Rev2 Arc4+ will be 10% brighter! (33 lumens)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc4+ is now 10% brighter than before! Everyone who has a back order for an Arc4+ will get the new 33 lumen units.

I confirmed a hunch today that our Arc4 efficiency has improved with the second revision. I tested 15 units today and was able to calibrate 100% of them 10% brighter than our previous setting. As a result, I have raised our standards for the Arc4+ from 165k to 182k. This keeps all the units below the 1.25amp @3volt test.

I will test these in the integrating sphere and should get over 35 lumens in most cases. I will advertise them at 33 lumens to give ourselves a safe margin. Even at 30 lumens the Arc4+ was brighter than any other published lumen rating for a single 123 flashlight.

All Rev2 Arc4+ units will be rated at the brighter 33 lumens. If you have a back order with us for an Arc4+, it will be filled with the brighter Rev2.

We are still taking back orders on the new Rev2 for the time being. Supply is limited of course. If you know Arc, you already know about our limited supply by now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I expect that the new rating for the Arc4+ will become the standard for awhile because these gains were achieved by refining our initial manufacturing.

Please check the back order thread for more details about how and when the orders will be filled.

Thanks!

Peter Gransee

javafool

Enlightened
I knew there was one more reason I waited to order my Arc4+P other than that I have a LSL-P, LSH-P and LSHF-P keeping me company.

Thanks Peter!

chiaroscuro

Enlightened
Re: Rev2 Arc4+ will be 10% brighter! (35+ lumens)

Just to understand better--was the 10% increase in output achieved by more than improved software? Are there physical differences in the inner workings
of the Rev2 lights as well ?
I guess the answer I'd like to hear(but don't expect) is that the latest software revision would boost my version1 4+ to Rev2 levels.

jtice

Flashaholic
Oh,,, great... THERES the excuse to buy a second Arc4+. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoooo Ha! Keep Crankin Peter! Brighter!

Now: when do you expect the REV2 to start shipping? I've got one on order, I think, fairly close to the top...

EDIT: Please check the back order thread for more details about how and when the orders will be filled.

Hmmm... What back order thread? I must be blind...

Brian

zumlin

Enlightened
Re: Rev2 Arc4+ will be 10% brighter! (35+ lumens)

[ QUOTE ]
chiaroscuro said:
I guess the answer I'd like to hear(but don't expect) is that the latest software revision would boost my version1 4+ to Rev2 levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Second that

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
The Arc4+ is now 10% brighter than before! Everyone who has a back order for an Arc4+ will get the new 33 lumen units.

I confirmed a hunch today that our Arc4 efficiency has improved with the second revision. I tested 15 units today and was able to calibrate 100% of them 10% brighter than our previous setting. As a result, I have raised our standards for the Arc4+ from 165k to 182k. This keeps all the units below the 1.25amp @3volt test.

I will test these in the integrating sphere and should get over 35 lumens in most cases. I will advertise them at 33 lumens to give ourselves a safe margin. Even at 30 lumens the Arc4+ was brighter than any other published lumen rating for a single 123 flashlight.

All Rev2 Arc4+ units will be rated at the brighter 33 lumens. If you have a back order with us for an Arc4+, it will be filled with the brighter Rev2.

We are still taking back orders on the new Rev2 for the time being. Supply is limited of course. If you know Arc, you already know about our limited supply by now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I expect that the new rating for the Arc4+ will become the standard for awhile because these gains were achieved by refining our initial manufacturing.

Please check the back order thread for more details about how and when the orders will be filled.

Thanks!

Peter Gransee

[/ QUOTE ]
Am I interpreting this correctly?? To meet the ARC4+ criteria, Level 1 power consumption at 3V must not exceed 3.0V X 1.25A = 3.75W. Output is 35 lm minimum. Minimum efficiency is thus 35lm/3.75W = 9.3lm/W. This seems to be distressingly low.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the efficiency is low at level 1 and I really do sympathize. Here's your choices:

1. Make the light bigger so we can fit in larger components that are more efficient on the full power setting
2. Remove level 1 from your list of choices (bad level one!)
3. Use the light as I intended when I designed it (Primary at a level similar to the LSH-P)

I would love to provide you exactly what you want. However, I must adhere to my design philosophies. No offense. Btw, the Arc4+ has a revolutionary power supply. For a given output, input and size constraint it is simply unmatched. We know this supply is hot and have applied for a patent on the circuit design. If you have a more efficient supply that can deliver this power and these features and fit in this small package, let me know. Thanks!

Of course, it's not for everyone!

Peter

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
For a given output, input and size constraint it is simply unmatched. We know this supply is hot and have applied for a patent on the circuit design. If you have a more efficient supply that can deliver this power and these features and fit in this small package, let me know. Thanks!

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like an interesting challenge. No need to tell me the specifics of your design. I would need to know the footprint and volume that you have designed to and also the efficiencies of the current circuit at the Vin, Pin, Vout, Pout values of interest. If you do not wish to post to forum, feel free to use PM or email.

paulr

Flashaholic
Peter, I agree that level 1 isn't the ideal primary but I have it set that way because that's the only way to get easy access to it (don't you also use level 1 primary, level 7 secondary?). The momentary "boost mode" is too much of a nuisance. I really wish the boost mode was constant-on, like the triple-click "dim mode". I also wish the dim mode was dimmer, but that's another issue.

The 33 lumen rating is great, that is very impressive. I did some tests a while back and my Arc4+ factory second is almost as bright as my 2x123 UKE 2L which has been my favorite semi-EDC light for probably about 10 years. (The UKE has a longer range, narrower beam though). So the rev2 Arc4+ may even beat the UKE in overall output.

Doug S, I think the 9.3 lm/W figure may not be that bad. The efficiency of a raw non-stupendous Luxeon die is on the order of what, 20 lm/W? You lose quite a lot of light in the flashlight (Luxeon package, reflector, lens, etc.) and some more in the power supply. Having half of it left at the top, least efficient setting of the flashlight is respectable.

cy

Flashaholic
Peter,

since the Rev2 Arc4+ is outputting close to 35 lumens. How does this compare to Arc4X Rev1? Will the rev2 Arc4X be brighter still?

Thanks,
CY

southpaw

Newly Enlightened
That's nice and all (10% brighter) but is that a difference anyone would/could notice without instruments? Even in the ARC FAQ (yes Peter I do read it) it's stated, "Please note that the human eye has trouble seeing differences in brightness of 50%". I suppose it's just a nice thing to have since you are paying the same anyway. Just a thought.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug S: Thanks for the offer to help. To qualify for Arc contract work you must know how to craft multi-mode switching power supplies in 8051 assembler. "Chip Kiddies" need not apply. Thanks.

Photonboy: Like I said, efficiency has improved. We noticed this in the last production run of Rev1's. Power consumption was dropping lower and lower. This is probably a result of several factors. So what I did was to return power consumption to about the same point by dialing the brightness up. If you send your rev1 in for programing (1 free with the 4+s) I might be able to dial it up, or I may not be able to.

Since the Arc4 is a multi-brightness level instrument, setting the top level at an inefficient but bright level is only a plus. This is because the efficiency of the level you normally use for most work (say level 5 or 7) has always been pretty efficient (more efficient than our LSH series). I am repeating this because this is a new concept and several people have said they don't understand this. In a conventional flashlight, boosting the brightness at the expense of run time is a win/loose situation. You win brightness but you loose run time. In the Arc4, boosting the brightness (especially when enabled by greater efficiency) is a win/win situation. You get more brightness without loosing your ability to run the battery for hours and hours. For people who have been using their Arc4s the way we recommend (with primary set at a medium level), this change will mean that their primary has become slightly brighter without changing efficiency (compared to our first production units) and their long range level 1 has more reach.

Paulr: I hear you on a latching full power. I have read your other posts talking about it too. I am not convinced of the utility. Full power is more usefull when it is momentary. Odd as this may sound, I see having a full power mode as a way to save the battery. People who use the Arc4 the way we recommend get more light using less battery. Its kind of a riddle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The only reason the light comes set for Primary from the factory is to show people right away what its capabilities are. This is especially important when trying the light out in a store and you only have a minute or two to make a good impression.

A big reason to have full power set for momentary is the way the eye works. And how we exploit this is another thing that seperates us from our simpler, "multi-level" competitors. The eye adjusts to whatever level you use by adjusting the pupil. This takes from seconds to minutes depending on the degree of change. Using too dim of a light can take too long to adjust to or you may be outside of the usefull range of your eye and you get loss of details, colors, etc. Most flashlight use occurs at a near to medium range but you must have the ability to see at a distance when needed. Using a good medium level beam allows the eye to quickly adjust and still be within it's optimal color/detail renduring range. As a result, you only use the full power mode to extend range, not improve the current scene you are viewing. Since your eyes are happily adjusted to the medium level, full power takes advantage of your eye's increased sensitivity to get even more detail from the distant scene. But if you where using full power for the nearby work and then also used it for the distant scene, the increase in range and perception would be minimized because your eye has adjusted to the higher light level by reducing the pupil size. In this mode, a large precentage of the extra light that your batteries dump out is just simply wasted.

I hope I explained that well.

CY: I haven't made any Xs for a while. But when I get them, I check them over pretty good. Right now I set them for 46+ lumens. The Xs are not brightness calibrated, I try to get the most out of them without exceeding 1.25 amps at 3 volts. Even so, all the X's I have made so far are within a few lumens of each other in brightness. I assume the same factors that are making the +s more efficient will do the same for the Xs and the Xs will get 10% brighter as well. I will have to wait an see on that one.

Peter

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
southpaw said:
That's nice and all (10% brighter) but is that a difference anyone would/could notice without instruments? Even in the ARC FAQ (yes Peter I do read it) it's stated, "Please note that the human eye has trouble seeing differences in brightness of 50%". I suppose it's just a nice thing to have since you are paying the same anyway. Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

Installing a UCL lens results in an aprox. 12% output increase. You can plainly see the difference, but not where you think.

The most dramatic difference is in the lower levels. Level 16 is much brighter (2x), don't really know why the eyes perceive it that way.

Anyone know why?

JollyRoger

Enlightened
hmm...could be b/c it's easier for you to tell the relative change much easier at the low levels...similar to how if you compare a car going 5 miles/hour vs a 10miles/hour...you can notice that difference a lot....vs a car going 1000mph vs 2000mph..... now they both seem fast!

That's great news, Peter. We always like more efficiency! Heck, I though my 4X was already more efficient with the UCL (ARC coating, etc.). It's nice....

I'll send it to you so you can check it out.

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm.. Purchase a REV2 ARC4 add 10%. Install a UCL add 12%. Total 22%.

Hmmmm...

Brian

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:

Photonboy: Like I said, efficiency has improved. We noticed this in the last production run of Rev1's. Power consumption was dropping lower and lower. This is probably a result of several factors. So what I did was to return power consumption to about the same point by dialing the brightness up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter,

Does this mean level 16 will be brighter on a Rev2 as well? I've heard some comment that level 16 was too bright for some uses, and that was on a Rev1. I'm all for an increase in brightness at level one, but I'd like to see as much dynamic range as possible too. If the trend of increased efficiency continues, maybe it would be a good idea to increase the separation between levels, so we can have a brighter level one and a dimmer level 16.

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BMStrong said:
Hmmmm.. Purchase a REV2 ARC4 add 10%. Install a UCL add 12%. Total 22%.

Hmmmm...

Brian

[/ QUOTE ]
We all think alike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.