Mclux PR-T reflector?

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have a Mclux PR-T, it's very nice but i was wondering if the reflector can be modified? the light comes out in similar fashion to the NXO5 with the small hotspot surrounded by a big round sidespill. can it be modified to have a bigger hotspot and relatively no sidespill? kinda like the Fraen when compared to the NXO5.
thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
theoretically yes, but practically I do not think so. would be much easier to use a KL1 and replace the NX05 with the Fraen and let someone do the LED and driver upgrade for you ...
But in the end, I have no clue about this technical stuff, so you might as well ignore my babbling and wait for someone more qualified to say "no" ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
bernhard

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling, first let me say thankyou for that extremely helpful "Gargantuan" thread. that thread was the reason i bought this PR-T. i wanted something with good throw and out of all the pictures, those PR heads had great throw for the size ratio.
i don't think a KL1 fraen would out throw a PR head, would it?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could get more of a flood out of a PR if you bead blast the reflector, but you won't get a beam like you would out of a Fraen LP.

Any reflectored light, those I've seen anyway, will have a hotspot surrounded by a good sidespill. I'm not real clear as to what you are trying to achieve. If you were able to modify the PR's beam characteristics to achieve what you are asking, you will effectively do away with all sidespill and reduce throw by more than half.

If you really need a light with the characteristics that you describe, I would suggest getting a KL1 and having it modded to suit your needs. You could have a Fraen fitted for the PR-T, but that would be a waste of a perfectly good PR-T.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, you may be able to achieve what you are looking for by spacing the reflector farther away from the luxeon. It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it may come close.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
i want to get rid of the sidespill flood and have a bigger hotspot throw. so basically all the sidespill to be focused in with the existing hotspot to give it more throw. can this be done?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
All reflectors such as this will have artifacts that manifest themselves as sidespill. It's physics and geometry. The PR was not really designed for a Luxeon emitter and thus is not "perfect"; however it does an excellent job of photon management. If you do not want any sidespill, a custom reflector tailored to the emission pattern of the LED must be designed. Pelican did this with their "recoil" LED reflector system in which the LED is backwards firing towards the reflector. I don't recall the proper terminology to describe this technique (is it a refractor?) but it does focus a considerable amount of the light into the main beam with very little spillover. Unfortunately, this type of setup requires the LED to be suspended above the reflector with minimum obstruction of the beam. This makes heatsinking somewhat problematic. If you take a look at this (courtesy of McGizmo) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Pelican Reflector , you can see what I mean. So the quest for the perfect beam continues.

CM

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If you are after a "mono" beam that isn't a broad flood, then you need a reflector set up like the Pelican that CM mentioned or you will want an optic that does a good job of merging the reflected portion of the light with the refracted portion. The best example of this commercially available at this point is the X200, IMHO.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah, forgot about the X200. That's got to be the most effective optic I've seen so far. Considering it's size and what it has to work with (the large emitter area of the 5W LED) it does a pretty phenomenal job. Unfortunately, the only way to get the optic is to go buy the X200. Yeah, that's the ticket, get one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
CM,
The X200 is coupled with a Lux III so it isn't doing quite the amazing task you have credited to it. None the less, even with the single die, it is amazing what it does given its physical size! It is all rather moot from a build your own position since the only source for the optic is in a destructive removal from a X200 which sets its price well above what one would consider as reasonable!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the X200 used a 5W. Hmmm, I need to get out more often. As far as "removing" the optic, I really meant just gettting the X200 and using it as a "non tactical" flashlight.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
THE_dAY ... no, the KL1/Fraen would not outthrow the PR, but it has a rather concentrated, uniform "come of light" as Charlie named it. The throw of this is very respectable. You might want to do a search on the Fraen LP optic and should find all the info you'd ever need. I am no expert on this as I am a "semi-flood user" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard