls, to provide details that are lacking in response to my Pila thread. Ummm, as I am sure most ppl know, Duracell 123 primaries are smaller in diameter than Energizer 123's. That some AA NiMH(older Maha) are smaller in diameter than higher capacity AA NiMH, which may or may not fit in a 4toD adapter, inside of the Mag D size tubes. The Stinger might be one that I could work on, but I had another host in mind for the Pila. Are all 18650, exactly the same size down to the millimeter? One bare 18650 could be protected by one Pila, would that work(charging considerations aside)?

With limited runtime, loose cells can be changed out for a new set…assuming you are wise enough to buy a backup set.

Aaron, due to the complexity involved with taking apart a donor Stinger battery pack, for the proprietary contact pieces, Ginseng is no longer making these higher capacity packs available for purchase. You could PM him about the process however, if you are so inclined to experiment with battery pack building.
Mag UMP/Stinger feeler thread w/dano's comments

PM darkzero for his comments on the Stinger, as he has Ginseng's battery pack.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
udaman,
I've found that the Sanyo2100 nimh AA fit quite well 4X in a D-body. Your idea about using a protected cell to protect a bare cell is original and I think has merit. The situation where this would work would be if the protected cell has a lower mAh capacity than the bare cell, thus it would reach the cut-off point first and always. Once it gets to the cut-off, it would break circuit and keep the bare cell from further discharging. An intriguing idea. So, a Pila 168A + CGR18650A (2000mAh) might work.

18650 cells are all "nominally" 18mm diameter by 65mm length. Of course taking the example of AA cells, minor variations 1-3% should be expected.

BTW, there are of course many bulb options. But when the list is limited by voltage, current, size and life, the list shrinks dramatically.

Wilkey

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6 volt STinger pack won't work in a StingerXT because the pack is a bit too long, and interferes with the tailcap switch. You could get it to work, but it's not reliable.

--dan

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two cells of 18650 wired parallel will fit in Stinger with PVC tube. This guy is really bright with Carely 1122 bulb and of course very short run time.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif But if you use the 2Ah or 2.15Ah cells, capacity will be greater than the stock stick. Stock bulb runtime will be superior. Should be.

Wilkey

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I'm very happy with my "Mini-Ultra" (Stinger HP with UltraStinger bulb and 6v stick). It is, in essence, a pint-size Ultrastinger. The only other similar size light with equivalent brightness is the Surefire C3 with SRTH turbohead and N2 bulb, which dims noticeably in a relatively short time. I get around 40 minutes of bright light. The plateau isn't flat but slopes gently to 40 minutes. Even at that point it is brighter than many/most lights and I've found that it is small enough, even with the 2 3/8" bezel, to carry in my left front pocket with reasonable comfort. I'm *very* enthusiastic about this light. Here's a relevant thread (also mentions 3.6v hicaps for Stinger/Polystinger):

''MINI - ULTRA''

Brightnorm

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am thinking about buying some 1300MAh 1/2 sub C's to try out in my Stinger XT using an Ultra head. That would be five of them, and without building them into a pack. I think it will work because I am successfully using three 3000mA sub C's in my Stinger XT. I do not screw the tail cap all the way down, and the push button switch works ok. The flashlight charge fuction does not work, and I charge them in my Vanson. At this point the light will not funcion if I screw the tailcap all the way down, and I am adddng O rings to provide a seal.

Bill