Lithium powered lights with bright flood beams?

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
In my on-going quest for a stick-in-the-drawer-and-forget, long burn-time LED, it seems lithium power is better suited. The Inova X5 was mentioned as an option. Are there other good options out there I should consider, as well, that meet the above characteristics (bright, long burn time, flood)?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kitchener, don't limit yourself to lights powered by 123 cells. Energizer L91 1.5V lithium AA cells have the same 10+ year (their engineering data sheet says 15 years) shelf life as 3V lithium 123 cells. So, any light that takes AA's and have 5mm leds would be a good candidate; there are many. My personal choice in this category is the Nuwai 10led AT-100; you can check it out at goldengadgets.com. A really nice light and largely unheralded on CPF. Once you realize you can go with L91's, you can now focus on what characteristics and features you would want from your light.

Note, there are a few lights that won't like the L91's extra current, notably the Streamlight 4AA/7led. A quick check with the maker or seller will usually prevent any issues.

Having said all the above, the X5T still is a nice light. If it's the one you like best, go for it.

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
Re: Lithium powered lights with bright flood beams

[ QUOTE ]
Kitchener said:
In my on-going quest for a stick-in-the-drawer-and-forget, long burn-time LED, it seems lithium power is better suited. The Inova X5 was mentioned as an option. Are there other good options out there I should consider, as well, that meet the above characteristics (bright, long burn time, flood)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had mentioned the X5 in your previous thread as something that might fit your criteria. Phaserburn is right that the Energizer L91 1.5V lithium AA cells are functionally equivalent to the CR123's used in the X5 and a light based on them should work fine. Your previous criteria had a price limit of "neighborhood of $25-$35" which the X5 would meet. Have you changed this? There are some excellent lights out there if you want to spend more money. For example, take a look at the EternaLight EliteMax

This is a great emergency light with the added advantages of being dimmable and regulated . Being dimmable means you would be able to trade off run time with brightness--this light will go hundreds of hours on its lower brightness settings, but can also be very bright in its "overdrive" mode if need be. Regulated means that the light can use almost any type of battery successfully--alkaline, lithium, rechargable, heavy duty, etc.--with no performance hits. This particular light is the "top of the line" Eternalight and was recently on sale for about $60. There are also less expensive EternaLight models available with fewer features. I have an EternaLight Ergo with lithium batteries installed in each of my cars for emergency purposes. I also own the EliteMax which I use indoors (as well as the X5, etc., and on and on...do I need help, is there a cure?)

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Lithium powered lights with bright flood beams

A good, regulated flood that is dependable and inexpensive is a minimag with an Opalec Newbeam module replacing the bulb. It's as simple as changing the bulb to install, and it will run on 2 AA lithium cells. It will keep constant brightness for 10+ hours. It is only 3 leds, so it isn't blinding, but it's totally useful as what you want it for; drop it in a drawer and forget it.