LED conversion bulb

K

kimbomc

Doe anyone have any comments on this bulb on www.cfrproducts.co.uk I am very interested in buying one but would welcome any comments from anyone who has bought something like this in the past.

Thanks for looking

kimbomc

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
25,000 mcd? isn't that about what 3 regular 5mm LEDs will output?
"White Leds require about 4 volts to light up correctly so you would need 4 volts, the minute the battery goes below 4 volts the LED will not light even though the batteries still have lots of power left within them." Yeah right!!
No, I have none, and will not be buying any. Doesn't seem like anything you can't do on your own. Also, you can buy a micropuck with a luxeon LED for $20 and still fit it into a PR base.

Christopher

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if you know what your talking about!!! We manufacture LEDs and if there threshold is 4 volts and you have 3 volt battery it will not light up and if it was to it would be very dim like your self. Micropuck are not very small and they are expensive around 10$, they certainly would not fit in a flash light bulb housing, they also need more then 2 volts to work so your still wasting batter power where as this LED will still work with less then a volt. I like this LED and I know they work very well it would not look right with three 5mm LED sticking out the top!!!!

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Christopher said:
I'm not sure if you know what your talking!!! You cannot add two 5,000 mcd LEDS together and get 10,000 mcd it does not work like that…

[/ QUOTE ]

But that is *exactly* how it does work. Light from each will add, and 'photons per square foot' will double if you use two.

Dem's da rules.

Doug Owen

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
"25000 mcd, a lot brighter than an ordinary flashlight bulb..."

I think a more meaningful measure is lumens. How many lumens does it put out? Also there are several PR based LED lights that although may cost twice as much, probably gets more than twice the performance. A good comparison on a $$ for performance is the Everled. The particular light in question does not appear to use high power LED's, rather it looks like traditional 3mm or 5mm type LED cluster. At least the 25000mcd rating would seem to indicate so. Anyway, for $18.50 USD, I think there may be better options out there. But it's nice to see other people regulators into PR based lights. They also have Luxeon star LED's so I may be off in assuming this is not based on high power LED's.

CM

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Lumens is a unit of measure that VERY FEW of us are equipped to measure. You need a special instrument called an "integrating sphere" to perform this measurement, and I'm aware of only one CPFer that has access to one of these instruments. And that CPFer is not me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I measure LEDs and flashlights in mcd or foot-candelas.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
Lumens is a unit of measure that VERY FEW of us are equipped to measure. You need a special instrument called an "integrating sphere" to perform this measurement, and I'm aware of only one CPFer that has access to one of these instruments. And that CPFer is not me.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how come we don't just manually intetrate a flashlight? Use a pair of stepper motors to pan the beam past a fixed FC sensor. A few hundred pixels should do fairly good. We only need to worry about a fairly narrow area, no need to worry about what's behind us....

I'm guessing maybe a couple hundred bucks for a PC based system, less if you cobble something up on the cheap.

Doug Owen

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, you're right. I admit, I don't have a sphere either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Anyway, mcd ratings are misleading unless it's accompanied by other data. It's data with no point of reference. I don't want to sound harsh but 25,000mcd has no meaning for me other than it's equivalent to roughly 3 Nichia white LED's, which is not all that bright.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i know i won't be buying one!

"This bulb is 25,000 mcd, a lot brighter than an ordinary flashlight bulb."
ridiculous! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

"This has been tried before but they were very expensive and they would not step the voltage up. White Leds require about 4 volts to light up correctly so you would need 4 volts, the minute the battery goes below 4 volts the LED will not light even though the batteries still have lots of power left within them."
as everyone here knows, this is complete crap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Christopher said:
...would be very dim like your self...
need more then 2 volts to work...

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have been welcoming you to the forum now, if not for the reactionary post.
And what's up with insulting a potential customer?
We have more tact than that here, Christopher.

(The word "than" would have been nice to use, while assaulting the intelligence of another.
Also, some puncuation and sentence structure would have helped your case some too.)

Christopher

Newly Enlightened
OK, you don't have to bye one, and as far as I can tell you have not brought one so making coments like it wont step the voltage up is crap!!! Our company has just sold £10,000 wroth of these bulbs, thy would not have brought them if they did not work. As for not being brighter then an ordinary bulb again you have not tried this products!!! The LEDs we use are manufactured by our own company, the LED is 4 to 5 volts to work, if you go below 4 volts the LED will not work, again I don't remember sending to the US so I can't see how you could have tested them. I don't mean to be rude you are the one that seems be talking crap!!!!

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Christopher,

Welcome to CPF. Please tell us about your product:

Is it regulated, that is does the brightness change with voltage?

The lens looks frosted, is it? Does it focus well in a normal flashlight (or 'torch' there I guess?)?

Does it have a pattern of it's own (that is does it project a beam or spot), or is it a radial source like a normal flashlight bulb?

What is the beam angle on that 25,000 mcd reading? What is the drive voltage and current at that time?

TIA

Doug Owen

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Christopher said:
OK, you don't have to bye one, and as far as I can tell you have not brought one so making coments like it wont step the voltage up is crap!!! Our company has just sold £10,000 wroth of these bulbs, thy would not have brought them if they did not work. As for not being brighter then an ordinary bulb again you have not tried this products!!! The LEDs we use are manufactured by our own company, the LED is 4 to 5 volts to work, if you go below 4 volts the LED will not work, again I don't remember sending to the US so I can't see how you could have tested them. I don't mean to be rude you are the one that seems be talking crap!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, so he claims to make his own LEDs, but the web page says that generic white leds need 4 volts to work. Now he says that the ones his company makes die instantly at 4 volts.

The web page claims they are "suppiers and wholesalers" of gadgets, and list a lot of things including luxeons. This guy may be legit, but I would not send him a credit card.

Daniel

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sleepy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif
Anyone have the disputed parts on hand for testing?
What is needed is facts,
Like this, but maybe better http://www.geocities.com/cpf_3rd_shift/Trilight3_3dcase_vs_4dcase.html?1081707898010
Not this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/xyxgun.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
Again, I agree with Doug Owen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
christopher registered with CPF on 4/10/04 at 03:31 PM. kimbomc (who started this thread by asking a seemingly innocent question) registered on 4/10/04 at 03:44 PM. This is the third time in the last 24 hours that I've come across someone trying to hawk their merchandise on CPF in an underhanded manner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
3rd_shift said:
Anyone have the disputed parts on hand for testing?
What is needed is facts...

[/ QUOTE ]
I did request an evaluation sample of one of these bulbs to add to my website, so all I/we can do now is wait and see what happens.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
nikon... wanna hear something even more "innocent"? They both have the same exact (right down to the last number) posting IP. Yeah... we're just a bunch of stupid flashlight freaks, I guess... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif