High-power LEDs (non-Luxeon)

idleprocess

Flashaholic
OK, so everyone knows almost eveyrthing about the various flavors of Luxeon... so what about the other high-power LEDs coming on the market?

I know the following companies have announced/sampled/released high-power (greater than typical 5mm / SMD products, anyway) LEDs:
<ul type="square">[*]Nichia (Jupiter?)
[*]Osram (Golden Dragon)
[*]Cree (X-Lamp)
[*]American Opto ("UFO")
[*]ISP (multi-die 8/10mm)
[*]...anything missing?
[/list]
Unless Lumileds has some new or substantial improvements to the Luxeon line, there's nothing new to discuss there.

Thanks!

LED-FX

Enlightened
Lamina are really jsut following in the shark(?) and spider format using a load of standard dice and a bigger heatsink.

All the others are new ways of making an LED....

Adam

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Any info/experience/links about these new high-power LEDs?

Nichia just put out a datasheet on their product (need an account with them to snag it). At least one flashlight has been produced that uses it.

I've glanced at the datasheets on OSRAM's Golden Dragon.

I know the UFO has been relatively well-documented, and I've read some first-hand reports.

Cree has yet to release the X-Lamp, last I checked.

Roithner Laserteknik makes/carries (was never sure if they're a manufacturer or a distributor) some high-power LEDs that look to be ~60 standard dice encapsulated in a TO-3 transistor housing. Perhaps this is the Lamina product.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
idleprocess said:
Nichia just put out a datasheet on their product (need an account with them to snag it). At least one flashlight has been produced that uses it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nichia has what they term as an SMD LED that needs 350mA; rated to 500mA maximum. The top of this page has that LED on it. And the flashlight made with that LED is right here for those interested.