This dude plucked his eye out & quoted the Bible

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.katc.com/Global/story.asp?S=1769045

[ QUOTE ]
SHERMAN, Texas (AP) -- A jailed man accused of killing and cutting out the hearts of his son, estranged wife and her daughter plucked out his own eye and then quoted from the Bible, officials said Tuesday.

Andre L. Thomas was in a county jail cell Friday night when he tore his eye out of its socket with his hands, said Grayson County Sheriff Keith Gary.

Thomas, 21, then quoted the verse Mark 9:47: "And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell."

Thomas was taken to a hospital and the eyeball was put on ice, but it could not be reattached. He is now being held in restraints at the jail, the sheriff said.

Thomas is accused in the March 26 stabbing deaths of his 4-year-old son, his 20-year-old estranged wife and her 1-year-old daughter. All the victims' hearts were cut out; two were found at Andre Thomas' house. He turned himself in and was charged with one count of capital murder.

A judge ruled Monday that Thomas will be evaluated by a mental health professional.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
cripes!!!!! Sherman is my home town! Glad I got out of there before the crazies moved in!

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fundamentalism and mental illness make a very bad combination. Besides the "eye" guy, we've recently had mothers drowning their children because they were "posessed", and bashing their brains out with large rocks, because they were convinced that they would be "resurrected". Truly sickening stuff.

Peter

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think about the last moments of these poor children's lives. What do you think they feel as they're being violently put to death at the hands of their own parents?

Crap like this makes me wonder about the existance of a just God. Children are innocent and should not be forced to suffer something so horrible that it defies words.

Peter

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately, there are some pretty unstable people that come in contact with the Bible. The verse in question, though, is just a figure of speech - although a rather poignant one. It's just a figurative way of describing the relative importance of ones physical eye (which will rot to the ground eventually anyway) versus someone's eternal life.

Negeltu

Enlightened
Re: This dude plucked his eye out & quoted the Bib

Well... that is an interpretation.. ya know.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator

The lady in Tyler that bashed her childrens heads in because she said GOD told her to it as an act of faith, was found not guilty by reason of insanity. Sounds like something out of the Old Testiment.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

even the parents were disturbed by it!

those poor kids!

that "show" was wrong on so many levels.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not only am I shamed for living in Texas now, but I've got the honor of saying that I know where the Glassport Assembly of God outside of Pittsburgh is since I grew up around there.

Good grief... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

-Jason