Arc 2nd vs Arc LSH-S vs Arc LSH-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that I have all three models, I can compare them.

The Second has excellent finish and no signs of exterior damage. There is some flaking inside the lens, but it doesn't affect function. The beam is tinted yellow, but not so much tinted that it looks bad. This second is a standard LSH.

My LSH-S (First) has a moderately pink tinted beam and is a little brighter than the second, but not by much. The anodizing seems a little thinner on the first. I actually have 2 (first) standards, but they are so close in performance (both are tinted pink) that one of the two is a good representation for my simple comparison.

My LSH-P (first) has slight pink tint in the beam, and the finish is the best of the three (even though it does have the tiger stripes). However....it doesn't appear to be ANY brighter than the other two. The better tint makes up for the disapointing brightness (I figured the LSH-P spec 22 lumens would look brighter than the spec LSH-S 17 lumens--but when I compare mine side by side it doesn't).

All three I like, I'm just trying to decide if the LSH-P is worth the extra $50 (over the standard), when the Arc-4 beats out the LSH-P by a big margin at only $30 extra dollars.

What are your observations and thoughts?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and Arc shipped the lights in a box with styrofoam popcorn this time. No flimsy Fedex envelops!

Canuckle

Newly Enlightened

Aside from sheer brightness (max output), look at the other features the 4+ has. The dimmest light it can produce should also be a consideration, as there might be a scenario where adjusting the output to this level to prolong battery life, might just be what you need. Then there are the other features like SOS, locator (beacon), which you may, or may not, find useful.
The use of a reflector, instead of an optic, will also change beam characteristics, and is something of an improvement over an optic.

Enjoy your LS lights for now, and go for the 4+ when rev 3 comes out with the switchguard and, possible, more refined electronics.

That's probably what I'll be doing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Noxiousbt

Newly Enlightened

Have standard and premium models of the LSH as well. In my initial observations, I didn't notice much difference at all between the two, when shining on wall and such. Not until I went outside on a dark night, did I really see the difference. The premium just gets out there a lot farther. The difference in throw was overwelmingly apparent. As for my Arc4+, it was shipped to me originally as a first, but because of a minor ding in the bezel during transport, I was able to purchase as second. The beam is amazing. Much brighter than my bros' second, and totally tintless. It is the whitest light I have ever seen without question, and blindingly bright! The only HA issue was the LSH-S TSP was darker, and knurling did not match.
Hope this helps.

Brandon

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Canuckle said:

Aside from sheer brightness (max output), look at the other features the 4+ has. The dimmest light it can produce should also be a consideration, as there might be a scenario where adjusting the output to this level to prolong battery life, might just be what you need. Then there are the other features like SOS, locator (beacon), which you may, or may not, find useful.
The use of a reflector, instead of an optic, will also change beam characteristics, and is something of an improvement over an optic.

Enjoy your LS lights for now, and go for the 4+ when rev 3 comes out with the switchguard and, possible, more refined electronics.

That's probably what I'll be doing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually have some Rev 1 Arc-4s and love them. I might eventually get a Rev 2 and Rev 3 when they come out.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Noxiousbt said:

Have standard and premium models of the LSH as well. In my initial observations, I didn't notice much difference at all between the two, when shining on wall and such. Not until I went outside on a dark night, did I really see the difference. The premium just gets out there a lot farther. The difference in throw was overwelmingly apparent. As for my Arc4+, it was shipped to me originally as a first, but because of a minor ding in the bezel during transport, I was able to purchase as second. The beam is amazing. Much brighter than my bros' second, and totally tintless. It is the whitest light I have ever seen without question, and blindingly bright! The only HA issue was the LSH-S TSP was darker, and knurling did not match.
Hope this helps.

Brandon

[/ QUOTE ]

What amazes me is how my LSH-S Second is classified as a second. I mean its BRIGHT, and has perfect anodization and the tint is only a little off (yellow). I've got to say that I think that I was lucky to get a second this nice.

Perhaps it has some other flaw I can't see, such as uses battery up quicker?

spoggles

Newly Enlightened
uses up battery quicker = brighter...bonus :p

now just get a twisty with the hi/low mod...and you have the most powerfull light for its size with 2 brightness levels and really see those batteries last forever, unless you mostly use hi beam

Status
Not open for further replies.