Shops in the UK to check out

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be in the UK for about ten days. Half the time in Liverpool and then driving east of London. Any places to check out for things that might not be over here in my neck of the woods?

Aten_Imago

Banned
Pellidon
I'll be in Londres in June- I definitely want some of those tritium key fobs they have in the UK so please do let me know when you get a reply to your question. Merci

zerge

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

BCB in Cardiff (bcbin.com) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, or Silverman's in London (military.co.uk). And there are many others I can not name now. They are quite expensive (means very), but when time is limited, they are good sources.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Guys,
This is interesting.

The wife and I are taking part of our vacation in the UK this July.

We are thinking of

Portmirion in Wales. Mostly as an up scale resort to get reaquainted with each other and civilized life.

I also want to see a world class WWII aircraft museum.

If the base my father flew B17's out of "Colchester", mostly if part of it was preserved as it was in 1944.

Want to leave some flowers on my favorite SF authors grave. James Blish is buried in the Oxford area.

With the war heating up, I don't know what the plans hold.

Hope all is well
Jack Crow in Iraq

Phil_B

Enlightened
Aten,for your key fob try "penrith survival".they are on the net.Aircraft museum,try Duxford on the M11 motorway,an easy find.
For shopping,try a place called "America",unless you like stinky cheese and blood pudding.
You guys get all the breaks on prices... :-(
On the plus side,you get fed up of tripping over the history here :) Good luck chaps,pm me if you think I can help more or you want specifics.
HTH,Phil.

donn

Newly Enlightened
In Liverpool visit an outdoor shop called 'Adapt Outdoors', its on Richmond Street in the city centre. They usually have glowrings in stock. Liverpool aint far from Chester (bout a 1/2 hr train journey). Lovely city. Theres a shop there called 'Soldier of Fortune' on ?Lower Bridge Street I think. They have glowrings and other such stuff. And Manchester (bout 50mins by train) has a mil surplus shop called 'New Cross Army Surplus' on Tib Street in the city centre.
In Liverpool visit the Willianson Tunnels. http://www.williamsontunnels.com/
Pretty cool. And dark
Hope this helps
D.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the time I was finished at the customers (this was work), the sidewalks were rolled up in city center. Now I am out in the east of London (Maidstone area) and the pickings so far have not been as good as in Liverpool. I don't plan on fighting the London traffic this time.

In an unrelated note, I was just at Canterbury. Miserable drizzle-rain and a service on in the chapel so I did not get a decent tour. Next door to the entrance to the cathedral grounds is a Starbucks. Hopefully the pics come out decent.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found Maplins. They had a 1 watt luxeon in a sex toy looking body on discount for 17 pounds (about 30 bucks) and I got a divers torch. Cool place like Radio Shack used to be with all the components.

Did not see any tritium key fobs though. Wandered into some outdoor stores and found the usual collection.

Totally unrelated to this thread.

Anyone see the new stainless and rubber Dorcy Boss? I saw one before I came over here. Not as much stainless as the Sears version but smartly accented with stainless.

Back to the thread now.

I did pick up four lights. Customs should have fits. Especially with the sex toy light. Pics to follow.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heere are some pics of my recent trip to the UK. I went to Canterbury and it was raining plus Sunday services had most of the cathedral closed. So I got this pic. Note the shop to the right of the entrance to the Cathedral Grounds.

f8e40d80.jpg

Now on to the lights.

f8e40d85.jpg

The two blue ones were a set. AAA single with lens that almost made it a wide beam like an ARC AAA with a tail clickie. The other blue was a 5 led 2 AA. Kind of cheap (7 pounds) but still working. The long grey "sex toy" came from Maplins and was a discounted luxeon 1 watt LD with deep reflector. Can't wait to change it out with a HD. The yellow was also from Maplins and is a "dive" light. 50' 8 led. Decent brightness and a rubbery PVC coating. Nice and grippy, 10 Pounds at the store, 19 in the catalog. The silver one is a cheap incandescent I might fit a luxeon into. Prices were decent until you had to kick in the exchange rate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif

The TSA security screener in Philly was embarassed when he opened my camera bag to find the "toy". At first he didn't know what it was and handed it to a supervisor. He flicked it on and looked at the kid like he was a twit. Then the kid commented that I had more lights in my bag than he had at home. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif