Cheap source for Fluke DMM fuse?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif D'oh! I never thought it would happen to me, but it did. I just popped the fuse in my meter, a "DMM-11A". Apparently these are quite pricey with a cursory search. Anyone know a cheap source to pick up one of these? I have a spare that I can use right now, but I want to be prepared for "next time'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Peter

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem, there should be a spare there (you don't plan on blowing more than one, right?).....

Depending on which value, Jameco has 'em. They have two ampers in 5x20 mm fast blow, but you'll need to use 250 mA if it's 200s you're looking for, the closest value they stock. Bad news is ya gotta buy ten minimum, good news is they're twenty cents each in tens, $2 total. P/N 013915 and 103886 respectively.

Interesting screen name, considering the problem......

Doug Owen

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply Doug, I do have a spare that I have used. I need to replace the spare just in case I do it again.

The fuse that came out it a "Buss DMM-11A", it's a big sucker (10 x 38mm).

The screen name is a coincidence, but it is kinda funny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Peter

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the same one in my DMM and a spare cost $11 - that's a buck an amp! They have, IIRC, a 20kA interrupt rating at 1kV. For safety stick with the original interrupt ratings.

bikeNomad

Newly Enlightened
I drove down to Fluke's office to pick one up (it's about 30 minutes from where I live). It was about $11 as I recall too. You could just call them and get them to send you one.

If you're in the US, you can call them at 1.800.526.4731
They also have an online store at https://buy.fluke.com/estore/parts.asp

If your meter is an 87 or something like it you need the #803293 fuse.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still think you need to decide if you really need $11 worth of protection. Much more common (low cost) fuses with the same amp ratings will provide protection unless you're working with thousands of Volts and huge stored energy (the reason for the 'funny fuse' in the first place, Fluke didn't use it 'cuz they had 'em lying about).

I've even been know to short out a fuse (in the field), and just plan on either being more careful or replacing the meter until I can get another.

Doug Owen