Wierd Al's parents past away.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Re: Wierd Al\'s parents past away.

Get CO detectors. They can save your life. They saved mine.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast

Be careful with propane heaters in a tent or cabin too. Three teenage boys died while ice fishing, here, some years back. One of them was the son of a friend.

We have a CO detector in the basement and one near the bedrooms - both battery back-up.

Smoke detectors are so cheap that one belongs in each room except the kitchen and bathroom. If you've got a basement put a couple down there too.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

for a while i used a propane tank from a grill and a camp heater to heat house but i dont do that nov more i figure no heat is better. and man if they wasmy parent and i was a music star they would be liveing a in a great house with proper heat. ya gota take care of ya parents

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

CO has taken several lives (whole families) here in Alaska once again this past winter. Anchorage just passed a law (updated the building code) that requires CO detectors - smoke detectors are already required.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

In fall of 1991 I was assigned to a carbon monoxide poisining that killed a family of ten. Parents, kids, young adults. Everyone that was in the house died. There was a malfunction in the natural gas furnance.

I have had a detector in the house since then and in 1993 it became law in Illinois.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

The catalytic heaters burning propane aren't making CO , they just use up all the O2 in the small enclosed space and you die the same way. If they are broken though or otherwise not working properly they will both produce CO and use up all the 02.

Weird Al has been a part of my life since Jr High when we all learned all the words to "Eat It" I'll head over to one of his official sites and join in with those expressing their condolences for this horrible accident!

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

Unstated in the news is the competence of his parents. If they were very old, even with a CO monitor, they may not have known how to use it properly (plug it in) or when to use it. My mother has Alzheimer's (she's 84) and I'm 57. You'd be surprised at how badly age can sap your physical and mental abilities. Maybe Al should have been paying closer attention.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

well in my family my dad went and got my gradma and she now lives with him and my stepmom she is doing so much better with him.but man is she mean lol.my dad says its some thing old people get i think he says demitia or some thing that sounds like that.she is like 70 i think

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

Dementia is tough, whatever the root cause. In our case, we were able to place our mother in a home and the Nova Scotia government covered the cost. It can be very stressful caring for incompetent parents or relatives. I hope your Dad and Grandmother are doing well, raggie. I bet your Dad has his hands full.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

it is tough for him for sure. they had her in a home but she didnt eat ,and lost a lot of weight and was kinda abusive to the staff.since he had her she gained good weight i think she is 90 lbs no i forget what she was. she tells my dad she wont eat he says well you dont get ya drive in the country today ,so she eats sometimes she throws it away lol but he moniters her weight .she loves when my dad takes her for rides

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

These types of accidents are really a bummer.

Suprisingly, there are a couple climates that have higher than average deaths from CO. One is in a mild climate and the other is in a very cold places.

In the moderate climes people use space heaters more because their houses don't have the insulation/high output furnaces that the colder climates do, so they have more accidents. 20 years ago one of the leading causes of death in Japan was space heaters, for this reason.

Since the big energy crunch of the late seventies there have been more accidents of this type in the cold, northern areas because people have sealed their houses up much tighter in an effort to reduce their energy consumption. If you live in an 'energy effecient' house up north you must be much more careful to assure adequate ventilation with portable heaters than if you live in another clime.

Saaby

Flashaholic

I should have clarified.

EVERYBODY should have CO detectors. It was our high-output whole house furnace that broke and started belching out CO. Had it not been for the detectors I may not be writing this today. Fortunately the thing broke in the middle of the day though, so who knows.

eggbert

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, Wierd Al was supposed to play a show here in Columbus a few years ago with my friend's band, but he cancelled at the last minute because the venue was not to his liking... what an asshole! I guess karma catches up to you one way or another.

Frangible

Enlightened

Weird Al is a great guy, and this is a tragic event to happen to anyone. It also sadly reminded me to go buy a CO detector for my house.