What's the best knife for self-defense?

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
What\'s the best knife for self-defense?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I basically know nothing about knives and I am NOT looking to be a collector. I am however thinking about picking up some small edge weapon that I can EDC and deploy quickly if I'm attacked. Recently ran across a self defense forum and it got me thinking. A fixed blade would probably be best. If it were a folder I'd have to struggle with opening it, right? I want to be able to grab and stab. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I know there are a lot of knife experts here, so can you guys direct me toward some good options. I'm not looking to spend much more than $25-30. So no $200 pearl handle titanium carbon whatevers.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It won't hurt if it's nice looking, but again not much money to spend on this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

I've seen something called a CRKT Bear Claw online before. Would something like that be good? I like the look of it, but don't know how functional it would be. I can't tell if both side of that is sharpened or if only one side is. If it's only one side, It probably wouldn't be able to stab or slash, only hook.

I don't want anything too big and suggestions on how to carry it would be appreciated as well.

BTW, anybody know the laws for NYC? I know the blade is suppose to be shorter than 4", but I think there's something about it being automatic or gravity something.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

bryguy42

Newly Enlightened
Re: What\'s the best knife for self-defense?

I think O.J has a website where you can get some info... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s the best knife for self-defense?

A friend of mine who knows of these matters once told me, "If you want to stop somebody from what they're doing, slash 'em, if you want to kill 'em, stab 'em." He then followed with "If you stab somebody in the ribs, don't expect to get your knife back. Don't ask me how I know that." LOL

Greta

Flashaholic
Re: What\'s the best knife for self defense?

Ok... this thread has crossed over to an area that I feel is inappropriate for this forum. Please bring it around to self-defense... instead of self-offense. Yes, I know there's a fine line but you all know what I mean. Thanks for your cooperation.

Bo_Smith

Newly Enlightened

Considering that it's easier to get blood from a turnip than it is to get a carry permit in New York, I would suggest good training. I think Carl Cestari is in New York, or thereabouts. If I were back there, that's who I would probably train with.

I don't know the laws back in New York, but I try to avoid run-ins with the law. That said, a stout flashlight makes a great koppo stick, and useful for "blind and bash" techniques. I don't know personally, but have been told that the Inova is particulary nice in this respect (maybe a little weaker for "blinding", but definitely better for "bashing". How about a cane? I've carried a cane on airliners as well as in courthouses. No one bats an eye. For petite fixed blades I like the Emerson La Grife. The Shivworks Clinch Pick is also nice, though a little spendier.

Finally, don't forget to pack your mindset. All of the training and tools in the world won't help if you like to look as though you're looking for spare change as you walk down the street.

Hope this helps.

-Bo

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

Brains are your best weapon, then your legs to move you quickly out of harms way. I have never had to use a weapon in self defense ....... ever. Though most of my highschool buddies and I used to break into gas stations, set peoples cars on fire and shot at their homes if they threatened us, fighting on Friday and Saturday nights is what we lived for, most of them landed in jail, I fortunately did not. That was a little over 25 years ago.

I am not saying that you will be as fortunate as me in not needing a weapon to defend yourself. Be advised that the legal system will not be pinning any medals on your chest if you use a weapon, even in self defense.

In all likelihood, you will have a very large legal fee if you use a weapon, possibly fines and even jail time. A lawyer might say that you are pre-meditating doing someone harm by researching a knife which you want to inflict the most damage with ..... even if it is for self defense. Be further advised that knives are generally not covered by concealed carry laws, only handguns.

Choose your path and strategy carefully.

Mike

matt_j

Enlightened

Law in NYC is as follow: NYC is legally 4" - not palm - 4" to the handle/hilt - not edge length.

Any assisted opening knives are illegal. If you get in trouble anythign that opens and locks with flick of the wrist will be considered assisted opening. No gravity knives.

If you want the knife for self defense get something custom made like so not only it can be used as a tool or weapon but it is also nice conversation piece. You are more liekly let go or get away with stuff if you are seen as a collector than just another punk with cheap blade. But listen to Mike in the above thread.

Matt

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i agree with learn hoew to walk away or need be run away .and if ya must defend ya self use ya fist.maybe take a self defense course

matt_j

Enlightened

My oh my. I love jobs with stabbings. Especially the gang related when there are more holes than in 10 year old sock.

Matt EMT

Mark_van_Gorkom

Enlightened

The one time I felt I needed something more han my wits for self-defense, I carried a 2-foot steel dowel. IMHO a more effective weapon than a knife, and much less likely to cause permanent harm. (Nowadays, I'd carry my Hyperblaster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif) . I do EDC a knife (BM Ascent) but that's a tool, not a weapon.
And yes, some self-defense lessons would be time and money well spend.

Never bring a knife to a knife fight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Look like the meanest SOB on the street. That way you probably won't need a weapon.

I tend to have my head on a swivel. I ain't gonna let trouble get that close!

That said, I have been known to walk through parking lots palming a medium sized folder....

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast

For tactics go ask in a Self defense forum, A fast folder knife you ask?, I would suggest the Emmerson Commander with the Wave opening feature. That is one of the fastest to deploy knives I've seen, if not the fastest.

HTH
Alex

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

First off, let me thank the mods for unlocking this thread. My original title was intentionally sensationalized to draw attention. I want people to read this thread and reply with relevant information. I in NO WAY promote violence of any kind. I believe my unedited message sufficiently states that this is for defensive purposes IN CASE I AM ATTACKED. While I am the first to want to avoid conflict, the reality is that there can be (and have been) situations where you are not given the choice to run away. I started thinking about this stuff after stumbling onto a self defense forum and reading about methods for escaping from a choke hold (attacker sneaks up from behind). Basically it mentioned attempts at head butts, groin grabs and such, but it seemed to conclude that if the attacker had any skill, those attacks would not work. In the end it seemed to indicate that a weapon would have to be used to escape. That's how we got here.

I am not looking to 'stab' anyone. I used "grab and stab" to illustrate how quick the action should be. "Grab and stab" as opposed to 'locate the weapon, draw the weapon, orient the weapon, unlock the weapon, unfold the weapon then in the middle of passing out, try to free yourself....' That should be pretty clear to anyone who isn't looking to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Some people are always looking to make trouble. Sheesh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Bo, training would probably be more than I am looking for right now. Again, this is as a last resort. I don't anticipate getting in a fight. However having some basic understanding of how to defend myself would not be a bad idea. I may look into it in the future. I'm pretty aware of my surroundings. I understand the first rule to win a fight, is not to get into one.

Can anyone tell me how effective an Inova X5T would be as a defensive weapon? Anyone? Seriously. What are some possible alternatives?

Mike. I never vandalized anything in my life and I have no intention to. But I may need a weapon to defend myself from people like you of 25 years ago. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Hopefully I'll never have to face such a situation, but if it comes down to my life or dealing with legalities, I'll pick survival and deal with the legal process afterward. BTW, this is part of why I'm asking about the laws. I don't want to violate anything. I also don't want the weapon that would do the "most damage". I want something that would simply make the would be mugger/murderer/rapist say "this isn't worth it, let's find another target."

Matt, could you expound upon "NYC is legally 4" - not palm - 4" to the handle/hilt - not edge length". What does 'not palm' mean? How does 4" 'to the handle hilt' differ from blade edge?

I agree Raggie33, but again, you're not always given the choice. A self defense class could be an option. Don't they typically tell you to use things like combs and lollipops as weapons. What wrong with asking for info on something that could be more effective?

Mark I hear your suggestion on carrying a blunt weapon, but do you always have that in hand? You says 'when you feel you need something more....' Well the point is this is for when I DON'T expect to need anything, but due to some idiot crook, I do. Isn't simply showing a knife a BIG deterrent to crooks? THEY ALSO know knives are likely to cause permanent damage. Once I slash that arm and he lets go, maybe he'll run away and the conflict can end right there.

Playboy, I do my best, but I'm a smallish guy. I'm not sure crooks would by it. I also prefer not to have a scowl on my face everywhere I go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

Samoan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Sinjz said:
Bo, training would probably be more than I am looking for right now. Again, this is as a last resort. I don't anticipate getting in a fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little troubled right here. Training is the FIRST step. You pull a knife, any knife, in a trouble situation and the one getting hurt will be you if you don't have a clue what you're doing.

You've used the choke hold example. If someone manages to get the drop on you in a situation such that they were able to get you into a choke hold consider yourself screwed. If you don't use the knife correctly on the FIRST strike that choke hold could turn into a snapped neck. Remember, this is by your own definition someone who has already decided that your well-being is not high on his list.

I've had nitwits pull knives on me at shows. I've had some training and have, thankfully, never been cut. These wizards are the ones that end up in choke holds and arm bars...It's amazing how their attitudes adjust when they hear their knife clicking along the floor and find themselves up against a wall. Keep in mind that I'm not some martial arts master. I'm just a big (6'3", 290) slow guy who knows what to do, even when knowing what to do is as simple as swinging a remote mic at their hand or head.

Learn the basics of self defense, then move on to the specialized training of particular weapon types.

-F

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

i really like the idea of the curved blade design like on this blade and this blade.. both are fully capable of stabbing, trust me. (doh!)

for fixed blades you can wear with a sheath, my favorite is this blade which i'm planning on picking up very soon.. it is a super-strong knife with an absolutely amazing grip.. good to hold onto if you have to draw it quickly from its sheath to defend yourself.

i also agree that you should get some degree of training in using the knife.. wether it be first-hand or ordering a tape from the internet.. it'll make your knife tons more effective.

players don't get drafted/signed until everyone's seen them play. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif