is this. for.. real..? the soldier and the sign?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://electroniciraq.net/news/1444.shtml

[ QUOTE ]
2 April 2004 -- The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) today called for a Pentagon investigation of a photograph circulating on the Internet that apparently shows an American soldier mocking an Iraqi child.

The photo sent to CAIR seems to be of an American soldier standing next to two Iraqi children who are giving the thumbs-up sign. One child holds a hand-lettered sign in English that reads: "Lcpl Boudreaux killed my Dad, th(en) he knocked up my sister!" ("Knocked up" is American slang for making someone pregnant out of wedlock.)

See: http://www.cair-net.org/images/lcpl11.jpg for larger image.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't even begin to describe how i feel if this is a legit' article/event..

14C

Enlightened
Character..like intelligence, is probably on a bell curve. Some of the GIs are no doubt morons or worse. That said, I'm willing to bet the character, selfessness and integrity of most of our GIs against anyone anywhere in the world. Hopefully this is not a low-end example on the curve and it was just a young someone with very bad judgement who will learn and live to regret it and be better in the future.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I laughed. I have a dark sense of humor.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
exactly.

i hope he gets punished and gets made an example for any other smartasses in our country's armed forces.

(if it's the real deal)

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a feeling that that soldier is trying to make a good point, but took it a little too far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I doubt the kids know what the sign says.

14C

Enlightened
Illiminatingbikr: Agreed

Blinded: I hope they straighten him out without ruining him....ya know?

nightshade

Enlightened
They are there, as with any group,American or otherwise.The good,the bad,the ugly,and the clueless.I was fortunate,with only four years of service,98% of the thumpers I served with, I would have followed into any abyss.

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he is accomplishing exactly what he wanted to. He made a thought provoking picture, that is supposedly circulating the web. It makes you think. It might make you anti-war because of it. It's very simple politics. Not good politics, but it gets a very clear point accross.......IMO.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
looks like that picture could have been taken just about anywhere.

i wouldn't be surprised if it was taken at a gas station in arizona...

gadgetboy

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Rothrandir. I didn't blow up the picture but I see no name, no rank and that "soldier" is wearing almost no gear and what he has on is mismatched. He also looks like it is possible he is an arab himself.

EDIT: sorry "Marine"

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
In this picture it is obvious that this was from a Arab site/channel.

Blinded,
I think the point might be about the media, and how you can make things look like whatever you want them to. The two boys have their thumbs up, yet if they read the sign, there would be no reason for them to have their thumbs up.

Somebody might be making the point of how brutal the war is, and maybe that we got a little carried away with the whole WMD thing.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Frame57

Newly Enlightened
This man is definitely NOT a Marine. Marines wear MARPAT (Marine Pattern Camoflauge) not three color desert, and their Interceptor Vests are brown not woodland camoflauge. This man is definitely a Soldier and a stupid one at that!

gadgetboy

Newly Enlightened
Well he's not a US soldier bud because we don't have lance corporals in the US Army. The point was he's probably an IRAQI. That's why I was slick and put the "SOLDIER" and "MARINE" in quotes -- get it?

As for the woodland vest with the desert BDU's, there was an article in the Army Times recently that said some soldiers are wearing them because of shortages in vests. It is always possible that this person is an American Soldier. We certainly can't tell by the unit patch on his shoulder though. (more subtle sarcasm there) Either way he's a punk.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: is this. for.. real..? the soldier and the sig

What is he doing with both Woodland Camo and Desert Camo, no gear, and no rank or unit insignia????????

Sorry, but this pic stinks to Thou knowest where (either direction will do).

It looks like deliberate Disinformation to me, specifically to inflame Islam.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

it looks pretty real to me.

there's no solid evidence that can prove it isn't real..

needless to say, i'm pretty mad about this.. i can't help it 'cause i just can't believe it's a fake. i can't see anything fake about it.

it's wrong on so many levels!

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
It looks like deliberate Disinformation to me, specifically to inflame Islam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like it's working.

[ QUOTE ]
BlindedByTheLite said:
it looks pretty real to me.

there's no solid evidence that can prove it isn't real..

needless to say, i'm pretty mad about this.. i can't help it 'cause i just can't believe it's a fake. i can't see anything fake about it.

it's wrong on so many levels!

[/ QUOTE ]

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

okay, so what's the solid evidence you have that it's a fake, Nitro?
if you're gonna be a smartass @ least do it in a convincing way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif