Inova XO in stock at Discoverystore

steve_vance

Enlightened
FYI: the first Inova XOs are now in stock at Discovery Channel stores. These are the first XOs to be shipped by Inova....according to my contact at Inova....also, there will not be any more XOs for awhile, as there are some production issues to be ironed out....they only have black (not my first choice).
Each store only received six pieces.
I'm picking up 2 tonight.

Go get 'em! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

sygyzy

Enlightened
Production problem as they cannot make enough or there is a problem with the build/quality?

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I'd run down to the Discovery store to get one but I don't like it in black.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
I just got one and I think its going back! While its somewhat brighter than the $17 Dorcy, its a much narrower angle. My everLED easily outperforms it. It may be a production fault. It's only drawing 0.09A or 0.54 W and no ripple from any type of switching regulator. Fit and finish all look very good!

EV # 4.0 ASA 100 @ 1 ft.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
gwbaltzell said:
My everLED easily outperforms it. It may be a production fault. It's only drawing 0.09A or 0.54 W

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried another battery in it?

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
I checked the battery, both cells were good. Went back, looked at some of the others. All about the same brightness. Got my money back.

Does this mean I have to return my union card? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

edit: The finish was a very nice satin black, not the slick black of a M*g. Beam was very narrow and no side spill. Just way dimmer than I think it should be. I would be very interested in the current drain anyone else gets.

steve_vance

Enlightened
well.....she wouldn't get specific, but it didn't sound like either.....more like maybe a problem with some of their equipment or (maybe?) a labor issue?
I didn't get the impression that it was a quality issue.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
Isn't someone else going to try these. If the brightness was there it would be a good light. If you have a 1 W already take it to the store to compare. Or take an ammeter (no that's how its spelled, I double checked) Uses two 3 V cells (123) in series so would have to draw at best nearly 0.161 A (161 mA) to feed 1 W input. Package is not welded at the top. Be careful not to get a fingerprint on the lens.

Calculation was 1 W / (2 * 3.1 V) =
typed into Google™
It's specs. say regulated so this is the minimum current it could possibly draw if the regulator was 100% efficient. 92% is likely the best we can hope for in the real world with a buck mode. (161 mA / 0.92 = 175 mA)
Measure on a high amperage scale to reduce the series resistance effect. Try to get 2 decimal places.

George

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
Went to the other Discovery Store (St. Louis is down to two) and checked the ones they had on display. All much brighter and whiter than the first one I purchased and returned. Rough measurement over twice as bright and current draw of 0.30 A (300 mA). Over 5 times the current draw. Not as low as I might of hoped but more what it should be. I don't think this one is going back!

EV reading was 5.67 instead of 4.0 - around three times as bright! (as lux this is about 127 vs 40)

BTW package says 32 lumen.

George

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
I just picked one up......

I got about 370mA while bypassing the switch with my Fluke 87.

Here's a quick comparison vs a PM6 LED.
Inova on the left - PM6 on the right

The beam of the X0 is a lot more "ringy" than I anticipated. It looks like it uses a real course type of fresnel lens.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
Based on the chart at Inova and my own measurements the hot spot angle appears to be about 12 degrees and the peripheral beam about 22 degrees. Assuming their chart was at 1 meter. Guessing the right hand chart is in candela?