What's with advertisers hating cats?

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
What\'s with advertisers hating cats?

First Nokia got slammed for an ad depicting a cat getting caught on a ceiling fan.

nokia.jpg

And now Ford has a cat being decapitated by a sunroof.
<font color="red">(graphic link warning)</font>

ford.jpg

Both companies have claimed that the ads were unauthorized but still.........
doesn't anybody hate doggies and bunnies?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Negeltu

Enlightened
Re: What\'s with advertisers hating cats?

That is awful! Sickens me...

Advertising with negative elements doesn't make sense. Our brains tend to run from negative uncomfortable situations and ideas. The memory is an example. It has been shown that good positive things are remembered more easily than negative bad things.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
What\'s with advertisers hating cats?

i must admit i dislike cats but i certainly dont want harm to come to them

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast

That second link is sad!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

that was awful....I am going to tell them no Fords for me. I have 6 cats and 4 dogs....used to be 8 cats.

14C

Enlightened

I love cats...after they die thay make great oven mits......

Negeltu

Enlightened

I don't find that funny at all. In my world...any person who treated animals with cruelty would be terminated...

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i as said above dont like cats but i dont wwant no harm to come to them .ill even feed em but im glad they aint my cats. there just not my pet of choice.

javafool

Enlightened

A woman moved in next door to us two years ago and she brought her 4 cats with her. We have a lot of landscaping and mulch in our front yard and take a lot of pride in our home.

Within a month after she moved in I noticed that when I went out in the morning to get my paper there was a strong smell of cat urine. I also noticed that she let her cats run freely and they were using the landscaping in front of our home as one very large kitty litter box.

I tried several times to speak intelligently to her about the problem to no avail. Now, two years later if I open our front windows to let in the beautiful spring air the house fills with the aroma of cat ****. Animal control has been there at least ten times with warnings. I have humanely trapped her cats one at a time seven times now and had them removed by Animal Control. Try this and you will soon discover how much fun it is not and how careful you must be to protect the animal's rights or you will be in jail. After taking the sting out of the county leash law, she pays $25 to get the cat back, brings it home, and turns it loose and wiggles her not-so-attractive rear end in our direction and snickers. Last spring her cats destroyed two birds nests with chicks from bushes in our front yard but that seems quite acceptable to her also.

I am very aware that this situation is the owners fault and not the cats. Unfortunately after smelling cat urine and feces for the past two years and being virtually helpless to legally resolve the problem, I got a very big chuckle when I saw the video clip. If that was the lady next door in the sun roof, it would be much more appropriate.

I would appreciate any suggestins for effective cat deterrants that don't cost an arm and a leg and do not have to be reapplied after 48 hours or each rainfall. This weekend I plan to buy 10-15 bags of eucalyptus chips for mulch because I read they are a fairly effective cat deturrant.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
I would appreciate any suggestins for effective cat deterrants that don't cost an arm and a leg and do not have to be reapplied after 48 hours or each rainfall. This weekend I plan to buy 10-15 bags of eucalyptus chips for mulch because I read they are a fairly effective cat deturrant.

[/ QUOTE ]

a dog? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Negeltu

Enlightened

Anyone who gets a chuckle from that video needs to have their head and childhood examined for trauma. You should respect the innocent of this world....there's very little of it among us humans... It's not the cats fault.. you were right in saying that... We are the ones that domesticated them... Destroyed the world that they once lived in.. populated it with highways...houses sewage plants...cars...trains...airplanes...factories......and we screw it up even more with pcb's... dioxins... mercury contamination... I think we should be more serious about human population control. We are a disease on this planet..that keeps spreading..and spreading and spreading.. NO OTHER ANIMAL IS DESTROYING THE PLANET... and if you can show me an example of it.. I will show you how man had a hand in it.

People should have their cats fixed. And keep them from running loose. It just fuels the feral cat problem...which destroys bird populations.

Another human screw up

raggie33

*the raggedier*

ill feed some cats today. but Negeltu i wont pet them . lol

javafool

Enlightened

Say what you may but I am the one that is humanely trapping, caring for the animals until they are picked up by Animal Control, and trying every legal avenue I know to resolve this problem. And after two years of having the birds nests raided, the front of my house trashed with cat urine and cat feces my attitude and sense of humor is becoming warped. When the laws intended to protect people from these types situations are watered down to the point where they only protect the offenders, the result is the wrong people are punished in the long run.

This is Florida. We have raccoons, spiders, bugs, disease that are never killed off by a frost or freeze. Almost everyone in the neighborhood applies fertilizers, insecticides, fungicides, and herbicides to their lawns. When cats are allowed to run loose, they eventually wind up being exposed to, and ingesting a lot of nasty crap when the evening dew activates these chemicals. The owners are, in all reality, more than negligent. They are performing an act of animal cruelty to their pets as well as other wildlife in the area by allowing their pets to run loose. But they are the ones who ultimately receive protection by the laws.

I may need to have my head examined, in your opinion. But I am much kinder to the pets that live next door by trying to resolve the problem than their owners are by allowing them to roam free. That is my opinion as well as my last post on this subject.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I understand that placing chicken wire (or some other screen type material) just below the surface of the dirt will stop cats. They don't like catching their claws as they scratch up the dirt.

-Bill

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

the first one I've seen on at least one of those "stupid people catching stupid things on video and instead of helping out just laughing and getting it all on video" shows. I don't think it was on purpose, but thats debatable, I do think it's real however.

The second one I don't think would ever be made by a real company. They go out of their way not to offend anybody in their commercials and that one is just awful. Even knowing that it cannot be real, it's still sick and tasteless. (if it was real the perps would find out that there is jail time for doing things like that to animals)

So it's somebody else's idea of a sick joke. Thats all.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

as a cat person, i have no comment on the videos..

but Java, i'd think it'd be quite easy to have a judge rule something be done with the cats.. or order them to fence in their yard..

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Negeltu said:
Anyone who gets a chuckle from that video needs to have their head and childhood examined for trauma....

...People should have their cats fixed. And keep them from running loose. It just fuels the feral cat problem...which destroys bird populations.

Another human screw up

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree with you more. We are the ones that are trashing the planet, pouring poisons into the environment and trampling on the rights of other living creatures with our blind arrogance and self-absorbed displays of conspicuous consumption.

And don't even ask me what should be done with that idiot in Ford's marketing team who thought that a decapitated cat would be funny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh, another thing to try are sprinklers that have motion control sensors... Aim them where the cats like to do their deeds. You may wish to look for ones with total time limits or purchase a $10.00 water volume timer to limit an accidental activation that washes away your landscaping.

-Bill

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

I didn't think it needed saying but both ads were professionally produced and no actual animals were harmed.

The Ford ad was never aired -- only leaked (some say by Ford themselves in the spirit of 'any press is good press... as long you spell the name right.')

The Nokia ad was never aired by Nokia but many claim to have seen it on various 'Funniest Commercials' type shows.

Here is Nokia's official statement.
Nokia is aware of the video material portraying a cat and a Nokia mobile phone, which is being distributed on the Internet. The footage has not been used in our advertising and it is not an official Nokia advertisement.

The offending footage had been proposed to Nokia by an external party but we had categorically rejected it as it neither complies with the ethical standards of the company nor reflects the policies and principles of our advertising.

While the external creators who have created the material have assured us that trick photography was used and no animal was harmed, this does not detract from the distasteful nature of the content. In any event, we deeply regret the discomfort and concern that the circulation of this material may have caused.

Following investigations on the matter, Nokia's external advertising agency has apologised for the oversight made by their subcontractors and for the embarrassment that this may have caused.

"They have also assured us that they will take all necessary action to ensure that circulation of the video material is stopped and that all further production and material created for Nokia will adhere strictly to Nokia´s ethical standards and advertising policies", said Kari Tuutti, Vice President, Communications, Nokia Mobile Phones.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nitro loves little kitties. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif